Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 20:12:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS: Omega A8 Speakers w/ lots of extras (read) (Read 3309 times)
tlarwa

FS: Omega A8 Speakers w/ lots of extras (read)
06/26/16 at 14:50:55

I bought these over the winter from a fellow audiophile in Chicago. And they have been nothing short of terrific! The original ad for the speakers and stands is here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138181.msg1471181#msg1471181

Since owning them, I have built a stereo pair of "Triska" subs (http://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery-home-subwoofer-projects-the-triska-...) and a pair of standalone tweeter modules which utilize Vifa ring radiators. Not sure they "needed" the tweeters, but they have adjustable output so you can blend them in to your liking. A review of the A8's and Skylan stands is here:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine3/system.html

The Triska subs do a great job of adding some low end when listening to rock. For jazz, vocals, etc. they really don't need it. The Skylan stands are sand filled, and are the recommended height (same stands as in the review).

These Omegas have pinpoint imaging and the unreal midrange you'd expect from a crossover-less single driver stand-mounted speaker. For jazz, vocals, folk and most rock they are hard to beat. I have even played Floyd and Zeppelin with great success, although that's admittedly not their strength. But man, you can't beat them for listening to Miles or Phil Woods playing live in a club!

All units are in great shape. Unfortunately, I scratched up the tops on both cabinets when I was building and testing the tweeter units. I'm such an IDIOT. I'm mad about it still. I tried to rub the scratches out with 0000 steel wool, but wasn't successful with the catalyzed finish they have. So the tops are flawed. I use a felt cover between the tweeter and the speaker so I don't see it. The rest of the surfaces on both speakers are flawless (as they were when I purchased them). Performance-wise, these are without issue. The tweeters can be easily disconnected without any problems and you'd never know they were ever there, as no cabinet modifications were made.

The Triska subs use an 8" driver and 2-8" passive radiators. Each has a 100W plate amp. They produce some really nice stereo bass that helps fill out the low end when you need it. I cross them over at 40-50Hz and they blend seamlessly. The tweeters will come with 2 sets of oil-filled caps so you can adjust the crossover frequency to your liking. I've been running these with a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 LFP-V amp with great success. I've also used a 1.5W SET and an tube Fisher 400 with good results. They are about 95dB efficient.

I am asking $1000 for the package (speakers, tweeters, subs and stands). This is firm. Or, I'd take for a really nice set of Klipsch Cornwalls or Cornscalas. No shipping at this time as these would need multiple boxes and would be pricy to pack and ship.

I've rated the Omegas as good due to the scratches on the tops. But they are perfect other than that ... No dents, corner damage, chips, etc. The grills are perfect. I have many more pictures that I can send, just ask. I am located in SE WI, convenient to the Chicago and Madison areas and will work with you on delivery.

image_008.jpeg
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Re: FS: Omega A8 Speakers w/ lots of extras (read)
Reply #1 - 07/12/16 at 21:37:55

I will sell the speakers and stands together for $700.  These can be shipped, but they are heavy.  So contact me for shipping charges.

IP Logged
tlarwa

Re: FS: Omega A8 Speakers w/ lots of extras (read)
Reply #2 - 07/29/16 at 19:00:16

Sold!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print