Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 10:36:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I want/need a new turntable... (Read 8692 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

I want/need a new turntable...
06/19/16 at 04:51:03

I have a Pro-ject turntable that is about 15 years old.  I actually bought it from someone on this site back in the day.  It works okay but I don't play that much vinyl and I recently came into a bunch of vinyl.  Along with this I have a Pro-ject phono tube preamp.  

Where does the line cross between entry level and whatever is next?  Over $1000?  What should a listener that listens only a couple of days a month to vinyl acquire?  

It might seem logical that the preamp and the turntable should equal in value, right?

Along with the new turntable I'll probably get the ZP3.  I actually have an original Decware phono pre-amp.  This thing is a mess but it had a good sound.  I have it in storage.

So, what to get?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: I want/need a new turntable...
Reply #1 - 06/19/16 at 12:03:31

What I would do first is resurrect the Decware phono preamp and see what that does for your sound. I love my ZP3. . . wouldn't trade it for another. So flexible, with tube rolling I can tailor it to the cartridge and get amazing sound.

And if the turntable is acting well perhaps you might consider a new cartridge, if the table is that old the cartridge may have lots of hours on it and a fresh one may make a difference.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/19/16 at 14:08:24

Hey Match, I agree with Lon,  unless you just want a fresh start and want to buy all new gear, just take your time and see what you've got.  I know little about the Decware Phono pre before the ZP3 but I'm sure it was good.  Is it tubed?

If you do decide to get a ZP3 make sure to spend a little extra for the Bees Wax Caps...or you could be patient and wait for one to come up for sale. I've seen a couple of the newer black tops with bees wax caps go for about a grand.

Both Lon and I have been happy with Rega Turntables.  As Lon has pointed out elsewhere, Rega is reworking their line and it may pay to wait and see what they have.  I have a Rega RP6 with Exact Cart with no upgrades and have been very satisfied. When it's replacement comes out you may see some bargains on the prior models.  Regas are good as is and there are many after market upgrades available if you are so inclined...as Lon was/is. Smiley

As I've said many times, this hobby is not a Sprint but rather a Marathon.  Take your time and enjoy the Music.  Mark.

PS....for perspective, Randy here recently sold a brand new RP6 for $1500 plus shipping.  At Music Direct they have a Demo Just like mine, for $1600.  I'm giving you the link so you can read the write up.  Read some reviews too.  My guess is when the new models come out, the retailers will be selling the old model RP6 for $1200 and some used ones may be even less...

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-97638-rega-rp6-turntable-black-with-exact-cartridge...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/19/16 at 18:31:40

For a direct drive TT check out what Kevin over at KAB does to the Technics 1200.  I did a complete 180 when I read his stuff ten years ago and I have no regrets.

http://www.kabusa.com/1200agon.htm

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/20/16 at 21:44:53

Lots of good suggestion.

I think I am going to concentrate on the digital side and get that going before I tackle the vinyl side.

Thanks, everybody.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/24/16 at 02:49:55

if you need a classic sota i have this one i'd let go for $900 plus shipping and pp.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649238000-sota-sapphire-series-iii/

i liked is so much i upgrated to a vacuum sota star.

i have mine paired with zp3 and zmc1 and love it!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 07/01/16 at 22:40:19

Trip - Great table and set up and a really great price. If I didn't already have a Sota Star Sapphire Vacuum table with a ZMC-1 > ZP3 I would be all over that. It is an amazing set up that I just keep getting more and more out of. I just rec'd Lorenna McKinnett's ''The Visit'' re-release and it's just magic. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print