04/20/24 at 06:00:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZBOX through PA (Read 3374 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

ZBOX through PA
09/08/16 at 00:20:27

Ok, so this weekend the guys and I went to a jam session at some guy's house.  It was a good time.  But, in between the sets they played music through the PA coming from a CD player.  Well, let me tell you, the sound hurt the ears.  OUCH!  I'm thinking, would a ZBOX make music through a PA a little more pleasant?  Truth be told, I'm the only one that experienced the pain.  Some people thought it sounded good.  

Anyone try this?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: ZBOX through PA
Reply #1 - 09/08/16 at 04:23:33

Not to be crude, but for the some people who think it sounds good, and let's just admit it, it was likely the majority... they will never understand your pain or why it bothers you.  

To make them really get it you have to use props.  

Prop one, the toilet bowel brush.  Bowel brush = how it sounds.  Prop two, asshole.  Asshole = ears.   Now, for those who need a demonstration we just wind a voice coil around the handle of prop one.  In this instance we find that the subject will often prefer that we turn the music volume down as opposed to up and they generally get it pretty quickly.  

For example, they admit that the lower the volume, the longer they can tolerate it, but if you start really cranking it, it's time to visit the parking lot.

If you want to see how long this attitude has been brewing, you can reference my article about the "Nutcracker" located here:  https://www.decware.com/paper05.htm

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/09/16 at 00:29:16

Hilarious Deckert!  :D

Match,

I am really thinking of getting Deckert to build me a ZBox using the 47K NOS Allen-Bradley carbon composition resistors. The soundstage depth will probably be greatly diminished yet who cares, warmth and digital smoothness on female vocals is where its at for me.

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/17/16 at 04:54:35

Steve,

I bought your original "Rachel" which was a 7 watt SET with dual output transformers and could be run in 4 different configurations.  It earned the "Rachel" status because it had dual volume controls.  You used a 4 channel ALPS potentiometer on each side and it had the perfect feel to its "clicks" or steps which numbered 20 levels of volume.

Do you still offer that ALPS potentiometer in tube gear?  I have decided to do a custom ZBox and want to use the stepped ALPS for the volume control.

Thanks Steve!  :)

Cor

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print