Send Topic Print
It makes me SICK (Read 3315 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

It makes me SICK
03/24/16 at 19:55:26

As a few of you know, I open up the case of almost any product that I buy, looking to see what makes it tick. The range is wide and more unpredictable than I would have thought. For example, I purchased an Emotiva CD player about a year ago for $500, and didn't expect much in the way of quality. I was wrong. Not to say that it is the best that I have seen, but way above it's price point. Opening up a BPT power conditioner was untouchable in quality construction. So much so, that I just stared in awe, and respectfully buttoned 'er up. Not so with another brand from an aircraft manufacturer that decided to put out a product for audio. The knobs were plastic, and cheap at  that. The case was decent, but that is all downhill from there. When I was changing out electrolytic capacitors, I had much trouble with the traces delaminating. I was carefully using flux, a good solder staion and Chemtronics wick. That is a combination that I rarely have trouble with. I am holding my breath, but well knowing that there will be a few band aid jumpers here and there. The few remaining products that I think less about worrying about damage or disappoint are in fact Decware, BPT, and only a handful of brands besides those. Just thought that I should share this with those folks who may be spending thousands, not realizing that it ain't always what you thought when the bill came due.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: It makes me SICK
Reply #1 - 03/30/16 at 19:35:30

I must add this note. It really was my fault. The product that I was referring to as being cheap, well, yes it was REALLY cheap. That does NOT however, provide enough forgiveness for my being lazy and not marking 3 AC secondary power wires. Believe me, when you get something this basic wrong, it can Quickly become a total loss. Regardless of my issues with the product to begin with, it was my negligence that brought things to a halt, and the product to the trash can...

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: It makes me SICK
Reply #2 - 03/31/16 at 18:19:37

I'm glad I'm not the only one that peeks into things and just gawks at the design, engineering, and layout. I suck at layout, so I marvel when I see it done well.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print