Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 14:26:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you burn in equipment? (Read 2276 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

How do you burn in equipment?
08/05/16 at 16:15:38

I was delivered a new amp about 2 months ago.  I listen to music about 2-3 hours per night or as time permits so I only passed the 100 hour mark not too long ago.  I've got 2 other new components and some cables that aren't there yet so my system has yet to reach maturity.

How do you guys do it?  I know of a guy that leaves his system on for days so that his system has fully burned in about a week's time.  I don't think I could do it that way.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: How do you burn in equipment?
Reply #1 - 08/05/16 at 17:01:54

Look in your manual, but Steve talks about caps "seating," I think where currents from music playing "seat" conductor and dielectric. 5 hours on and 5 off is his general suggestion. This allows pretty complete heat up and cool down each cycle. If you think about it, a lot of what is in there has dielectric and wire, so this concept makes sense overall.

I got a FryBaby2 lately to help, and for wires/cables and caps it has two basic settings. One is "current" for "exercising," conductors, and one is "voltage" for "exciting" dielectric. From the manual: "a combination of wideband noise and variable frequency amplitude modulation – is designed to exercise both low and high frequency characteristics of conductors and insulators." It seems to work, needing a day or two of music to complete the process.

Seems this is the basic idea no matter the approach...to exercise the electronic parts in ways that cover the spectrum of what we can expect from our wide variety of recordings.

Some cable and gear makers say music is the best way to do this, some saying things like the FryBaby and burnin CDs are not good. I don't know, but I have always liked them as a part of the burnin along with music...I think they are designed to run a very wide range of frequencies, speeds and amplitudes, apparently to push things faster than most recordings of music can approximate. When I checked it out some years ago the Esoteric Breakin CD was well reviewed.

I have used the Sheffield Drum Tracks for burnin...nice because the drum tracks have a lot of pretty intense transients, power and frequency variations, "exercising" the parts. Another I use is Gotan Project "La Revancha del Tango" with loads of fast and broad musical information. I have a playlist with a wide range of music and styles I also play. I often will turn these on repeat and let them go while I am doing other things to get through the first stages of burnin with a new component.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Costas
Verified Member

Re: How do you burn in equipment?
Reply #2 - 08/07/16 at 05:34:33

Very good advice from Will

To Be or Not To Be! That's the question...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print