Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice (Read 4671 times)
Finch
Verified Member

Advice
05/12/16 at 21:38:02

Hello fellow Decware friends,

If you had a Tori MK II and MG944 and we're going to change one, would you get the MK IV or the HR1's? Or even maybe the Tori Jr?

I don't have the best room situation any more, but that won't be improved any time soon. My speakers are too close to the wall but I still enjoy my sound. Anyone know how the HR1's sound in close to a wall?

So I initially was very interested in the HR1's. Any comparisons to the mg944?

Anyone remember their MKII's before everyone upgraded?

Rega RP6- ZP3- macmini- Benchmark Dac2 HGC- Torii mkii/ SE84 UFO2- MG944/DNA
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Advice
Reply #1 - 05/12/16 at 22:01:38

I still have a Torii Mk II. And two pairs of HR-1s, a just before production model and a production model. For a year or so I ran the Mk II with the pre-production HR-1s. I've never had or heard 944s.

The II is a really nice match with the HR-1s. The HR-1 sound warmer and bassier near the wall than out in the room but that's not a terrible thing. They sound better brought out into the room in all ways: tonal frequency, soundstage, imaging all are better. They sound more like a conventional stereo speaker against the wall.

I haven't  heard the Mk IV. I have two Mk IIIs. The Mk II is a bit more forgiving in sound than the Mk III to my ears, which can really be a good thing unless all you have are audiophile recordings! In your shoes I'd target getting the HR-1s.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #2 - 05/12/16 at 22:05:11

I never had a Torii MK.II, but I do have a Torii MK.III(Jupiter caps) and have heard it side-by-side with a MKIV several times.  I prefer my MKIII to the MKIV - with my speakers - YMMV.  I have crossoverless, full-rangers and the MKIII's flexibility is invaluable to dialing in the sound to perfection.

I've heard all the Decware speakers side-by-side at Zenfest several times.  
"IF" I had to make the choice you have presented here, I would get the HR-1's - but that's "me" and my preference.  The HR-1's are dramatically "different" sounding than MG944's.  With the upward firing ambient driver of the HR-1's, they are bigger and more spacious sounding - if that's what you like.  Some prefer a more direct sound like the 944.  Nobody can make this determination for you.  I would not recommend you laying down your coin $$ for HR-1's unless you've heard them.  Nor any other speaker, for that matter, that you haven't at least heard with your own ears, and preferably with your equipment, in your room.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Finch
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/13/16 at 00:16:30

Thanks Lon and Maddog07. I usually only find people comparing the MK III to the IV here. Good to know the II still holds up.

I'm way up here in Northern California now, not too much hifi gear around for demo.  But, I have made all my Decware purchases from the strength of the website and forums and have not been disappointed yet!  I like the logic behind the HR1's and everyone seems to love them.

I have had many great sessions with the 944 so I'm not in too big of a rush.

Rega RP6- ZP3- macmini- Benchmark Dac2 HGC- Torii mkii/ SE84 UFO2- MG944/DNA
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/13/16 at 01:18:24

Finch,

I upgraded to HR-1 from 944s with my Torii III. Now I have a MKIV with the HR-1s and am currently using a Blue Torii with my 944s. I modified both speakers to suit my sound and room. But interestingly, in both of my rooms, the 944s sound pretty close, the second room the speakers out from the walls more. Both speakers were too bassy and dense sounding in this room with the MKIII, but I know from experience of room work, and I suspect from other posts, the room makes loads of difference. I also likely prefer a little less "warm," and a "faster" sound.

Treated pretty similarly, the HR-1s are more refined and spacious here, with a bigger feel, and they excel in some ways (like drum and piano authenticity) but they are really very similar. The radial addition is very artfully integrated and adds a really good thing, but in my main system/room, both had about the same soundstage and roughly the same tonal values. The HR-1s are better in the big picture to me, but both are quite beautiful with some tuning. The refinement of the HR-1 is hard to describe, and really nice, but the speed of the 944s without crossovers here is really nice too!

If you want to calm down the 944s rather than buying new speakers, you could incrementally mitigate/tighten the bass and mid-bass thickness to taste by plugging the plinth spaces with rubber gasket material or caulk backer foam (as long as these are big enough to seal well when pressed into the space).

Also, if the speakers are feeling a bit in-your-face, you can smooth/soften them a bit...and reduce smearing a little from toning down resonance, especially that causing bass/mid bass muddle. This can be done with Marigo Green 3mm VTS Tuning Dots. http://marigoaudio.com/tuning-dots/ I got mine direct from the maker, or I think Music Direct had them for $35 for 12 also.

They are cool as you can add one and listen, add another, and so on...and they come off easily when you have added one too many (or if you don't like them). You can even restick them once or twice if you are careful. I think I ended up with 3 on the top mid-bass driver and 2 on the bottom one on my 944s. They musically tightened and speeded up my sound while mellowing edginess (smoother) with no down side. Nice little tools.

The best place for them here was carefully placed on the flat part of the rubber ring where it is glued to the paper driver....between the rolled out rubber part and the paper part of the driver. Carefully placed not to touch the extended/round rubber ring, and not to be on the paper, they fit like they were made for the driver. I used a black sharpie to color them before putting them on, making them look pretty normal.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/13/16 at 22:32:20

I know what I am about to suggest is sacrilegious in audio circles, but get an equalizer.  I have a Technics in my system that I've used for about a decade and it can cure almost anything.  Yeah, it can't make solid state sound like tubes but a decent equalizer can smooth out the rough edges fairly well.

Try it, you'll like it.
There are a bunch of them on Ebay for cheap.

This is coming from a guy that spent countless hours and money on just about every tweak and fix out there.  I've got boxes of cables and power cords and things that I don't even remember what they are anymore.

Trust me.  You'll never get the sound you want.  You'll always come close but never as close as you want.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/13/16 at 23:01:17

I use equalization too and think it does more good than anything for fine-tuning the whole. I started using it to tune the last bits of bass intensity out of my room after doing all the traditional room treatment I could in my space. Then I started adjusting the whole spectrum based on measurements as pointers, and then to tastes. It is a very transparent EQ though, a part of my player software in a nicely tuned Mac Mini. The EQ adjusts digital files directly, before they leave the computer. It basically functions as a room/tastes mastering for the whole collection.

But for what I need here, EQ far from rules out the importance of tubes, cable choices, modifications, vibration mitigation etc. Rather they all help each other. I don't have any "tweaks" in my system. Everything I use makes an audible effect that is advantageous and cost effective to me. Maybe I just don't like the term tweak.

Adjusting the 944s or HR-1s as I wrote about above, just made them better speakers as far as I am concerned, and being able to tune them to room and tastes makes these adjustments methods that much better. The EQ takes it all further, helping to tune the lot together just right, but I modified the 944s before using EQ and it was very real improvement for my tastes. And then, after using EQ for quite a while, I adjusted the HR-1s, giving another notable improvement for my tastes.

I am always trying for improved sound and so far, always get it. And modifying/fine-tuning parts to suit what I am after for the whole, this gives the whole more potential, and makes the whole that much more powerfully beautiful. But I am enamored by a high level of micro detail and musical definition, and this apparently does not happen without effort. At least for me. But I agree, good EQ is really a great tool.
Wink

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print