04/20/24 at 12:48:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NFX as MTM ? (Read 6789 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

NFX as MTM ?
06/03/16 at 11:14:49

Does anyone care to speculate before money is spent on an expensive experiment as to whether making a pair of NFX as Mid Tweeter Mid would be an upgrade or a down grade from the original?

On one hand the purity of no crossover is lost.
On the other hand a ribbon or maybe a compression driver tweeter may give a better sound than a whiz cone. And by freeing the woofer from full range duties, a woofer that plays lower frequencies might be used; provided one is available that is fast enough.

Have you any preferences for the drivers? Ought the woofers to stay at 8" or change to a pair of 6 1/2 " or even 5" ?

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: NFX as MTM ?
Reply #1 - 06/04/16 at 01:48:08

It would be a downgrade in my opinion because you would loose your point source.  Using one for bass and one for mids would require two non-matching drivers each with different phase angles and different speeds and of course a crossover which will introduce it's own issues.  

Don't get me wrong, it will all work, in fact it could be a kick ass hi-fi speaker, but not the goose-bump generator it is now, which comes from it's simplicity.

Also, I have been listening to whizzer cones and ribbons side by side for about 15 years on an almost daily basis and the difference isn't obvious. What the whizzer may lack in speed compared to the ribbon, the ribbon lacks because it's not in the correct location, requires a crossover, and has a different phase angle... so it's almost a wash.

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: NFX as MTM ?
Reply #2 - 06/04/16 at 13:58:42

Thank you, Steve.
Goosebumps are the important thing.

It is always good to hear from you.

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1