Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 19:50:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rega RP6 turntable - new in box (Read 14828 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Rega RP6 turntable - new in box
05/20/16 at 06:05:00

A few months ago, I had a lightning strike at my home and it took out a lot of stuff .....
Telephones, TVs, cable boxes, garage door opener and ..... a few pieces of my audio gear .....

A couple of the pieces were expensive vintage stuff and the insurance company could not find replacements for them.

So, as part of the settlement they sent me a brand new Rega RP6 turntable with an Exact phono cartridge.
The fact is, I am just not into analog any more.  My digital front end does a fine job for me and I am happy going that route.

I have the Rega table sitting on my equipment stand and the motor has never been fired up and the needle has never dropped on a record .....
It seems like a shame to just let a nice piece of gear sit here and go to waste, so I have decided to sell it.
I'm offering it on a couple of forums before taking it to A-Gon.

The going retail price is 1990.00 via every vendor I checked.

If someone would like to make me a reasonable offer on this turntable, it is for sale.

If interested, please send a PM.

Happy listening,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Rega RP6 turntable - new in box
Reply #1 - 05/21/16 at 00:51:44

I have that exact TT and cartridge.  Love it.  Someone should jump on this.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 05/21/16 at 01:06:16

I have a Rega RP3 with the TTPSU that comes with the RP6, the Exact2, and Groovetracer sub-platter, platter and counterweight. Music! I agree with Mark, someone should grab this.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/24/16 at 16:38:42

Dang I wish you would've posted this 2 months ago. We just bought an RP3. I would've loved to get the RP6 instead.

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/25/16 at 16:49:44

Lon

I have the GT subplatter and platter on my P3-24. Im considering buying the counterweight, but not sure if it will noticeably improve sound quality. Did you notice an improvement with counterweight?

Tal

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 05/25/16 at 17:06:57

Tal, yes, it's not a HUUUUUGE (insert Trump voice, ha, I hate that asshole) difference, but a few difficult LPs track better and I think probably most LPs have a bit of improvement. Subtle. May or may not be worth the money, I love the looks.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/25/16 at 17:48:18

Lon, Thanks. I have to admit, the aesthetics of the counterweight is a big draw. Still considering.

Tal

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/27/16 at 00:39:12

Lon and Tal,
How much improvement did you hear with the groove tracer platter and sub platter?  Also would you do those first or the ttpsu from Rega. It seems kinda crazy that after spending over a grand on a TT, you need to spend almost another grand to make it better. Is it really worth the money?
Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 05/27/16 at 02:50:16

I have to say that for me, in my opinion, it is worth the money in sonic improvement.

The biggest improvement comes from the Reference Subplatter in my opinion. This is a very clear and immediate improvement for every LP played. The TTPSU does also make an improvement. . . that the subplatter builds upon. The platter is a more subtle improvement to my ears BUT it really does sort of put the icing on the cake for me, giving the final smoothing touches to tonal balance and dynamics.

Groovetracer gives you an upgrade path without having to move up the model ladder in the Rega lineup. I haven't had a lot of experience in comparing the models up the chain, but you can probably bring an RP3 up to near RP8 status via the upgrades and do it yourself (there's some joy in that) and keep a few dollars in your pocket.

From a stock RP3 with Elys2 I would follow this path in this order to see incremental improvement:

Exact2 cartridge
Reference Subplatter
TTPSU
Delrin platter
Counterweight

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/27/16 at 16:21:27

Thanks Lon. I'd love to upgrade to the exact 2 cartridge, the guy at the local Hifi store where I bought the RP3 from told me (and this is just his opinion) that the power supply is a great upgrade but the cartridge won't make any difference if the tonearm isn't also upgraded. Now, he was just talking about stuff he carries nothing to do with groove tracer stuff. I'm thinking if I have to replace the tone arm/cartridge and add a power supply it seems like maybe just upgrading to a whole new TT (RP6) may be a better option?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 05/27/16 at 16:30:33

I don't want to say your guy doesn't exactly know what he is talking about but. . . .

