Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 10:49:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tube glass loose in base (Read 4663 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

tube glass loose in base
10/06/16 at 04:24:00

I know some of you veteran tube-a-holics out there have probably encountered a tube, probably NOS, that the glass of the tube body was not securely seated in/fastened to the base.  Did you ever try to somehow reattach it?

I have some NOS RCA 0A3's, which I have been using for over a year.  They work and sound great, but the glass is not firmly affixed in the base of either tube.  So I have to remember to be careful when handling them - "remember" is the key word here.....

is there some high-heat epoxy or something a guy could tighten these up with?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: tube glass loose in base
Reply #1 - 10/07/16 at 22:15:34

MD,

It is hard for me to develop the habit of pulling tubes by the base too...a good idea I think even with solid base connections. But good ideas don't always prevail here, and grabbing the glass seems so natural!

I have used Gorilla brand super glue with success. The trouble is that is stiffens with time in the tube after opening. At least it did here in the NM desert. Fresh it is close to being too viscous to make its way into the narrow gap between glass and base. But it is what I had and it worked well fresh. It can work a little thicker too, but is very hard to get it to go into the gap without leaving a fair bit outside, making cleanup difficult...and leaving some noticeable residue. If it gets too thick, it won't go deep enough into the gap to hold.

I tried some clear super glue jewelers use which is very thin. It went in the gap great, but did not hold as well...perhaps a little too thin???

Makes me think that just some regular old super glue from the hardware store might be good...if I recall correctly, it is somewhere in between these two in viscosity....seems to me that some years ago I tried some that worked well but can't recall the brand.

Hope this helps.

Will

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 10/10/16 at 05:29:47

The correct glue to use is a polyacrylic, like Weldbond.

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 10/10/16 at 17:19:19

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/11/16 at 16:00:42

Thanks. Good to know about the Weldbond. I actually have some around!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #5 - 10/11/16 at 16:18:20

which I just found out about at Zenfest this past weekend.... the Weldbond... from Bob, Steve and LR... thanks guys..!!!

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print