03/28/24 at 21:01:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZP3 Considerations (Read 10685 times)
Tal
Seasoned Member

ZP3 Considerations
02/10/16 at 21:22:23

I'm considering purchasing the ZP3 to replace my existing phono preamp and to complement my SE84UFO.
Question: Is the upgrade to the bees wax capacitors worth the extra $100?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Tal

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZP3 Considerations
Reply #1 - 02/10/16 at 21:24:47

Tal, I can say that it is not essential as my ZP3 does not have the beeswax caps and it's the best sounding phono preamp I've ever heard and amazes me every tine I play a record.

BUT. . . I have beeswax caps in the preamp and amp that I use in my main system and they WERE an improvement (sounded fantastic before hand, just a bit more fantastic afterwards). So in your shoes I'd order them. One day I want to have them added to my ZP3. But I don't want to be without it for a day let alone a month!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/12/16 at 02:23:01

2x on the beeswax.  i've had mine for almost a year and love it.

currently missing my zp3 because i am running a MC and waiting for my zmc.  i didn't realize how much i liked it till i've had to live without it for last month!

moral to the story, if you're even thinking MC just go ahead and order a ZMC with your ZP3... them you wont have to wait later.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/12/16 at 16:58:58

Your input really helps. Will definitely add the beeswax caps to cart.

Thanks

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 02/12/16 at 20:55:22

3X  on the beeswax caps. Just from what I had read on this forum I decided to add them on when I ordered my amp and ZP3 in Sept 2014. I purchased a ZMC1 from a forum member to use with my ARC SP-11 before I sold it and ordered my Decware gear. I decided that if Steve is offering an up-grade, he has spent enough time listening to say it's a worthwhile investment. I LOVE all my Decware gear and  cannot see parting with any of it. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/13/16 at 21:41:47

Pulled the trigger today with Beeswax caps. Thanks again for your input! Wink

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/25/16 at 16:17:06

About to take the plunge and one. I will have the Beeswax upgrade, will just irritate me if I don't. But I'm currently using a 2m black cart. A ZMC is a bit more money, and a proper MC pickup swell, do you think I will be happy with an MM for the next decade, or is MC sooo much better?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 02/25/16 at 16:21:21

Congrats!

To be honest, I am very happy with my turntable with Rega MM and the ZP3 makes it sound fantastic! Break in the ZP3, then roll some tubes, and I bet you will be too tired picking your jaw off the floor and wiping away all the drool to worry about whether an MC sounds better. . . at least for a long spell. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/25/16 at 16:33:11

While I agree with Lon that you should go with what you have for a while (maybe a long while!) I recently switched to MC with a ZMC1 and I wont go back.  I was using the Ortofon STY40 which is supposed to be on par with the 2M Black -- which I considered but I wanted a bigger change.  I can't give a detailed description of the differences that I  hear but there seems to be some kind of refinement with the MC that I wasn't getting with the MM.  MCs are impractical and expensive but there is a positive difference, in my opinion.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/25/16 at 21:05:52

......then theres the Music Man and London Decca Carts which wont need an SUT. I looked long and hard at them but continued with an MC. Such a range of MC`s. I tend to change about every 5 years when I can hear wear, and just switch manufacturers, increasing the price from the last one.Now I think I`m in the realms of re-tips and not replacements. Another milestone. Tough at the top   Smiley

....unlike the sweet treble.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/15/17 at 03:06:30

Archie, can I ask what MC cartridge you used with the ZP3 and which ZMC you had? What was your MC voltage? I am trying to get a 0.5mV cartridge to play nice with my ZP3. Bob's Devices has a 1:30 SUT...

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print