Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 01:29:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jensen capacitors a rip-off! (Read 5957 times)
Corey
Seasoned Member

Jensen capacitors a rip-off!
09/17/16 at 06:04:04

I was really thinking of sending Steve some Jensen capacitors to build me a custom ZBox then saw the price of them now at Parts Connexion : $174.00 EACH!  Together, the capacitors alone are over half the total price of the entire buffer. I think Steve used Solen Fastcaps in the last one he built me.

No, I think I will just go with the Standard Mundorf Supreme's at $28.00 each.  ;)

Cor

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Jensen capacitors a rip-off!
Reply #1 - 09/18/16 at 05:19:52

Probably wise...  There is a point of diminishing returns that when combined with the marketing technique of elevating the price to elevate the perception, makes one wonder.

Perhaps the the $150 difference applied to better interconnects, or some room treatments would be more audible than the difference between the Mundorf and the Jensen caps mentioned.  It has to be looked at, and the question has to be asked.  

While I have a high respect for good caps because they let you hear a good amp design, I also am well aware that good amp design is perhaps 50 times more important than the difference between these two caps.  I know this because I built the Decware name with 2 watt Zen amps that at the time used 28 cent caps, albeit magical, still only 28 cents.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/18/16 at 18:58:15

Actually Steve the difference is $290.00 between the Jensen and Mundorf's and that doesn't include the 2 taxes here in Canada!.  

Yup, a couple 0.5 meter length's of DSG to run from cd player to buffer, to amp still leaves over a $110.00 left to buy some MDF and build a couple CWALS, and/or hang some cheap blankets on the walls!

I might just go all out and build a couple walls worth of P1312's as I have been working part-time for the past 3 years in a furniture wood-working shop and have access to all the machine/tool's I could possibly conceive to do it right!

https://www.decware.com/p1312.htm  ;)

COR

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/19/16 at 05:23:06

I've been involved with Decware for 15 years now and have never heard a SE84A/B/C Zen.

You did build me a Sony DEC-685 cd player many years ago that used those same forest green capacitor brand. That source simply sounded like real, live music using my HDT's and 2A3 SET amplifier.  28 can sometimes be a special number!

Corey

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 09/26/16 at 05:28:32

Every time I see the title of this thread it makes me cringe a bit because it calls out Jensen capacitors when in fact there are many "hi-end" capacitor brands that offer products with a boutique price.  From a more insider's perspective you know a cap can be made from a variety of materials and the time to wind the cap is similar.  I can see double or triple the cost for trying to use materials which "sound better" but perhaps do not cooperate as well during the manufacturing process.  By the time you multiply that through the retail distribution formula you have something priced as if it were hand made.

Of course if you're mass producing it and it's still priced 100 times higher than a normal cap, it becomes easy to assume the price is mostly markup.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/29/16 at 03:47:25

Okay, so here's a thought :

I spent $250.00 on my amp
$300.00 on a cd player
$200.00 roughly on DSG
A little over $400.00 on caps, drivers, tweeters and passive's to build a pair of HDT MKII's.
I talked to Steve today and he said $100.00 for a stepped attenuator in the ZBox : $649.00

Total is $1799.00;  $300.00 more than I spent on my first Decware amp; SE34-I

I think I am going to spend the extra $350 and get the Jensen copper foil in oil caps for the ZBox. That will push my system to a little over 2 $Grand.  I remember speaking with Eddie Vaughn a few years ago and he said the Jensen copper/oil caps sound "so smooth and soft like butter" were his words.

Here is what Angela.com says about the Jensen's :

Angela/Jensen Copper Foil Paper In Oil Signal Capacitors

"Could these be the best signal capacitors ever made? Many amp builders and guitar technicians all over the world think so. Made by Jensen in Denmark, these paper in oil signal capacitors feature oxygen free copper foil and solid silver lead wires. Not polarized and non-directional. These copper foil caps set the standard for a natural and realistic presentation of music. Yes, they're a little bit better than similarly constructed aluminum foil paper in oil capacitors. These are my personal favorite signal capacitors for my own audio projects; I've even got one in the tone circuit of my Telecaster."

Should sound really good for solid-state when paired with the NOS Allen-Bradley carbon-comps for the cathode and anode's in the ZBox.  Don't really have any other option with just a cheap $300.00 Onkyo CD player!

Corey  :)

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print