Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 20:28:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just hooked up the DM946 speakers. (Read 8145 times)
LizardKing
Verified Member

Just hooked up the DM946 speakers.
04/03/16 at 08:59:25

I received these a few days ago. i had to wait till the weekend to hook them up. my integrated tube amp had 93 hours on it and i had burned in my new  speaker cables for 6 days on an Duo Tech cable enhancer. They have been playing for a few hours now and already the SQ is improving. i know not to judge them yet and i have to wait, i also know that the amp has all Chinese tubes and i have awesome American and British tubes made back in the day to roll soon.

i can hear the openness of the ribbon tweeters. there is a musical SQ that should get better in time. i am running my amp in triode mode and i get 8 watts per channel. that is plenty of power for these speakers in this small room. Soon i must hook up my turntable.

More to come.

IP Logged
LizardKing
Verified Member

Re: Just hooked up the DM946 speakers.
Reply #1 - 04/05/16 at 23:45:21

I now have 13 hours on these speakers and they were supposedly burned in by Decware. The SQ keeps improving, very musical. What I hear is maybe too loud maybe too much gain from the linestage of my integrated tube amp. This weekend when i have time, I may roll the tubes beginning with me replacing teh Chinese 12ax7 with a RCA 1950's Black plates 5751 tube. I have read that the 12ax7 has a gain factor of 100 where the 5751 has a gain factor of 70. I am hopeful that this will tame the output some, say 3-6 DB. I will also roll the 12AU7 Chinese tube to a Brimar 1960s Long Plate Top getter 12AU7. if I am really feeling zesty, i will swap out the El34B chines tubes with Mullard UK Xf2 El34 tubes. More to come.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 04/07/16 at 04:37:46

Welcome to the forum!  Glad the speakers arrived in good condition!  Sorry about the lack of burn in, you are right in the commotion of having another grandchild by our daughter Sarah, who many of you know from talking to her on the phone, the speakers got less than 24 hours burn in.  It's completely my own fault, as I figured it would be better to get them out on time than to make you wait another few days.  

The reason the first hour was horrifying is because the speaker changed locations, humidity, temperature, and was at rest for many days during transit.  Even broken in it would sound pretty iffy for the first hour.

Please keep us posted.  It's amazing how many of these speakers we sell, yet almost no one is a poster in this forum so it's super great when someone like yourself will  document your results as you have.  Please continue as they season.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
LizardKing
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/16 at 18:05:01

The speakers work very well my my amp. They are playing music in my living room. I listening a little last night and as time passes on, more hours, the SQ get better. As of now, I have 24 hours on burning in on my time.

I want to stay up listening and that is causing me problems not getting up in time.

IP Logged
LizardKing
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/15/16 at 04:44:55

These speakers are so musical!

IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/23/16 at 12:14:20

They are very musical.  I've had my DM 946's for nearly two years now and they sound really nice.  I did change the capacitor to a clarity cap MR about a year ago which opened the sound out slightly with a bit more space and separation around instruments.  Other than that I found messing around with speaker placement helped a bit too.  All in all a great little speaker, even more so taking the price into consideration.

IP Logged
LizardKing
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/23/16 at 12:24:42

Thanks. Please tell me more about how you did change the caps? Same values, easy to install? Please send instructions.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print