Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Food at 2016 Zenfest (Read 22832 times)
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Food at 2016 Zenfest
08/11/16 at 05:35:46

Hi All,

Last year I made some grilled snacking items on Saturday and I felt it went over well with everyone who had a bite or two.  So I'm thinking about this year and I'd like to do the same thing.  Well not exactly the same thing, but I'd love to bring some tasty eating for Saturday evening.

I've talked briefly with DeVon and she thinks it is a good plan.  I think it would be very nice to bring herb dijon pork loin and baked pasta or potato casserole.  Veggies could be a salad.

The most important part of this occasion is how to estimate how many people may want to eat.  I would hate to bring too little, but I don't want to overproduce as well.  

So please let me know if you are planning to attend Saturday evening Zenfest 2016.  I need to start planning and get all the details in order.  

Cheers to all, and I hope to see one and all very soon,

Dan

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Re: Food at 2016 Zenfest
Reply #1 - 08/11/16 at 17:52:12

Count me in

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #2 - 08/12/16 at 00:19:59

Dan,

If you're cooking, I'll definitely  be there!

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/12/16 at 05:18:35

Awesome!  I'm glad you guys are on board.  I'm going to do my best to satisfy.  There is something pretty special that happens to a pork loin when you season it, sear it, then finish it in Dijon and herbs.    

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 08/12/16 at 15:55:15

I'm in, Deb too.  I can help with the grilling again if you need/want help.

Dan

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/15/16 at 21:55:25

+1

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 08/20/16 at 18:45:46

OK, I guess I'll come there to.

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/31/16 at 19:10:09

Deckert's funny!

WWW   IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/03/16 at 05:48:27

Yeah...   Wink

One heckuva guy!

IP Logged
David Wilcox
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/03/16 at 14:31:40

Planing trip from North Carolina to meet Decware group.
David wilcox

108+TRUE+GRIT+WAY   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #10 - 09/03/16 at 21:49:22

David,

Glad you are coming, I won't be the only North Carolinian there!

Zygi

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 09/04/16 at 17:43:49

I just figured out that I'm driving to South Carolina when all of you are coming this way.
If I can pull off a little magic I might show up for a couple of hours on Friday evening.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #12 - 09/05/16 at 14:50:15

Would love to see you Donnie, I hope you can make it.

You're not going to Aiken are you?

Zygi

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 09/05/16 at 15:31:04

I'm going to Edisto Island, S.C. for a week of R&R. I seem to enjoy staring off into the ocean while listening to music.  
Edit: How did you know that my Sister lived in Aiken? I might have to stop by there and visit her.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #14 - 09/06/16 at 14:03:35

I didn't know your sister lived in Akin....I was thinking Caterpillar related.

Zygi

Have a good trip!!!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 09/06/16 at 19:27:15

I'll be there too - I'm working on securing a hotel room.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 09/07/16 at 03:47:22

I'm so stoked for this year's fest.  I'll be working on dialing in that rub for the pork loin.  On top of that, I just scored a gigantic "hunk" of Comte Saint-Antoine from a photo shoot.  I'll make some mac-&-cheese to beat the band.  Well not a band playing on any amp or speaker at Steve's..  you know what I'm saying Wink  

Can't wait to see you all.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #17 - 09/08/16 at 22:04:14

I'm in.

Tell what/how to participate in this food event.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 10/01/16 at 18:57:51

Just sitting here Saturday morning with a fresh cup of coffee in my Decware mug, things couldn't be better.  I'm thinking the food I intend to bring.  I'm going to go pick me up some nice pork loins and necessary accompaniments for the rub and seasonings.  Get a nice sear on those pork loins over a grill and finish them in the oven.  Yes, yes, yes.  And grab some pasta, a bit of butter, a bit of dairy for the mac-n-cheese.  It should be real fine.  I just can't wait.  I do hope you all will like it a lot.

I've been fantasizing about Steve's reorganized listening room.  Gosh it looks nice in that picture he posted.  I've never heard the a horn like the Imperial  (sub only in this case) so I'm really stoked.  And to have another listen to those corner horns is a thrill to me.  

By happen-chance, I was forced to remove my preamp from my system, I was saddened so I put my listening on hold- because I didn't think the Torii IV would be able to drive my speakers without a pre.  After 4-5 days without a proper listening session I couldn't take it any longer and said what the heck.  Threw a record on, fired up the phono stage, went direct to the Torii and had to pinch myself.  How could my preamp have hidden as much as it did?  Much less, What is my phono stage hiding?  How is the Torii such a masterful piece?  Sorry to keep on rambling here, I'm just continually impressed with Decware.  

I know I switched gears from food to music but I couldn't help it.  I'm listening while I type and having goosebumps.  Honestly.  I'm glad I went through the process of building a +1000 dollar preamp, I would not change that, and the preamp is truly wonderful.....  but it isn't as good as just leaving it out.  

