Send Topic Print
Accidental Experiment (Read 4424 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Accidental Experiment
04/06/16 at 19:10:25

Running into an experiment by accident is kinda fun. Turns out, that we have decided to re-carpet/wood floor the listening room/living room. Haven't decided how much wood flooring to use, compared to the carpeted area. What turns out to be interesting is the removal of just some of the carpet. This is because I cannot physically remove all of it myself all at once. My back says no. So then, I removed about 1/3 and decided to listen to the results on the system. The carpet that I have removed is about 3 ft wide in an L shape along two walls. So now the sound is more midrange in presentation, but in a way that is promising.As I remove more carpet each day, I will ln to the effect and report back here. I am actually surprised that I like it more now than before.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Accidental Experiment
Reply #1 - 04/08/16 at 00:38:05

Just to give a bit of an idea, the original wood floor was painted white for some unknown reason, and there is a little bit of the carpet left under the stereo. It is grey. I removed most all of it today, except for this little section. Will listen in the morning to see what the difference sounds like.

P4080001.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 04/08/16 at 17:21:05

This will be the last installment for awhile. Safe to say though that I prefer this arrangement to the carpeted version. That may mean that I will have solid wood flooring installed for the entire room.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/08/16 at 18:00:55

That looks like a nice floor in the picture.  I would think that it could be sanded and refinished, rather than replaced, for a few dollars a square foot.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 04/08/16 at 21:33:05

Archie,

You don't how it pains me to know that I can't do just that. The reason is that the floor needs repair underneath, and there is no access to the crawl space in that area. So, cutting a hole in it will be the only answer...or is it? I am anxious to see if my flooring guy has a better option. Saving an original floor usually is best.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/09/16 at 00:29:05

4krow,

That kind of stuff is my day job.  Since I don't really know what you are dealing with I might be saying a lot of nonsense but any crawlspace needs access and ventilation.  If you have to create the access in that room it can be done without replacing the entire floor and relatively easily.  Best would be to link an existing crawlspace to that one.

I'm guessing that if your house is old enough that there is a beautiful floor under that paint!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print