Send Topic Print
Taboo hum (Read 3039 times)
144cubits
Verified Member

Jeremiah 29:11

Taboo hum
05/12/16 at 20:52:17

Hi,

I've had an original Taboo and it has always hummed but never interfered with the music. Lately it has become louder and seems to be coming from the transformer. I tried all of Steves "hum troubleshooting" techniques based on his paper to no avail.

Is there anyone else who has experienced this and found a remedy? If at all possible I would prefer not to send it back for repair.
Thanx!

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Taboo hum
Reply #1 - 05/12/16 at 21:34:52

Have you tried replacing tubes?  When the tubes on my Taboo were getting pretty worn, it developed a hum and I replaced both the input and output tubes and that pretty much cleared it up and it is silent again.  

In my case, the output tubes were causing distortion when they were wear, but it was the input tube that was causing the hum .. the hum did sound as if I was coming from the transformer BTW.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #2 - 05/12/16 at 21:49:59

I don't know where this paper you refer to about "hum troubleshooting" lives... thus I don't know what's in it.  
Are you talking about "hum" you hear from the speakers (ground loop problem most likely) or emanating from a physical transformer on the Taboo?  Is the hum constant in volume or go up and down with the volume control?

I've had a couple of components over the years that had "mechanical" humming/buzzing transformer issues.  Sometimes this is related to some small amount of DC on the circuit you have the component plugged into.

Have you tried:
  • unplug everything that is plugged into the same circuit/breaker as your taboo. If the hum goes away - one of the devices you unplugged is dumping DC back on to the circuit.
  • if the above doesn't stop the hum, still leave all the stuff you unplugged in step #1 unplugged, and then disconnect your preamp/sources, etc. - whatever you have upstream of your Taboo.  if the hum goes away, one of your upstream components may be passing DC.
  • if none of the above has any impact on reducing the hum, there is likely a problem with your Taboo - call Decware.

also... Emotiva makes a device, the CMX-2, that is specifically designed to eliminate DC offset on your powerline.
http://emotiva.com/products/accessories/cmx-2
I have one of these, that I plug some of my sources into, but my entire system is not drawing power thru it.

Every since I started plugging my source, preamp and amp all into the same circuit, my systems superfluous background noise has been nearly nonexistent.  Then I subsequently started using a PS Audio power re-generator, and noise I didn't know I had disappeared, and detail I'd never heard before appeared - and the system is quiet as a tomb.  No humming, no buzzing, nothing via 100db sensitivity speakers, nor any mechanical buzz at all either from any of the transformers of my Torii, nor from my tube preamp.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
144cubits
Verified Member

Jeremiah 29:11

Reply #3 - 05/12/16 at 21:51:43

Yep. I followed all of Steve's instructions for troubleshooting hum. Disconnected the interconnects, swapped out each tube...still humming. Sad Sad

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print