03/29/24 at 16:59:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power cords (Read 12943 times)
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Power cords
05/03/16 at 21:38:05

Ok so I know most everyone has upgraded power cords going to their amps and hopefully it is securely connected to the house wiring via a good wall outlet and therefore the incoming power is good(at least as good as what is coming into your house).  But what about the possibility of having an isolation transformer between your upgraded power cord and the wall outlet?  If the power cord in the isolation transformer isn't as good as your "upgraded" power cord wouldn't this be a weak link as far as the power feed goes?  Or is the fact that the power is isolated coming out the transformer and at that point it is considered to be your new source of power?  

Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Power cords
Reply #1 - 05/03/16 at 21:51:45

Rick - really good question and I think you'll get a lot of different opinions. In my situation I bought a TrippLight Hospital grade 500 watt iso tranny per Steve's suggestion in one of his articles. I will change out the attached AC cord on the tranny (when it is out of warranty). My house is the only house in my area off of the incoming PGE transformer, which was replaced at the same time we re-modeled and I had the two dedicated circuits for the audio added. I would love to have a PS Audio regenerator, but that's a lot of $$$ and I would rather spend the money elsewhere. The company I bought my power cords from also sells them with an open end for replacing existing AC cables. Can't wait to see the other replys. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/03/16 at 21:58:29

Chris,
Yeah I also bought a 250 watt TrippLite transformer per Steves recommendations. And even though the power cord on it seems fairly heavy, I'm certain it won't compete with most upgraded power cords out there. It's good to know you can buy better cords that are unterminated on the one end so we can replace what's on the TrippLite.

Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/03/16 at 22:24:04

Personally I'm one of the few people who had issues with the Tripplite isolation transformers and no longer have any in operation, they sit unplugged in a storage unit. The unterminated cord option seems a good one if you want to open the unit and desolder and solder. I also have used very successfully adaptors that creat an IEC inlet (snip off the old plug and connect the bare wires to the one end, the other end is an IEC inlet). Got these from both Mouse Electronics and ebay.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #4 - 05/04/16 at 01:34:19

Many may disagree with me or have a more in depth explanation for or against but if your system has no discernible noise when on and not playing music I would think your home is grounded or bonded properly and the transformer would not be needed. If you are thinking about surge protection then unplug your system if electrical storms are forecast. Put the money into a better power cord or other item.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 05/04/16 at 03:51:45

This subject isn't so much the can of worms that it seems. I break it down into things like quality of incoming power, system needs, and how much you can actually do about it on your budget. I have been lucky in the past having one or two houses where the power was excellent. And I have experienced the rest as well. My present home was built in the 30's, and there was considerable effort, all the way from getting the city to replace the old transformer AND power lines to my home and surrounding homes on that circuit, to rewiring most of the house. That included taking the existing power ground to the water well casing, and replacing the old circuit box. Even after all of that, the PS Audio regenerator measured 3.4% THD incoming. sheesh. The PS Audio unit died a slow death, and I replaced it years ago with an isolation transformer from BPT power. The trick with this transformer is that it produces a balanced output, and that killls common mode noise.Then it sports a separate secondary winding for each of it's six output windings, a good way to isolate  one component group from another. I wouldn't have it any other way. Your situation could well be different than mine, and the extent that you go through to get things right (if they aren't already) will vary by need itself.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 05/05/16 at 17:57:18

Wow, 3.4%?? I typically get 8%, all the time, and my PS Audio Regen drops it's down to .8% I think.

I've played a lot with transformers and regens and replacing power in the house and some with power cords. I like 4Krow's setup - that totally makes sense.

Every house and power situation is different, but I've noticed a decent lift when I upgraded to a dedicated 8AWG power line going to a dedicated outlet, with a dedicated 10AWG ground, home run to the circuit panel. I doubled that improvement by making sure my grounding on my house was well bonded, copper, and in deep in a moist area of the yard. In fact, I'm thinking about adding a second ground rod to further lower the resistance to ground (give that noise a place to go).

I did spring for an "open box" PS Audio P10 Power Regen, and the lift was there, but it didn't feel like a $4000 (or whatever I paid for it) lift. I went with that because I knew it would take care of any issues that weren't dealt with in my circuit improvements.

All that said, the two biggest improvements (beyond starting with good gear like my DirectStream and ZMA) was sound diffusers and the Uptone USB Regen. Those are two areas where the improvements were so good that I got goosebumps from the change. And they are easy as well.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 05/05/16 at 21:14:11

Interesting you like the Uptone USB Regen that much. I've been researching feedback from people using it with the same DAC I have (Yggdrasil) and the conclusion is not clear whether it is a worthy addition. I guess it is inexpensive enough to try it anyway ... Do you use a LPS or the stock PSU?

