04/19/24 at 04:49:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blu ray audio? (Read 626 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Blu ray audio?
05/24/16 at 17:09:43

Anyone know where that is headed or if it is dead?  Has anyone heard it?

IP Logged
Jeff1

Re: Blu ray audio?
Reply #1 - 05/25/16 at 02:54:15

I have been checking it out to see what is being offered in this format. It seems to be the same processing as SACD so the quality will be as good as that, of course the end quality of sound depends on the skills of those making the original recording. I think Sony is late to the table on this in trying to capture the home theater owner market with music in surround. My opinion is the future of music will be direct streaming/downloading in one form or another. If these are concerts on BD then there may be a limited market but I have seen sites in which you can download and stream concerts past and present as well. I have been watching the development of sub dermal implants on each side of your head near your ear to receive and allow you to listen without speakers or earbuds so all that is needed is a small device such as your cell phone to enjoy top quality sound.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 05/25/16 at 04:09:08

To be clear most Blu-ray Audio is not the same process as SACD (which is DSD) but lossless PCM in surround or 24/96 or 24/192 in 2 channel. I have a handful of the ones Universal has put out as "Pure Audio". . . a Herbie Hancock, two Miles Davis, a few Yes, a few KC, a Louis Armstrong, a few more. And I have some concerts on Blu-ray audio. Great sound. I don't do surround and these Blu-ray Audio discs aren't a high priority for me, but I do have a Denon universal player that has KILLER high res output from its analog outs and do enjoy the sound of what I have. I'll definitely buy more as time goes by.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/25/16 at 06:50:44

I agree with Lon, it's a great format and I have heard a few of these and felt they were impressive sounding.  I'm not sure of the long run potential of the format as one thing after another seems to pop up, but I hope it sticks around.

Like Lon also mentioned there are Blu-ray and Universal players that can play these back, but there are also a few DACs that are specifically geared towards this format as well, one being the Essence HDACC @ $599.  I've never heard this DAC in person, but it looks interesting and for a cost effective system you could pair a really cheap $100 Blu-Ray player and then get something like the Essence and have a really good playback setup.  Essence also make a 4K compatible DAC as well.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/25/16 at 14:33:14

Lon, which Davis' disks do you have?
Where did you get them?
I look around for blu ray audio disks and can't find a place that carries them unless we are talking about the usual blu ray disks where only the audio is heard.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 05/25/16 at 15:20:11

I have these:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Miles-Davis-Take-Off-The-Complete-Blue-Note-Albums-Bl...

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Ascenseur-Pour-LÉchafaud/release/6934607

I have gotten Blu-ray Audio discs from various sources. Here's a good listing of some available from Elusive Disc:

http://audiophile.elusivedisc.com/search?p=Q&srid=S12-USESD01&lbc=elusivedisc&ts...

And some from Music Direct:  

http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=Blu-ray%20Pure%20Audio

I think some titles have already gone out of print; I expect more titles to come out.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #6 - 05/27/16 at 02:25:57

not saying not to buy but sticking to my opinion that the future is no product just downloading/streaming. You can also go to SA-CD.net and go to the new version page. You can choose the format you are looking for. Open up the title and it will show you which vendors you can obtain the disc from. Usually Amazon but some others as well. As far as my use of the word processing in general is all are high res formats compared to CD or analog. All in all it still comes down to the quality of the original production. The higher the resolution of your playback system the more noticeable it is.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 05/27/16 at 02:54:18

I agree the future is downloading and streaming, seems hard to argue against that. That said I have no interest in downloading or streaming, I have been collecting discs for years and years, there are options in discs and I like having players that can handle all of them. Digital files, network players, streaming services. . . just not for me. Blu-ray Audio is an option out there. . . it seems to be slowly growing and may continue. I recommend checking one out if you're not exclusively into digital files and streams.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/27/16 at 14:30:48

I'm not a fan of streaming or downloading either.  I've never heard either of those exhibit the qualities I look for in sound reproduction.  Granted, it is the wave of the future.  Your entire life (pictures, books, music, etc.) all stored on your phone.  That being said I do use some of those options when that is all that is available.

Like Lon, I have several players to play a music collection that's been growing for decades.  Plus, should a given source online go out of business or cease to exists, I still have them ready to play in one form or another.

That's the way I look at it.

The way I look at it, all the glitters is not gold.  The experience of buying a new album, putting the needle down, reading the liner note and then the once in a while poster than came along was a kind of experience I miss.  It was a social experience that has disappeared.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print