Send Topic Print
Capacitor decision (Read 11990 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Capacitor decision
07/20/16 at 05:00:26

My current single cap each Speaker are Mundorf Mcap Supremes 2.2uf, @ 4500Hz.

I want to use Mundorf  Silver/Oils 2.2
OR
Jupiter Copper Foil 2.2 600 volt  (pricey)

Anyone, try one or both?

Thoughts?

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Capacitor decision
Reply #1 - 07/20/16 at 12:35:35

Mundorf MCap Silver in Oil 3,3uF.....check with my guy Joe....to see if I can safely widen the Tweeter range.....or stick with the 2,2's.....no mid-bass hump....so why change? Except, changing to the 2,2 Silver/Oils.

Using the Jupiter Copper Foils has me intrigued though? Using these might be overkill when using as a passive x-over Cap for speaker vs. active coupling in an Amp. But, still curious.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Speaker Capacitor decision
Reply #2 - 07/20/16 at 13:21:38

Reason for upgrade to Silver Oils or Copper Foil (Jupiter), is because of the results I'm getting running my ARC Pre (with its upgraded Caps SE version~now burning in even more) to ZMA/Steve's Jup Cap's choice and his awesome Power design and in-house wound Output Transformer's. You would think I'm driving 175 watts per channel....with the ZMA........but of course, all TUBE!

Need to maximize my Adagio's....so they can keep up.   Grin Cool

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/20/16 at 22:10:44

Don't know if I can help much but here is my experience.

Last year at Zenfest, I heard a Torii III with the copper foil caps and was impressed with the treble extension and sense of space.

Ordered them, installed them and never looked back.  I have Jup's on one of my Racheal's and enjoy them more than stock as well.

If I can find the link to a place that was selling them for less, I will post.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/21/16 at 00:55:59

I guess you have been reading Humble Homemade HiFi??? Some nice passive crossover evaluations.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Another interesting one, here tested as coupling caps;
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/capacitor1.htm

I am on a similar track. I have been listening to some Mundorf Silver/Oil .33 used sort of as bypasses, wired parallel to 3.3 M-cap Supremes that feed my HR-1 tweeters. Now 3.63 uf. This pushes the caps up to the generally suggested max of 10%....sounds good so far but I expect more change with more time, only having them in for a couple weeks. I remember the Supremes taking forever to fully come out, darkish and thickish for a while.

I am also using some .1 Jupiter HTs that more literally bypass the tweeter circuit (speaker wire hot>3.0 duelund standard graphite/silver resistor>mundorf caps>tweeter). The HT runs from the hot speaker wire direct to the tweeter wire.

I got Jupiter Copper Beeswax to replace the Jupiter HTs in my MKIV. They are burning in with my new FryBaby2 right now...The FryBaby seems to do a good job with the big burnin work. Then with the few things I have tried, it takes a few days to finish with music, much preferred to the usual weeks! Wish I had gotten this years ago. But like the caps, it is all too new to evaluate more than with 1st impressions. I have only completed burnin on a power cable and some new Duelund resistors (amazing resistors).

Too many things happening to comment on ultimate quality, but I like what I hear so far in my crossovers expecting great things...detailed but smooth, rich and natural. A little thick and lacking some finesse now, but I think that will pass.

By all reports, seems either cap would be great in your speakers.

http://www.soniccraft.com

Look in the specials area for a better deal on Jupiter coppers.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 07/21/16 at 12:55:02

Thanks for the input Pal and Will. Yes, the Humble Homemade HiFi is so comprehensive....thanks for posting that and the Link to sonic craft. They have the best price on the Jupiter Copper Foils (2,2 600v). I want them in my Speaker's.....this Fall hopefully I will......... . Will, you are hardcore....getting to the bottom of the best Caps. Wish I could solder, envy you guys!

However, I'm so pleased with how my ARC Caps are burning in/running into ZMA and my Mundorf Mcap Supremes in my Speakers.....I should just leave things well enough alone for another year. But, I won't.

