Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 15:46:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello Decware from sunny Canada! (Read 5083 times)
Adriankn
Verified Member

Hello Decware from sunny Canada!
02/29/16 at 04:24:48

Hello to Lon and all Decware regulars (and casuals). I'm on Canuck Audio Mart, same name. The recent purchase of a TORII Mk3 w/ Vcaps has compelled me to join the conversation here. This forum and Steve were a big help narrowing down an amp to compete with previous amps that have passed through my system and would mate well with my current Acoustic Zen Adagios. So, this is a retroactive thank you and hello.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Hello Decware from sunny Canada!
Reply #1 - 02/29/16 at 11:21:57

Welcome Adrian! Glad you're joining us. How much are you enjoying your Torii? A shipload or so? Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/03/16 at 01:26:05

Welcome to the forums, great to have you here!

IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/03/16 at 04:25:56

Thanks! And yes, I'm loving the Torii. It doesn't get along with my Plasma TV at all. Hums like a bugger when it's on and seems to be sensitive to RFI in general. Clicks and pops a slight bit when certain things the share a circuit are being switched on. A year or so ago that would have been a deal breaker for me. However, now if I had to choose between the TV and the Torii, the TV goes.

I have an Almarro A318B that I love as well. It has a great OTL density to it that makes electronic music fun to listen to and certain jazz and folk very intimate. I don't think I'll get rid of it. I guess I'm hoarding tube amps now. Other than the seductive bass of the Almarro, the Torii wins out in some much more important ways. It is far more adjustable. Careful pairing with future speakers will be less necessary as long as they are a relatively friendly load for a tube amp. It has plenty of power for my 89db speakers. Images like a champ (and that's what attracted me to Decware). And yes, I do hear microdetail I never have before. It's relentlessly transparent. About as much as I could ever hope from a medium sensitivity speaker pairing. Far more, really.

The subtle differences are less subtle the more I listen to it. It is a fantastic tool for evaluating recordings and is still so musical, I don't have to focus on flaws in a recording and just enjoy music.

Now I'm just going to have to find a nice sensitive speaker that can hit sub 30hz like the Adagios so I can leave the Almarro, Adagios in the living room with the TV and build a proper listening space. When funds permit, I'll be checking out some Reference 3A Taksim or Nefes.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/03/16 at 11:59:20

Adrian, regarding the TV: do you use cable? I had a hum I could not get rid of with the output from my DVR into the DAC and then to the Torii. . . . I finally discovered it was a hum from the cable itself and bought a filter and installed it. . . hum completely eradicated. Here's the filter I bought:

VIEWSONICS VSIS EU CABLE TV GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR

http://www.pcworld.com/product/pg/827580648/detail

Got mine from amazon. Great results.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/03/16 at 14:47:09

I have cable on my modem, not the TV at all. I've heard of ground issues with cable and tried unplugged my modem hoping for results. It seems to be related to the buzz that the plasma itself emits. I will explore a dedicated line once I move since I won't be renting for much longer. The move itself may clean things up on its own as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/03/16 at 14:49:34

That's true, the move might solve it. . . .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print