Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 04:04:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amp Base Wood Confusion (Read 8237 times)
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Amp Base Wood Confusion
09/20/16 at 14:58:26

As I read through Rraymonds Torii Jr. classified ad, I noticed there was some confusion about the amp base woods. I'll try to clarify whats going on...

The first plate amps needed wooden bases, walnut was chosen for this as well as offering the molded wood base. When I lived in AZ I was buying west cost walnut which my yield from each board was 80-90% of each board.

For reasons Rick stated, walnut I was able to buy since moving to NC, was mostly the outer edges of the tree which has a lot of sap wood, which is ugly and very white compared to the heart wood. I was throwing away at least 50% of the wood I was buying!

The new wood we use now is Sapele, which if bought in the correct widths needed yields 90% or more, literally just throwing away the the very edges of each board. But, it needed to be dyed (not stained) to mimic the color of the walnut bases we had been selling. Cost per board ft is roughly 30% more expensive than that of the walnut, but the yield is much better, and Steve agreed to the change.

Now when ordering a custom wood, I.E. cherry, maple, or even oak, you are getting exactly those woods. No stain, dye or otherwise. The main reason for the cost increase has more to do with the fact that the "walnut" bases are ordered in quantity, where as the "custom" woods are a one offs for the most part, and have to be built one at a time, so set up, to build one amp base has to be considered. Let alone, having to go to town to buy just one board to make the base.

In the case of exotics, its a cost of board and shipping to get the one board to me. Sometimes shipping being the major cost of the wood. I just did a Ziricote base, and the wood for the base (and it was just enough to build the base) cost me $98.+ cost of shipping.

There have been a few times when a board was not able to be located,  and I have veneered a complementary wood with the requested wood, but that has been very rare.

Hope this helps!

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Amp Base Wood Confusion
Reply #1 - 09/20/16 at 16:22:26

I looked up Sapele and I think it's a wood that I've used as a substitute for Mahogany.  Looking at my bases the other day, when this first came up, I noticed that they look more like mahogany than walnut.  I always thought they looked awfully red for walnut but since they were said to be walnut, I accepted them as such.  Since I wouldn't have paid extra for a different wood I'm not too concerned but if I were really hoping to match existing walnut in the listening room, Sepele would not be my choice.

Issues are only issues when they come up and I don't think Steve should be calling his bases Walnut if that's not the wood being used.  Why not call it by its more accepted name, "African Mahogany?"

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/20/16 at 17:09:00

I noticed when I tried a Rachel that the wood did not seem to be walnut, a more tropical variant of the open grain structure...sort of walnut pumped up. I really liked it though, so was not upset when my Torii MKIV came with it. The opposite in fact. To me it is generally a more interesting and characterful wood. I would not call mine red, though there is clearly some red iron in the wood, it is more yellow/brown ...not just like lighter walnut, but similar with very slight red undertones.

I wondered about calling it walnut when it did not look like walnut to me, but forgot about it I liked it so much.   Wink

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/20/16 at 21:49:30

Yes, "African Mahogany." For some years now Martin guitars that have been built in the past from US mahogany have been built with sapele as well. Seems some are sapele, some mahogany. The grain is very similar, the color, the tonal characteristics too. I once played four of the parlor size all "mahogany" guitars Martin made in 2008 before buying one, and some were sapele and some mahogany. You could tell only by a bit of grain difference. You could not tell much of a difference at all in the sound, as tone woods they seem to be about the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapele

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
John C
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/23/16 at 20:20:07

Can you say how are the bases finished (oil, lacquer, etc.)?

Thanks.
John

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/27/16 at 16:34:28

Quote:
Can you say how are the bases finished (oil, lacquer, etc.)?

Since no one has answered this, I'll take a shot.

I have 3 bases.  The smaller bases (CSP3 size) look to have a glossy polyurethane finish that looks pretty decent.  My large base on my ZMA looks to have a duller polyurethane finish that, honestly, seems more to mask the wood that bring out the grain.  To me it looks like a water-based finish.   Sad

Personally, I'd like to see an oil finish option or even an unfinished option for those who would like to apply their own preferred finish.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 09/28/16 at 02:07:54

John, Archie,

I can only answer for the bases I build as to the finish I use....As I only build the "Other Woods" and an occasional small run when the other company is so far behind.

I use Catalyzed Lacquer with a vinyl sanding sealer base coat. If someone wanted I'm sure you could get an unfinished base to finish yourself. I'm doing a Z-Rack right now that is unfinished.

For most people, if you were to tell them that they had to re apply oil to the base every 6 months to a year depending on where they lived, I think they would back away. Most people just want to turn the amp on and listen.

I know from what I've seen the other guys use lacquer as well and they have done a pretty good job of finishing from what I saw. With that said, if the coats are applied to close to one an other, the finish can look hungry. But it still has the same number of coats, it just looks like it needs more.

Archie, why would it be OK to sell Sapele under the name African Mahogany when that name is just a marketing name for Sapele? They are not one in the same, but they are from the same family. Sapele usually being much dark and more brown than Honduran (Genuine) Mahogany.

I'm guessing here, the reason the wood was never changed on the web site, because it would confuse people.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
John C
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 09/29/16 at 22:36:16

Many thanks for the responses. My speakers are oiled walnut, but I cannot say I've done the best job oiling them regularly. However, they still look great after 26 years.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 09/29/16 at 22:47:57

My base is red, I wonder how that happened?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/30/16 at 01:16:47

Quote:
Archie, why would it be OK to sell Sapele under the name African Mahogany when that name is just a marketing name for Sapele? They are not one in the same, but they are from the same family. Sapele usually being much dark and more brown than Honduran (Genuine) Mahogany.

I thought AM was just a "common" name for S but I stand corrected.  I guess the best thing would be to call it whatever it is.

I've got a 20 inch wide board of Honduran Mahogany that's over 100 years old and compared to new Mahogany it's super dark brown.  They just don't make it like they used to, I guess.   Sad

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 09/30/16 at 01:24:57

Wood is amazing. It varies regionally too, even the same "tree" will have wood with different characteristics in different climates, elevations etc. The creator has a master plan!

Sure is a lot of nonsense written about "tone woods" in the instrument world, yet . . . I think there is some truth in among the hype and mythology too.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/30/16 at 16:26:47

Years ago I watched a program about what makes a Stradivarius violin special -- wood, age, varnish?  The researcher could take stock, mass produced violins and tune their sound to outstanding but he couldn't approach the magic of the Strad.  He seemed to have come up against the line separating the great from the sublime.  I think he concluded that their was something about the wood and the varnish that he couldn't measure nor reproduce.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print