Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:27:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using a preamp with an integrated amp (Read 3225 times)
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Using a preamp with an integrated amp
09/21/16 at 11:13:40

Hi guys
im really interested in trying the new Version of the small SET mono for my second system, or rather my new main system. If I also get a csp3, will the preamp section still be in use? Or could this part of the amp design be left out of the Chain? Is it good idea? Source will be zp3, and a dac.

I hope the question isnt to stupid, and my Logic, which may not be correct, is that there will be two preamps in the chain, and that, in my head, shouldnt be necessary.

If this Logic is correct, does anyone know if  Decware will be willing to custombuild two mono amps With no preamp section, but to be fed by a CSP3?

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Using a preamp with an integrated amp
Reply #1 - 09/21/16 at 21:13:35

jorgan- as I understand it with Decware, at least the two amp we own, do not have a pre-amp in them though they may/do have volume controls. I have a TT>ZP3>Rachael amp> Omega speakers. Plenty of volume most of the time. Look at the ''contact'' info on the website and get the question into Steve. He is very flexible and will build just about anything you could need. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #2 - 09/21/16 at 23:54:24

Decware amps simply have an "input attenuator" on them - not really a "preamp" built in.  
They can be used with or without a preamp.  Sometimes you need the additional voltage gain of a preamp, depending on what amp you're using.  I think the Taboo needs a preamp.  I have a Torii and I use it with and without a preamp - but mostly "with" because I want all my sources hooked up all the time - and I want remote control of the volume.  I do prefer a tube preamp also.... though there are some pretty good solid-state ones around these days.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/22/16 at 00:58:32

Jorgen,

I have run my ZP3 through my CSP2+ then through my Zen Torii III in the past. Although it seems rather redundant I enjoyed the ability to control volume at two ends. I have found that the simplicity of ZP3 direct to the Torii III with great cabling eases the need for the 2nd preamp in the chain.
To each their own but besides excess cash expenditures for cables it does expand capibilities. As a side note it can lead to significant others thinking you are insane for your constant adjusting/manipulations of knobs and such.

JD

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print