The RP3 and the RP6 have the same tonearm, and the Exact2 comes stock on the RP6. I have had an Elys2 and an Exact2 both on my RP3 and there is clearly an upgrade from one to the other, though both are good cartridges.

I still think you're better off upgrading what you have. I personally feel the sub-platter does more for the overall sound improvement than the TTPSU, which is a further refinement. The Reference sub-platter is better material and better machined than the one on the RP8, so that makes sense to me. Personally I think a TTPSU and Exact2 as your next steps puts you at an RP6 or higher in quality. Add a platter and counterweight and you have a turntable that has few compromises, one person has told me better than an RP8, I don't know, but I have stopped wanting another turntable or further changes, it's that good with the ZP3. And in many instances betters my digital front end.

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/27/16 at 16:41:00

Ok, looks like a few more things to add to my want list. My ZP3 shipped out yesterday and also some Morrow cables so by mid next week, I should have a new heightened sense of music going on here. Then, a bit down the road I will look at the TT upgrades.
Rick

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/27/16 at 20:33:18

Rick,  does your GT subplatter work on an RP6?  If so buying this new Rega RP6 and selling your RP3 would make sense to me.  I have the stock RP6 with factory installed exact II cart and no upgrades yet.  I'm very happy.  The first upgrade for me will be the white belt.  Not sure about other things.  Just my two cents.  Maybe PM Randy to see what he's looking for...for this brand new TT.  I paid $1500 plus shipping for mine that had been used about 10 hours.  Mark.

PS...Rick, I just read the above posts and realize you don't have a GT subplatter...just a stock RP3.  If you think you are going to get the exact II and external motor anyway...I would sell your RP3 and buy the RP6.  Check how much the external motor and cart would cost.  This would give you a good idea if just buying the RP6 and later upgrading it may be the way to go...

You could also check to see what lightly used RP3s are going for...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 05/27/16 at 21:26:22

We should probably move this discussion from Randy's thread?

The selling price of used RP3s is going to drop very soon as they just rolled out a new model to replace it, Planar 3. Apparently a new model to replace the RP6 is coming out soon, yes you guessed it the Planar 6. They are going back to the old name "Planar" for the new models.

Just a note: the sub-platter from Groovetracer fits the RP6 but then you cannot use the stock platter, you have to use one of the acrylic or delrin platters from Groovetracer. I'm sure it's an improvement, but on top of the RP6 cost. . . .The Groovetracer sub-platter is better than the plastic and metal RP6 one, and I will never put a glass platter back on my RP3 after the Delrin, but all that makes more sense adding to the cost of an RP3 than an RP6.  

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/27/16 at 22:31:31

Mark,
It all sounds good but I think by the time I pay a little more for the RP6 and lose some on selling my RP3, I don't think it would work out unless Randy is giving the RP6 away. So I think I'll just keep my RP3 and possibly upgrade it when I can.
Rick

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #15 - 05/28/16 at 00:09:01

Well ..... I'm not giving it away but will be asking 1500.00 plus shipping when I list it on aGon.

I think 25% off of an unused unit is more than fair.

Thanks,

Randy

Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/28/16 at 02:35:04

Randy, I think that's very fair.  As I recall, I didn't find very large discounts on new RP6 TTs.  If someone is looking for a good TT at a good price, they should consider this.  Mark.

Rick, sounds good.  Remember this is a Marathon not a Sprint, so enjoy the process....

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/29/16 at 21:24:38

Randy,
That's a very fair price for the RP6. I'm sure whoever is in the market will be very happy to pick that up. Thanks for posting it here.
Rick

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #18 - 05/30/16 at 16:38:55

I agree very fair price for some very fine sound.
GLWS

Scott

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #19 - 06/06/16 at 05:03:39

SOLD .....