04/24/24 at 04:52:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FRX2 Mock Up (Read 8070 times)
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

FRX2 Mock Up
04/08/16 at 08:36:04

Well, it's been a long time since I did any woodwork to close tolerances, but it's pretty cool getting back into it again. Helps to have good tools. Oh, and good weather, too, since I don't have an inside space to work in. So here are pics of the first step. (Note that I still have the silver screws that stick out like sore thumbs. Black ones on order). Sides are temporary, but good enough for the breakin.

OB2.JPG
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Re: FRX2 Mock Up
Reply #1 - 04/08/16 at 08:37:39

Back.

OB3.JPG
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/08/16 at 08:40:16

Ready for hookup.

OB4.JPG
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 04/08/16 at 10:54:50

Nice, your work looks way better than mine!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/08/16 at 15:40:21

Very nice.  I am pretty sure I am going to do another pair of OBs for a second system and like the doubleup MDF idea for vibration control (even though I hate working with MDF).

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/08/16 at 21:06:30

Baltic Birch

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/09/16 at 01:14:32

That is my material of choice and current OB baffle wood.  I guess I could double it up.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 04/09/16 at 01:40:29

Doubled up MDF is HEAVY! And it drinks a lot of primer.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/09/16 at 08:46:55

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It will be interesting to me to see whether I feel the need for a separate sub to augment the low end. I'm not a big basshead, so we'll see. I guess I could always hook up just the Augie in one of the Hawthorne Audios, but a 15" woofer seems like overkill. We'll see after the breakin. I've never had any experience priming/painting MDF, so it sounds like I'm in for a treat if I decide to finish these. Any suggestions on filling voids/seams in MDF? Caulk? Epoxy? Something that sands well? I like the Baltic Birch idea, but I'm guessing that it's spendy.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 04/09/16 at 13:08:42

TubeNube,
I'm sealing up the end grain with drywall joint compound and then sanding it back. That is the trick way of doing it from what I read.
I'm thinking that something flexible would be the best way to fill voids and seams, maybe painters caulk?
But then again, I'm not a woodworker. Now if you wanted to make speakers out of metal, I'm your man!

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/10/16 at 07:27:03

Thanks, Donnie, I'll give that a shot. And making the baffles out of metal? I'd love to make them out of black aluminum, but I don't think that would be in my budget. I haven't looked up prices, but I'm guessing that 1" - 1.5" sheet aluminum, or even 3/4" would be crazy expensive. And I'd have to have it made for me, as I don't have the tools (other than drills) to work in metal. Would be REALLY cool, though.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/18/16 at 07:19:37

I've been meaning to write this update for a while, now, to give you my review of my new FRX2 drivers. I broke them in with my First Watt F3 JFET @ 15W into 8 Ohms. I listened at about 100 hours, and it sounded really good. Really pure vocals, great midrange. Then I switched to a 10W 300B amp that I bought from a local (Puget Sound) company, and the sound got better, but I still needed more on the low end. So I hooked up the 15" woofers in the Hawthorne Audio Rainiers that you see in the background of the picture. That filled out the low end, but I still couldn't get it to integrate top to bottom like I wanted. Then I remembered about the switch on the back of the drivers - and this is the carefully considered, highly professional part of this audio review - HOLY SHIT!! or as the guy in the movie "Cocoon" said, "If this is foreplay, I'm a dead man!". The vocals REALLY came through, especially the ones that were recorded well, like the early Elvis Sun Studios recordings, or Chris Issac's cds, or Pink Martini's "Hey Eugene" cd. And I'm finding that WAY more music sounds good with these drivers than I thought from Steve's description on the website. I do agree with his characterization that these are not "party speakers", and they may not be my first choice for some of the harder rock that I listen to, but I think that Steve might be underselling them. I don't know how many of these drivers that he is selling, but however many it is, it's not as many as it should be. I think that if more people heard how good these sound, and how many types of music they excel at, Steve wouldn't be able to make enough of them. They are dangerously close to what I call the Holy Grail of speakers - that is, I feel like I'm getting all the information that I need from the recordings at low to moderate levels, without the feeling that it would be so much better if only I turned it up just a little more. (It is true that this only applies to music that was well-recorded from the start, but I feel that if it's on the recording, these things will give it to me. In spades). What could make it better? Well, I think that the only limitation that I have now is in what I call command, what most people would call headroom. There's a fullness or weight to the sound that a few extra watts provide that low-watt amps just can't match. Which brings me to the upcoming monoblocks. I'll be following their development with interest. I think that these drivers with that amplification will be world beaters. And if I can't swing those, I'll be talking to Steve about a Junior with balanced inputs. In any case, I just want to say thanks again to Steve, for giving me another step up the ladder to audio nirvana.

Randy

FRX2.JPG
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #12 - 05/18/16 at 20:46:12

+1 on Baltic Birch... I've had nothing but good sonic results with it, for boxes and OB's.

Oh... and on the MDF sponge topic - yep... try sanding sealer first and then primer

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print