Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:04:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inexpensive turntable (Read 12512 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Inexpensive turntable
08/22/16 at 17:26:55

The guy who sits in the cube with me is looking for a inexpensive turntable. Not cheap, but inexpensive! Around $200?
He just bought a cheap Gemtune APPJ PA1501A tube amp and is looking for a turntable to use with it.
I'm sure that he will also need a phono amp also.
The funny thing is that he is going to end up with my MG944's for speakers.
Way overkill!
Any ideas or leads?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Inexpensive turntable
Reply #1 - 08/22/16 at 21:29:01

Have him check out the u turn tables. I am not sure of the $$$. http://uturnaudio.com/turntables
Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/08/17 at 21:15:24

I don't see how these aren't as good as Rega and Music Hall tables.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 04/08/17 at 23:06:11

At first, I looked at the U turn tables in amazement. No matter what, they would be interesting to hear. That would probably be the stopping though. The idea may be spot on, but the implementation is rife for complaints. One of them being tracking error.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/09/17 at 00:57:18

Quote:
The idea may be spot on, but the implementation is rife for complaints. One of them being tracking error.

Why would tracking error be a problem per-se?  I could see vibration mitigation issues but it's a cheap TT so that isn't surprising.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/11/17 at 17:14:38

I believe Randy in Caintuck sold the U-Turn tables in his store. He could probably speak to them in great detail.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Dartman5095
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 08/11/19 at 13:30:03

Hard to beat a good used Technics direct drive table.  I think if your patient you can pick a decent one up on the cheap.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/19/19 at 21:16:03

I do not own a modern turntable, but I have a pal who owns an upper grade Technics about three years old.
I think it is a 1200 something or other for the model number, similar to the classic model which has garnered a great deal of respect.

I really like his turntable. However, I find that two of my very old Dual turntables will play records that make his fancy new one skip.

I have four turntables but the one I mostly use is an older 1280, top line Dual, way back in the day. This thing is a nightmare to adjust properly, but once you get it dialed in, it rocks.

I would not recommend vintage gear to a newbie, though.

I think these newer Technics show promise.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/20/19 at 01:53:45

The Technics 1200GR is their new model "entry level" table.  I think in the $1500 to $2000 price range and the 1200G is their high end version at more like $4000.  I have one of the latter and it is a superior table.  The GR is quite good but not up to the level of the G.  Technics is working on a stratospheric SP model that will come in more like $15K to $20K.

I doubt either the GR or G qualifies as inexpensive.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #9 - 11/13/19 at 15:12:47

Donnie..... When I was looking at turntables two years ago my short list consisted of Rega, Project, and Technics line of turntables.  

I did like Project Carbon DC turntables in the realm of like $400 bucks, but that’s 2x more than what your buddy is looking to spend.  

When I started splitting hairs,  I moved over to the Rega line and felt spending the extra money would be best served.  I wound up going with Rega P2,  but the Rega P1 for like $475 is a nice rig.  

REGA - Planar 1 Plus (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9MJRBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_I2bZDb0ZCPMC3

Here is the project carbon turntable for comparison on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Carbon-Turntable-Ortofon-Cartridge/dp/B00IIMXATU...

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/10/19 at 20:27:45

Does anyone out there have a VPI Prime or Scout or a Clear Audio TT? How do you like it and with what cartridge?

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 12/10/19 at 23:41:16

I once owned a Scout TT. The cartridge used was a Grado Sonata. The TT is fantastic, but I am sure that I would have preferred the sound of a 10X2 by Dynavector. The Grado was a bit soft on top.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print