Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:49:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The power of cables... (Read 4303 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

The power of cables...
07/24/16 at 03:21:44

So, I'm not big on the theory that power cords can change the sound of a system; however, I have a belief that interconnects can do some magic.

I have a Bel Canto 1.1 DAC.  If you have ever seen this DAC it is nothing in terms of ergonomics.  In fact, it is a pain to get into a rack and connect.  The inputs are on one side and the outputs are on the other side.

Well, to make a long short not as long, I have a 3 foot Cardas digital cable that I bought many years ago for $$$.  This thing made connecting the setup tough so I bought a $20 6ft Blue Jean Cable digital cable.

I tunred on my system and I immediately how to turn down the volume.  The sound was TOO loud if you can believe that.  For now, that cable is breaking in and it sounds pretty good I must say.

Imagine that; a $20 cable doing a better job than one that cost a couple hundreds bucks some time ago.  Wow.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: The power of cables...
Reply #1 - 07/24/16 at 12:35:56

A lot of people generally recommend a 1.5m (5ft) cable for S/PDIF.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/24/16 at 14:50:13

That is interesting.  I had not heard that before.  See, you learn alot on this site.  At least I do.

So, the article says "at least a 1.5m length digital cable from your Transport to your DAC," and I went from 1m to 2m.  I think it sounds much better than before.  The cable was cheap so I'm thinking of getting a 5ft cable from BJC and test that.  BJC doesn't build by the meter but by the foot and 5ft is as close to 1.5m as I can get.  It should be nothing.

Thanks for the link.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/24/16 at 15:19:36

"at least a 1.5m length"

Your 2m (6' 6") cable is fine. Cool

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/24/16 at 16:40:34

Here's what's funny; if 1.5m is the minimum beneficial length why do high end companies offer it in smaller than 1.5m lengths?

I looked at some Cardas cables and they are many times more expensive than the BJC which is where I have to stop.

At this point, everything on my current system has to be at some congruent level.  Maybe it is just me but I feel that my mid-fi system should stay mid-fi from beginning to end.

However, my plans are to go really high on the next system I build.  I have a few tricks up my sleeve and it may get serious in a year or two.  I shall see.

I'm in the market for a new house and believe it or not but one of the things I want/need is a dedicated room for audio which is important to me so house-hunting has been kind of rough.   But, we shall see what happens.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 07/24/16 at 18:57:27

Let me add one or two pennies here:

In regards to your dedicated room:

I say do so only if it's a BIG room. I had a small room as dedicated audio refuge for years and thought "wow this is cool." And then when I was finally able to get my main system out into a large room WHOLY MOLEY.  . . it was so much better. No more near field listening for me. Room to breathe is what music needs imo.

There I said it. Now I can rest easy. Have a great day MM.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print