04/20/24 at 17:08:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
B&W CDM 1 & Taboo (Read 2486 times)
battjim
Verified Member

B&W CDM 1 & Taboo
04/03/16 at 16:10:24

I am selling my Taboo II and one of the members here is asking if it would be a good match for his B&W CDM 1's.  Does anyone have experience with this amp and less efficient speakers?  I am hesitant to sell him the Taboo.  Any advice??

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: B&W CDM 1 & Taboo
Reply #1 - 04/08/16 at 23:44:48

I tried a Taboo III with my HR-1s (about 92 dB) and MG944s (94dB). My rooms are maybe biggish medium sized (this one about 13x27 with segues to other rooms) and I am used to Toriis. From this background, the Taboo was into distortion with too much material for me, and when not, often just too quiet. Even the Rachel was not enough here, though close with the 944s. Using the CSP3 or Zstage helped a little, but did not do it. For reference though, I went from a SE34 to a Torii years ago in this room with my 944s.

Now with a small room and/or very efficient speakers...that could be really good.

My speakers both sound better with more power even at lower volumes...the drivers sound like they work harder letting out more musical character.

Too many variables, including listening tastes, but this was my experience with my preferences.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
battjim
Verified Member

Re: B&W CDM 1 & Taboo
Reply #2 - 04/10/16 at 01:30:08

Will, thank you for your reply.  I appreciate your input!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print