Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 13:35:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any suggestions on detailed track for testing gear (Read 7935 times)
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Any suggestions on detailed track for testing gear
11/22/16 at 16:16:07

Guys,
What songs/tracks would you recommend that would determine how well an amp picks up all the little nuances from it. I'm testing another system along side the Torii Jr and the differences I hear are subtle. I need some tracks that will help differentiate any differences in what each amp is capable of doing.
Thanks,
Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Any suggestions on detailed track for testing gear
Reply #1 - 11/22/16 at 17:49:37

Rick, here are two that I use.

This one will usually show subtle details of spatial cues and instrumental images as its sparse instrumentation and arrangements leave a lot of space and details of the acoustic instruments and their environment are exposed.

And this one I listen for congestion or lack of congestion in the different layers and the speed and clarity of the percussion, these usually tell me quite a bit about the amps and speakers.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/22/16 at 18:52:58

Thanks Lon,
I'll give those a listen.
Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/22/16 at 19:09:13

Rraymond, I like this.
Yes, I like Madonna from back in the day.
The songs are well recorded and the frequency range is from top to bottom.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/22/16 at 20:01:08

The Classic Records gold CD. Wonderful.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/22/16 at 20:55:42

If anyone knows what is out there it is Lon.  He's probably heard everything by now...seriously.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 11/22/16 at 21:00:09

Match,

Not only has he heard it...he owns it too!!!

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 11/22/16 at 21:18:01

Nah, I don't own that much. Just about 20,000 now (have thinned the herd somewhat, more thinning to come next year).

I love discs, and I've spent so much on them. . . but not complaining.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 11/23/16 at 07:44:44

Hey Rick...

I have from HD tracks the Joss Stone Soul Sessions Volume2.  Great disc...but specifically the song "Sideway Shuffle".  The separation on the intro is excellent.  

Also the song " I Got the.." is also another great song.  

Honestly....I can listen to this album over and over....big fan!!  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/23/16 at 19:25:33

Hi Rick

Below are a few tracks from different styles of music that I enjoy listening to when evaluating a new component, etc...  All of these are digital, either CD's or streamed via TIDAL.  I don't have any experience with the vinyl pressings of these albums.  

Yo-Yo Ma: Inspired by Bach: The Cello Suites (Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major)

Olafur Arnalds: The Chopin Project (Entire Album really, Eyes Shut - Nocturne in C Minor)

Branford Marsalis: Trio Jeepy (The Nearness of You)

Ryan Adams: Live at Carnegie Hall (Entire Album)

Kings of Convenience: Riot on an Empty Street (Cayman Islands, I'd Rather Dance with You)

Melody Gardot: My One and Only Thrill (If The Stars Were Mine, Your Heart Is As Black As Night)

Stevie Ray Vaughn: Couldn't Stand the Weather (Tin Pan Alley)

Dave Brubeck Quartet: At Carnegie Hall (Castillian Drums)

Cecile McLorin Salvant: Woman Child (Entire Album)

Bill Evans: Trio 64 (Entire Album)

Brian Bromberg: Wood (The Saga of Harrison Crabfeathers)

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/24/16 at 23:02:35

Thanks guys, lots of goodies to listen to here!
Rick

IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #11 - 11/28/16 at 01:49:31

Great recommendations!  This is an example of a chart to read (blown up, of course!) while listening critically to music.  I use it to remind me of what I'm listening to (i.e., musicians and instruments)

EQ_reference.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print