Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 12:31:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's the deal with Klipsch? (Read 9997 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

What's the deal with Klipsch?
10/17/16 at 21:10:50

Klipsch seem to have a love/hate relationship with people.
Some time ago I went to a friend of a friend's house to listen to his Klipsch floorstanders.  He wanted to hear the Decware blue Torii and I wanted to hear the Klipsch.  We plugged in and played a few things.

Dang, my Torii has some amazing slam and dynamics.

That guy offered me a wad of cash for the Torii but I passed on it.
I used the Torii with the MG944s and I loved it but I always used a subwoofer with it.
That sound with the Klipsch has been stuck in my head.

This is the kind of thing that causes me to have a change in direction.

I'm so confused.

IP Logged
Barnharty
Ex Member

Re: What's the deal with Klipsch?
Reply #1 - 10/17/16 at 21:50:43

I have a pair of Cornwalls and I love them. Any time I listen to other people's setups, or at a hifi shop, the sound is really dull and lifeless to me. I think what turns people off at the start is that they are really in your face and to a point, that might sound shrill to some.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/17/16 at 22:16:51

Modified La Scalla's here.  The first thing everyone says when the hear them is "They sound really big".  Their high sensitivity factor makes them a slam dunk for a Set amp.

But, some folks just don't like em.

IP Logged
DONZI
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/20/16 at 20:41:02

I began with Heresy I's twenry years ago, sold them to my brother who still has them. Upgraded to Cornwall I's, sold them to a friend who still has them. Dabbled in Magnapans and was disappointed. Now I own a pair of MINT 1986 Klipsch Belle's with upgraded Crites tweeters and crossovers. They are not for sale.
I love my Heritage Klipsch!

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/20/16 at 21:31:52

Donzi, that's interesting.

The Klipsch I heard were not of the Heritage variety.  They were the new fangled kind.  I've always heard that Klipsch horns had a nasty glare but I didn't hear that at all with my Torii.  

I see Klipsch on Craigslist all the time.  There are a couple of people selling various versions of the Heresy for a okay price.  I've got an urge to pull the trigger and see what happens.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/21/16 at 16:40:25

The old Reference Series are nice speakers. I used the original RF-7's for over 10 years in my main system with Zen, Super Zen and UFO. These were plenty loud but with only two watts still required a sub for real Rock & Roll.

Should note the RF-7's can sound a bit shrill with a number of solid state amps I tried. As far as solid state the best combo I found was my Peachtree 220SE (220 watts / channel) with the RF-7's. With this kind of power they will go very loud and pound out the bass but you probably won't want to listen at these levels regularly. The Peachtree sound is very smooth on the ears with Klipsch.

The UFO has much more detail & space at moderate listening levels compared to solid state amps I have used (this includes the Peachtree). My RF-7's now reside in my second system with a Super Zen and sometimes the Peachtree.

My main system now has Single Driver Omega Monitors (no crossover) and custom dual Subs. IMO eliminating the passive crossover makes a big difference. Since for my taste I require a sub, I prefer Monitor speakers to towers. Monitors are easier to place and generally sound tighter to me. Like everything else audio, there are exceptions.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/21/16 at 19:55:58

I have not had much experience with good bass from a Decware amp unless a sub was part of the setup.  My 15wpc blue Torii did okay with what I now think were RF-7ii floorstanders.  That being said I'd like to setup a bedroom system with a couple of Heresys and a sub attached to a SE84UFO.   I think that would create good results.

IP Logged
DONZI
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 10/21/16 at 20:52:00

My Belle's are simply delightful with the 2.3 watt Zen. No "glare" or "harshness", at least to my ears. Please note, I'm no audiophile. The heritage series seem to hold their value well enough in the used market and they also seem to sell quickly. I think used Hereseys are a good start and as they are "small" Klipsch and relatively inexpensive and easy to sell. They will lack some low end bass and may require supplementing with a subwoofer. I've seen them used for 300-1000 depending on finish, condition, and series (I, II, III). Had my first pair for 18 years, my brother now owns them and uses them daily.
Klipsch has a forum with a ton of info and some really nice folks. It might be with a look.  

Cornwalls, La Scalas, Klipschorns, and Belles are LARGE speakers and may not sell as quickly as the Hereseys if you don't like the sound.

Grady

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/21/16 at 22:03:50

Matchstikman wrote on 10/21/16 at 19:55:58:
I have not had much experience with good bass from a Decware amp unless a sub was part of the setup.  My 15wpc blue Torii did okay with what I now think were RF-7ii floorstanders.  That being said I'd like to setup a bedroom system with a couple of Heresys and a sub attached to a SE84UFO.   I think that would create good results.

Based on my experience with the UFO and RF-7's, I think what you are proposing would be a real nice combo.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #9 - 10/22/16 at 15:37:28

I have owned Belle',s Klipschorns, Cornwalls, Chorus II's, Heresy III's, RF-7II's. I regret not hearing any of them on a Decware amp. I wish I could here them on my JR.. I would recommend to anyone to try them, they are fun dynamic speakers.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/25/16 at 04:03:10

Matchstickman,

I know where there is a pair of the Cornwall III's for sale right now!   Wink  Just saying.   Seriously, if I knew I was gonna have a decent room for them in the next ten years, I would hang on to them.

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/25/16 at 04:16:18

Blue, I'd gladly jump on a good offer for a set of Cornwalls but truth is, I don't have space for them.  Them things are wide and I don't have that kind of space.  I have a pair of MG944s that barely fit.  I mean, I don't have anything close to a descent place to setup my gear.

I'm in the middle of searching for new digs.   But, I will have to wait until then.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/25/16 at 04:47:34

Yeah, you have the same issue I do, just a different variety of space issues.  

On another note, you mentioned bass lacking in the Decware amps?  I kind of thought so too.  But would you believe that now with the HR's I sometimes wonder if I have too much.  Again, I pretty much mitigated this with placement.  

More than ever I'm sure the room dimensions and shape plus the lack of adequate treatments hurts the sound.  This was another path that took me to the HR's.  I live in a church parsonage and they really don't want me mucking with hanging clouds and putting in bass traps and absorption and refraction pieces.  So I'm using wooden slats on blinds with the louvers on same canted in different directions, plus lots of seating and rugs for absorption.  

One of the guys who came for the auditions I mentioned has a dedicated and treated room.  He says mine sounds just as good. I haven't heard his, so I'm not so sure.  But.... we have made progress, so every little bit helps.  

Here's to you finding both your space and bass!

J

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/25/16 at 08:37:58

Anybody ever compare Bob Crites' stuff (specifically the Cornscala) to vintage Klipsch?

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 10/26/16 at 16:07:26

Matchstick,
I have Forte II's with a pair of bridged Rachels, and KLF30s with a ZMA.  The sound is absolutely amazing.  I used Crites for rebuild of the Crossovers in both pairs of speakers, as well as new Ti diaphragms for the tweeters.  Nothing has been able to touch their imaging and sweet, full sound.  The combo of horns and high sensitivity are fantastic.

DECWARE: SE34I.2, HDTs; CSP2, TABOO, Zen Styx, RL 1.5s; Mystery Amp, ZDAC-1, Klipsch KLF-30s; Bridged Raches with Klipsch Forte IIs and Monoliths
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print