I'm thinking about having Joe at Midwest Speaker (they/he/did my Mundorf's)....set up my Cap connection "outboard" + Duelund resistor, so I can switch Caps of 2 or 3 choices....every couple of months...and then after a couple years...stick with the winner. Thoughts?

My Adagio's are run the same way will: " (speaker wire hot>3.0 duelund standard graphite/silver resistor>mundorf caps>tweeter). The HT runs from the hot speaker wire direct to the tweeter wire".

Negative side of my MTM config. is wired together.
Positive side/hot wire from woofer (M) to woofer (M) & Mundorf Cap runs from positive hot woofer (M) direct to the tweeter (T). x-over point at 4500Hz.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/21/16 at 14:18:38

You guys are next level.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 07/21/16 at 20:17:08

I would not go that far Match. I'm just fascinated by how I turned my Adagio's into a better Listening experience, with the Mundorf Mcap Supremes. The ZMA has the HT Round and Flat stack Jupiter Bee's wax Caps and my ARC LS17 SE....has proprietary Caps that are finally breaking-in.

I have great sound and I'm going to take a break from tweaking. Matter of personal fact....I have my ZMA RUNNING Direct again from ZDSD and it is more Organic with Transparency....I might still sell the ARC Pre.....I will rotate it in for another 2 to 3 weeks. Cheers and enjoy the journey.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #8 - 07/21/16 at 21:19:07

Matchstikman- you nailed it, this bunch are on the next level. Did you all win the Lotto and no one ever heard about it? I am so impressed with the level of detail and the depths you go to extract the last little drop of Zen magic. Love it, happy listening and keep playing around. Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/21/16 at 22:52:37

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/29/16 at 20:39:36

BTW, sonicraft is where I bought my copper jupes.  Paid a little more for matching, but hey when you are a lottery winner...  Great prices.

I think I have always noticed a lift when upgrading to a better capacitor.  Zyggi turned me on to some mundorfs for my speakers and it was a nice lift.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 08/11/16 at 22:32:14

I gotta do it Pal! My ARC and ZMA are talking to me: "Do the Copper Foils.....do the copper foils........., Jupiter is calling ~ Jupiter is calling."  :) Grin Grin.

Swinging by Joe's tomorrow in Roseville....and setting it up (Adagio's).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 08/11/16 at 22:48:28

If I'm wrong....the wonderful Mundorf Mcap Supremes go back in.

But, I think from the success of my ARC LS17 SE (in and out of the chain-its proprietary caps/still continuing to impress with break-in), the Jupiter's in the ZMA (with Steve's genius topology/power supply/ caps/tube regulation) FLOWING to Jupiter Copper Foils in my Adagio's.....and the pain in the ass burn in......it's happening (now).

Mystery Amp.....because even better than the other three Decware Amps I have owned....I can dial In the Gain of the ZMA THE BEST.... CSP3 was great...with ZMA....dialing in even better with my LS17 SE. Some of my favorite recordings are already becoming second nature.... Where the ZMA needs to be set.... Then ride up the LS17.... To dynamic perfection pretty much! This is fun!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 08/15/16 at 16:55:21

Hold the Presses.

My LS17 SE continues to break-in and impress. My Mundorf's are staying put for now....if it ain't broke, right?! .....no touch!

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Audio Research LS17 SE Preamplifier ~ w/stock 6H30's

.....will upgrade to: DR
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6H30-Tube-Types/Russian-6H30P-DR

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Ediswan CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 Input positions non-Cryo Pair~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 30% to 40-60% max ~ from 0 Gain

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to ARC LS17 SE an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an ARC LS17 SE, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

NOS Platinum Tube Rotations in my ZMA,

(matched pairs/from Upscale Audio/Kevin):

(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair
(Russian) Cryoset 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/16/16 at 00:15:25

I would stick with the standard Supreme's in your speakers. I would relegate the Silver/Oil or Jupiter's to amplifiers/buffers only.

Corey

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 08/16/16 at 01:29:55

Cool, thanks Corey.....good advice. I'm staying pat with the Mundorfs.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3