03/28/24 at 12:38:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZP3 came in! (Read 14701 times)
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

ZP3 came in!
06/05/16 at 04:52:05

Finally the long wait is over. Fired up the new ZP3 which replaced an inexpensive solid state phono pre and right away much better. Noticed an increase in volume much more bass and weight and more of a fuller sound. A bit of occasional harshness on certain pitches of vocals but already after a few days of playing that seems to have smoothed out. It seems like maybe this will be breaking in quicker than the Torii Jr?  Will I see just a subtle difference after breakin or should it be pretty significant? Anyone have an idea on how many hours for the breakin period?  

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: ZP3 came in!
Reply #1 - 06/05/16 at 15:57:40

Great news Raymond ! Break-in time is over a year  :)
But really, 40hrs and it should be showing you what your front end sounds like, then the seasoning which is as good as the break-in wherin subleties make themselves known.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/16 at 20:22:14

Interestingly, my Pioneer Elite CD player still has significantly more volume than the ZP3. I'm wondering if my stylus is wearing out? Does it lose volume or just get dull when it is at the end of its life?  I bought the TT used from a Hifi store in town and was told it has about 200 hours on it(if that's accurate) and I've been playing it most every day 3-5 hours for a couple months. So maybe there's 5-600 hours on it now?  Should I get like 1000 hours on a stylus?
Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/05/16 at 20:51:12

Quote:
Interestingly, my Pioneer Elite CD player still has significantly more volume than the ZP3.

If you do the calculation I think you will find you are between .5 and 1 volt out of the ZP3 while the CD player is likely 2 volts.  If you put a CSP3 after the ZP3 you wont have any problems.  More equipment to buy.  It never ends!   Cheesy

I think 1000 to 2000 hours is a quality stylus' life.  I've looked at some under a microscope and I couldn't see diamond wear but that's what I've read.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/06/16 at 19:38:39

Raymond, my vinyl rig is quiter than my CD or cassette playback. I use the CSP2+ and can get the CD to go loud. I may have lucked in because the levels I like to listen relate to the CSP being at 60-70% max for vinyl. More efficient loudspeakers, such as full range folded horns which I`m interested in and the vinyl rig would be very loud.
I`ve thought about variable SUT`s but now think that SET friendly speakers are a better solution in the long run.

It`s all about volts going in to the pre-amp in my case.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 06/07/16 at 21:11:39

Congrats !! Enjoy and keep us posted on how things evolve. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/20/16 at 16:56:20

Dont know where to post this,but got my ZP3 Friday and I'm just a very happy customer at the moment. Was able to play the thing 30 hours this weekend and wow.

I came from an inexpensive simple riaa and couldn't even think a phone stage could make such a difference. Signal chain is a 2m black pickup mounted to a mission 774 tonearm and an upgraded Thorens TT. The zp3 is connected to minitori and then to omega speakers,all cabling is Zenwave Audio.
The difference in details, sound stage and well just everything is almost not describeable. Several times I actually uttered words to my self in awe of the music I heard. I know it will grow and grow for months, but this fantastic already.

I have to say I know the signature of this setup in detail after 2, 5 years of use, and I listen a lot. But this difference was something I couldn't have been prepared for.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/20/16 at 17:03:00

Well, we did tell you it would knock your socks off didn't we" Smiley

Great news! It just keeps getting better. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/20/16 at 18:37:53

I know you did, but still I can't believe what I'm hearing. Need to take second look at my dAc.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #9 - 06/20/16 at 21:11:27

Jorgen - Enjoy your new phonostage. I was playing records Saturday night after a BBQ with neighbors, and one of them was just dumbstruck over the records. He insisted on picking them out and me running the TT. He gets it now. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
SONDEKNZ
Verified Member

Would the Cetron 5R4WGB Tube Work Well in the ZP3?
Reply #10 - 01/10/17 at 01:44:39

Guys

What a great website!  Simply smashing stuff!

I've been lurking for a while and decided to register and consider getting involved.  This DECWARE stuff looks so well designed!

I want to start with a new tubed phono stage for my SHELTER 501 Mk. II LOMC cartridge (.4mw) and am considering the ZP3.

Frankly, I'm trying to decide between the ZP3 and the TRANSCENDENT SOUND Phono Stage, both of which need a SUT to provide for LOMC.

I love the fact that the ZP3 uses zero NFB and uses tubed rectification:  a real purist approach.

On the other hand, the TS PHONO has some very loyal advocates also, so its decision time.

FWIIW, my sonic preferences are truth of timber, excellent dynamics and very resolved and extended high frequencies.  For me, the high frequencies are what separates the excellent from the very best.  I prefer a well fleshed-out and creamy midrange - a bit of warmth is okay.  Bass is important to me, but I'm no bass fiend. That is to say, 45Hz and everything above is where the action is for me.

QUESTION:  Based upon the above sonic preferences, which capacitor options would deliver best results?  (I like Veecaps!  :) )

QUESTION:  I have a handful of brand-new CETRON 5R4WGB tubes hanging around and wondered if the ZP3 could use them successfully?  They are such robust tubes that I would like to utilise them, if there is no sonic downside.  Obviously, I don't want scrimp on a few tubes to deliver worse sound, so wondered if anyone had any experience with these 5R4WGB rectifier tubes in the ZP3.

Any thoughts from the panel?  Appreciated.
Smiley
-SONDEKNZ

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/10/17 at 02:10:51

Well, I am biased of course.  I've owned the ZP3 for several years and recommend it highly.  It is very flexible and with tube rolling can offer a wide range of sonic signatures.  But as you know, much of your final results are dependent on your system as a whole.  As to caps, all my Decware gear, three Amps, a Preamp and the ZP3 all have Jupiter Bees Wax Caps so I have no reference for comparison. But as you've probably found, there is an endless supply of impressions of all of Decware's products here.  So in short, don't waste your time and money trying other Phono Stages.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #12 - 01/10/17 at 03:17:35

I second Mark58 as all my Decware has the beeswax caps also. But, if you have a question I would get a call into the Zen Master himself and talk to him. It may take a couple days of phone tag, but it will be real info not some sales bs. Personally our ZMC1>ZP3>Rachael>Omega is a vinyl playback system that is here for the long haul. Keep us posted and happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print