The only thing I could say is that I guess I'll have to find more efficient speakers.  

Can' wait you all, see you in a week  ;)

Dan  

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/03/16 at 14:26:00

Thanks Dan.  You are definitely priming my senses!

I always enjoy getting ready for Fest weekend.  It kind of kicks off my Fall.  I am lucky enough to be just a few hours away so it’s easy for me to attend.  I couple it with some visiting with relatives who live downstate and dropping my catamaran off at my brother’s farm for winter storage in his machine shed.

Anyway, part of my prep is figuring out what my discovery goals are for the fest.  Yes, a little “structured,” but I have had good success with it in the past.

For example, at my first fest, I discovered Rachael and the DNA horn.  I later bought a Rachael and built the horns.  At another, I heard the Jupiter beeswax caps in a Torii and got them.  I heard the Monoliths and later built my own version of them.  I haven’t bought one yet, but I intend to buy a Zen amp after hearing one nearfield at the Fest.  I met El Presidente (CDApS), Zygi, Randy and many others who dig music and helped me build or buy equipment, room treatments, music, etc.  

So this year, I am wanting to hear what the Zen monos can do coupled with a sub.  How does this differ than my bi-amped OBs with Augies?  How does Steve’s single driver compare to the Tang Band W8 1808’s I am using?  Any tidbits that I can pick up based on what Steve has done to his room?  I want to revisit the UFO transformers in a Rachael.  Should I do this upgrade?

I’ll bring some gear too.  If an opportunity comes up during low traffic times, I may put it in.  I have a power cord I’d like to test and some Western Electric speaker wire.

I am also gathering songs to test certain things: female vocal, deep bass, PRaT, etc.

Again this year, I have limited time there so I hope to make the most of it.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #20 - 10/05/16 at 06:22:40

Just a note... me and Bob Ziegler are watching a UFO while preparing for Decfest. There is every reason to believe it will be out there during the fest, so if anyone has a telescope and is driving here, please bring it so we can see what the hull looks like.  [I'm dead serious, this is not a joke.]

Thanks, and goodnight.

Steve and Bob.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #21 - 10/05/16 at 07:21:28

If anyone coming to the fest has an opportunity to listen at 1:30 AM like we are now....  holy crap it's good.

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #22 - 10/05/16 at 12:45:38

I look forward to some late night listening!

BadWolf
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/05/16 at 18:24:44

I'm in.

Zen OTL, SE84UFO25, Mini Torii II and III, “El Camino” MTM speakers, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, DIY "Zbit", dedicated circuits.
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 10/07/16 at 17:26:19

How are you folks from NC getting there?  I live in Virginia and I'm thinking about blocking out 2017

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 10/10/16 at 16:16:37

Did anyone bring a telescope to see Steve and Bob's UFO?

Brian

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #26 - 10/10/16 at 16:44:15

OK, this UFO thing frustrates me.

I thought it was just another one of Steve's little fun toys, but what I saw late Friday night defied what I've seen and know about aviation technology. Through good Minolta binoculars I could not see any wingspan; the objects were small enough that the lights almost made it seem spherical. And they hovered for extended periods. And being that they had red and white (aviation type) lights, I figured they were simply military style drones (big 55# beasts that can be used for 3d mapping of quarries, thermal imaging of crops on livestock etc).

But then I saw one streak across a large portion of the faster than a jet, and I couldn't see a wingspan on it so I couldn't write it off as a jet (civilian or military), especially after it reached its destination and just started to hover!

Now, to be fair, we saw nothing but lights...no body of the device. We really have nothing to figure out scale or distance.

Saturday and Sunday night, when I had my friend Jason (screen name Jester, but he's not in our forums) who is well versed in known aircraft and spacecraft, we saw nothing that we couldn't quickly write off as a star or a commercial jet. Nothing like we saw on Friday.

I'm still chalking it up to military style drones doing work for farmers - but till I can prove this, I guess they are still Unidentified Flying Objects.

Also, nobody brought a scope, which we kinda regret because the night sky alone would have been worth the effort. Next year if Jester can get the weekend off, I'll make sure he brings his scope, and I'll bring my 80X spotting scope and tripod. Even if it's just to look at the planets and moon.

Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 10/10/16 at 22:27:07

Thank you, Raven. I wondered about this ufo Steve had reported.
Wish I could have seen it.

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #28 - 10/10/16 at 22:41:41

There has been UFO's circling Decware's horizon every night since a week before the fest. Last night I could confirm three for sure and 2 that were too far away to be certain. I have ordered a 6 inch telescope that will enlarge the objects by 280 times and it has video capabilities. Be here next week.

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 10/12/16 at 18:04:19

Oh Steve, that is exciting! I wonder if they were attracted to your festival.

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print