05/07/24 at 10:54:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii Mk. III Inquiry (Read 9677 times)
DG
Verified Member

Torii Mk. III Inquiry
01/06/16 at 20:09:25

I'm looking for some advice from some of this forums "old pros".  I have a 4 year old Torii 3.  I am the original owner and it is in fabulous shape (put in place and hasn't been moved.  It's pretty bare bones.  Standard black figure base, standard pot, standard caps, original tubes (estimate 1500 hours).  I am losing my two-channel listening room and deciding whether to sell this or seal it, box it, and store it for the future.  What is the fair and reasonable value of this ?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii Mk. III Inquiry
Reply #1 - 01/06/16 at 20:17:16

I'll toss in my .02.  I am biased because I own one and also because I seen to be unable to part with any Decware amp.

Keep it, its a great flexible amp that is hard to duplicate down the road without spending double the money although used ones do come up and you could always jump back in.

But if you do decide to sell, the market seems to be around $1700 to $2000 depending on extras.  If there are a lot of extras (tubes, updated caps, stepped attenuator, etc.) it could go for north of $2K.  Yours is probably in sub $2,000 range.  That said, mine is similar and I paid more than that a year ago except it came with a number of tubes, a shipping case, plus a matched quad of output tubes.

Others may have differing opinions, but that's what I see.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/06/16 at 20:29:23

I agree with Pal in both his advice to keep it if you can and the value if you decide to sell. I have two, one I can't see myself ever selling, as I use it every day, another (like yours but with beeswax caps added) now in storage that I may use for a headphone amp if I can negotiate the space with my gal. . . . Hard to part with, that's just the plain truth. Fantastic amps.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DG
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/07/16 at 03:16:26

Thanks for your input Lon and Pal.   Regarding storage - do you have concerns about caps drying out, tubes going bad or similar?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/07/16 at 03:23:13

That's a good point. Tubes won't go bad really, and caps would be good for a few years without use of the amp, good idea to get the amp out and run it for a while once a year or so, that should be preventative. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 01/14/16 at 15:12:29

Power supply caps are the only ones you need to be concerned with, and they could be good for decades. They are (relatively) inexpensive and easy to replace if you do need to do so.

Don't worry about the tubes, assuming they don't get knocked around or broken.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/31/16 at 19:45:27

Hi guys

Sorry for going off topic, but Lon, did I understand your post that you can  use Tori as a  headphone app? I have a MT with that option, but didn't realize that it's big brother could do this aswell. Can you run it with headphones and with no speakers connected?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/31/16 at 20:21:18

I have bought a component that I can run speaker wires to and that pads down with resistors the output of the Torii and has a locking Neutrik headphone connector to use with headphones.  I bought this when it seemed I was going to be able to set up a second headphone system, and felt I could then justify keeping my second Torii out of storage.

The Vinyl Flat "Can Opener"
http://vinylflat.com/canopener.html

But. . .my plan for a second system fell through (it was contingent on getting rid of a bed in a spare bedroom that we decided to keep and so the free area dried up) and I confess I haven't yet tried to use this to drive the headphones via the Torii. I just use the CSP2+ in my main system to drive my headphones now.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 01/31/16 at 21:05:09

Thanks Lon, That looks like something I could use.
I have been thinking about what could be used at my desk at work without going bat guano crazy. My little Wadia amp could run into that box to power a pair of headphones.
Now all I need is an idea of what headphones to buy.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
DG
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 01/31/16 at 23:14:13

Funny this topic came up. I posed this question to Steve a couple of years ago. He suggested adding some resistance (forget the value and wattage) in series with the headphone jack.   You will have to have some basic wiring and soldering skills to fabricate a cable that contains the resistors, wiring and jack.  Reach out to Steve for further guidance,

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 01/31/16 at 23:54:15

DG wrote on 01/31/16 at 23:14:13:
Funny this topic came up. I posed this question to Steve a couple of years ago. He suggested adding some resistance (forget the value and wattage) in series with the headphone jack.   You will have to have some basic wiring and soldering skills to fabricate a cable that contains the resistors, wiring and jack.  Reach out to Steve for further guidance,

I've corresponded with Steve about this as well. That's all that this box is, resistors . . . I'm pretty certain it will work fine, but haven't a use for it yet and/or a place to set up the other Torii. I fought really hard to have my system in the living room. . . and used up all my "political capital." Which is okay. I'll get around to this soon when other household projects are done.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/02/16 at 09:14:43

Thanks Lon

So a buildt in headphone isnt an option then, no worries though, My MT runs my LCDs in a most satisfying fashion.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 02/02/16 at 12:07:58

I don't believe built in headphone jacks are an option or Steve would have mentioned them. . . .

IP Logged
maximum kahuna
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 02/06/16 at 21:51:47

If you're looking for a headphone option, talk to Steve. He made a headphone plug with the proper resistors that just hooks up to the speaker posts of my SE85C+. I just unplug my speaker wires, plug in the cans and I'm good to go. 2 wpc works great for my Mad Dogs! Less expensive than buying the one on the HIFiman website

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print