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/05/16 at 22:58:01

I was a power cord guy at one time.  I would spend hours changing out interconnects, too.  My listening room was a room treatment museum.  Every receptacle in my house was replaced with a PS Audio.  It was maddening.   Then, I moved.  The effort to pack up everything and set it up in another house was more than I could handle.  So, it all stopped.

Now, I just connect everything with whatever power cord I have and with whatever interconnect is close and that's it.  The sound is as the the sound is and I am fine with it.  I do go out of my way to do basic room treatment but that is as far as I go.  I have boxes of stuff gathering dust.  Lots of Decware gadgets are in those boxes.  

Now, the new obsession is the Strat and the Marshall but that's another story.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 05/06/16 at 03:45:13

You should patch in a power cord on that Marshall! Smiley

What kind of Strat MM?  I have been concentrating on two of mine: a Custom Shop Classic Stratocaster, and a Warmoth parts caster that has a black limba body, a Wenge neck and fingerboard, two Cool Rails and a Hot Rail that are coil tapped, and no tone controls, just three volume controls. Tone!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/06/16 at 14:57:44

Lon, I have a Highway 1 Strat with Fender Texas Special pickups and a blocked tremolo.  I also have a hardtail Warmoth Strat I built with Fender 69 pickups for neck and middle, and a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates for the Bridge.  I have 1 volume, 1 tone for each.  I need that tone knob because the tone sometimes gets out of control but I suspect it is because of the Marshall.  Strats are amazing guitars but they keep you honest.  

Oops, didn't mean to hijack this thread.  Sorry.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 05/06/16 at 15:06:51

That's cool, I think we can talk about what we want to now and then.

Those are some nice guitars you are sporting. Bet they do well with blues.

I've only ever had a small solid state Marshall which was a nice all around amp but I gave it away to a friend who uses it to perform and record his delay and looped trumpet in a duo called WD-41. I've been using a Fender Bassman TV Fifteen which is a fantastic amp which really surprised me as I love tubed amps and this has a tubed preamp and a digital output. It's one heavy Mofo though. . . I also use an old Fender MusicMaster bass amp that has been rebuilt and is light . . . nice amp for most of my purposes, and another digital amp that surprises me, the Jazzmaster Ultralight SE (mine is a prototype that only has one channel, a clean one, not a second distortion channel.) I don't have problems with tone at the amps. I usually roll treble way down every place I can, that's just me, I like the old dark tones that early guitars had. I like a basic thick jazz tone.

Strats are awesome. . . I have two more I need to dig out: a mahogany Deluxe with Cobalt pickups, and a Billy Corgan with his stacked hum buckers. All my Strats have the same neck specs as far as flatness and curve, which helps.

Happy playin'!

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/06/16 at 15:34:03

Strats are very awesome.
The Warmoth is 24.5 scale with a 12" radius on the neck.  It has the feel of a Gibson but has the sound of a Strat.  I'm able to use 11s without a problem on it.  I've had my eye on a Tele; possibly a Warmoth tele.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 05/06/16 at 16:28:02

Nice. One of my Troy Post (luthier) "Wolf" copy guitars has a Gibson neck profile, and I have a Les Paul Studio. . . I can play these and enjoy them (the "Wolf" has some really great pickups for Jazz and this my most "jazz" guitar) but I prefer the Fender neck, just most used to it. I have a Telecaster ('72 Thinline reissue) but I just don't play it often--too many guitars--but it plays like butter, the easiest playing guitar I have, closely followed by the Warmoth Strat. I also have a '59 Thinskin Reissue Jazzmaster that is a fantastic guitar--same modern neck specs as my Strats. Harder to play than the Strats, but a great sound . . . and versatile (love the two circuits).

You should try a Tele, they can be addicting.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 05/06/16 at 16:47:53

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 05/06/16 at 19:34:25

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 05/06/16 at 20:56:39

First time I've bought a fancy (this time transparent) LP in a long time but I did it for the unreleased music. And turns out I think I have it all elsewhere. But it sounds nice on LP.

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/10/16 at 15:55:25

Ok now that you guys hacked or should I say "shredded" my thread all into pieces.....lol. Have you heard of Suhr Guitars?  John Suhr was head of Fenders custom shop for many years until he decided to start making his own guitars. Based in California, he makes amazing guitars with beautiful wood species and the best part is the tone. He has known for years that a scatter wound pickup was much better sounding than machine wound but were always inconsistent. That's why some old fenders sound great and others not so. So he has taken this theory into practice but some how has figured out how to keep it consistent so every pickup he makes is amazing. Anyway I currently have 2 of his guitars, one is a Strat version and the other is a Tele version. I know everyone loves the old vintage guitars but I'm very happy with newer custom Suhr stuff!
Rick

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 05/10/16 at 16:01:47

Awesome Rick! I know these guitars well by reputation and studying on line, they seem great, you've got two winners.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #19 - 05/10/16 at 21:49:47

Just looked those up on the web.
Beautiful work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1