Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:09:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo 3-Where is the Gain Option? (Read 2485 times)
rocky
Verified Member

Taboo 3-Where is the Gain Option?
03/27/16 at 00:29:04

I just received my new Taboo III.  I ordered it with both the UFO Transformer option and the Gain option.  I want to run Planars and Dynamics, running from low to high Ohms.  
   How do I utilize the Gain option.  There is no switch.  Are the outputs set up for separate gain?  For example, are the left side XLR/SE outputs different from the right side.
   A last question:  What is the maximum number of HP's that can be plugged in at one time?  All 4 (2 SE & 2 XLR) or some combo like both XLRs, both SEs, or one of each?   Thank you.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Taboo 3-Where is the Gain Option?
Reply #1 - 03/29/16 at 06:14:20

Hi Rocky,

The HI LO gain option sets up the jacks on the left side of the machine as low output and the right side for high output. The reasoning behind it is to keep the noise floor of the amp just below the threshold of the headphone's sensitivity so you don't hear any hum. It's not a planer / dynamic thing, as either could work well in both jacks. It's more of a sensitivity vs. impedance equation. Many headphones will work rather well in both jacks, so it becomes a subjective preference at that point. Basically if you hear hum in the background with the headphones in the right side jacks, switch the left side jacks and it will typically go away.

The maximum number of phones is 4.  Be aware that the amp is very happy to drive a pair of 4 ohm loudspeakers, so it is very possible to drive 4 pair of 30 ~ 70 ohm planar headphones at the same time. Same goes for higher impedance dynamics. In situations where using multiple headphones that do not match, some combination will dictate how each headphone sounds and how loud it is relative to the others. But yes, the Taboo can easily negotiate up to 4 pairs of headphones at the same time.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
rocky
Verified Member

Re: Taboo 3-Where is the Gain Option?
Reply #2 - 03/29/16 at 12:54:50

Thanks for the info Steve.  I was hoping that the gain was a left-right side thing.  Of course, i plugged into the right side with a fairly efficient Ether C and the hum was quite noticeable.  I will have a go at the left side jacks before trying different power connections/placement to ameliorate the hum.  
   The build quality is rather impressive.  Although the left/right input switch is backwards from the manual.  I could not get any output until I stumbled on that anomaly!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print