Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 02:16:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Year Audio Resolutions (Read 1424 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

New Year Audio Resolutions
01/01/16 at 00:07:18

Thought it might be fun to read and write some audio resolutions for the new year.

2015 my biggest improvement was cabling, isolation and turntable upgrades.

I still have a few turntable upgrades I think I will resolve to perform next year: a Groovetracer counterweight, and a record clamp, probably the Groovetracer. I want to focus more on vinyl playback this year than I have in the last few years. Upgrading the interconnect from my ZP3 to CSP2+ to the VooDoo Cable Stradivarius really pushed my analog playback into a new level, and I'm enjoying records as never before.

I also need to make an effort this year to reduce my stereo component excess and get things out of storage and into new homes. There's no reason I should have a Torii Mk III, a Torii Mk II and a modded C amp, two CSP2+ and a CSP2, several SACD players, ERR and HR-1 and lots of cabling in a storage unit. I resolve to get a grip on this problem this year.

I'm so happy with my system right now! I resolve to enjoy it as much as I can in the new year.

Anyone else have resolutions to share? Happy new year!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: New Year Audio Resolutions
Reply #1 - 01/01/16 at 03:13:14

Uh...Nope, I got nothing!  No wait...I resolve not to have Audio Resolutions.  I'll have no set plans or goals...I'll just let things happen.  No pressure in this Audio Life.  :) Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/01/16 at 11:49:33

That's certainly one way to go! You've got two great systems, makes sense to just enjoy!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/01/16 at 16:07:04

Happy New Year,

1. Listen to all my music I have bought and not listened to yet before I buy any more.
2. Alphabetize my vinyl in a system like you'd find in a record store and stop storing it on a shelf, way too tedious to find.
3. Be happy for what I have and truly enjoy the time I get to immerse my self in music.

JD

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/01/16 at 16:32:22

1. Start ripping my vinyl collection (40 years of collecting) with the ZDSD

2. New balanced preamp

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/01/16 at 17:03:03

Lon, you have a great start on having enough gear to open a Decware museum!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 01/01/16 at 18:30:20

JD wrote on 01/01/16 at 16:07:04:
Happy New Year,

1. Listen to all my music I have bought and not listened to yet before I buy any more.
2. Alphabetize my vinyl in a system like you'd find in a record store and stop storing it on a shelf, way too tedious to find.
3. Be happy for what I have and truly enjoy the time I get to immerse my self in music.

JD

Those are some good resolutions.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/01/16 at 18:32:19

lLance wrote on 01/01/16 at 16:32:22:
1. Start ripping my vinyl collection (40 years of collecting) with the ZDSD

2. New balanced preamp

I don't envy all that ripping of vinyl. I hate doing that stuff, and needle drops don't sound enough like vinyl to me. . . I'd rather spin the records (but then I don't do "music on the go").

And yes, Steve's new preamp is going to be a big temptation.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 01/01/16 at 18:34:19

Tommy Freefall wrote on 01/01/16 at 17:03:03:
Lon, you have a great start on having enough gear to open a Decware museum!

Boy, isn't that the truth! But it's costing me money every month just to store them and there's little chance I'll be setting up any other system than the main one in the near (or not so near) future. So I should get on the job of disseminating it. Don't really want to ship speakers though, so I may have to seek local interest.

Hah, maybe I can drive it all down to Randy's store and put them on consignment. Wink

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/01/16 at 21:29:12

Lon, or you could - this coming October - set up all that gear in various listening rooms in your home. That way North American listeners would have two convenient midwest locations for Decfest! Just make sure you have plenty of ice cold Fresca on hand!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 01/01/16 at 21:33:39

Ha, that's not going to happen. Even if I personally were more open to that sort of an event. . . my fiancee is very "anti-audio" . . . even for a day or two. . . hence my problem.

IP Logged
rodge827
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 01/01/16 at 22:18:36

To stop analyzing my system and enjoy listening to the art of music!

Buy a ZDSD!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 01/01/16 at 23:43:49

Good goal, analysis has its place, but musical enjoyment is why we're here!

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/02/16 at 16:42:47

1.) Do more actual listening-without-distraction. Have a tendency to just play the music while doing other stuff.

2.) Replace my old (and much loved) Definitives with something open baffle. $$$ is not the hold back here but moving out these behemoths is!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 01/02/16 at 17:50:04

Cool! I have a feeling that the music will draw you in. And new speakers are a great jolt to the system!

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #15 - 01/02/16 at 17:53:57

Lon- Great New Year topic. We are enjoying our Decware electronic's so much and Omega speakers. 2016 will include finishing the cable upgrade, maybe a new phono cart but replacing my DAC really needs to happen in the next few months. I still prefer to buy and listen to records over CD or downloads but the digital end of the system does need a revamp. Happy New Year to all on the forum and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #16 - 01/02/16 at 18:10:46

I still need to continue to tweak room treatments. I am very happy with the soundstage I currently enjoy, but I know there can be some improvements made with cabling...saving for same!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 01/02/16 at 18:15:29

Sounds like great plans Chris. I've really done a 180 and unleashing my ZP3's full potential and upgrading my RP3 has me wanting to spin more records than CDs for the first time ever really. So upgrading your DAC will be a good thing, give those shiny discs a fighting chance! And cabling and cartridge upgrades will pay off in spades as well.

Ace, there are so many good cabling choices out there. . . keep saving. They DO make a difference.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #18 - 01/02/16 at 18:41:30

Shame on me!!! First off should always be new music. Doesn't matter if it's new, old, reissues, new formats whatever the music is first. Seven new albums in December…what will January bring? Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #19 - 01/02/16 at 19:32:53

My resolution is to listen to more music and maybe build some more speakers.
Open baffles are the next thing on my list and maybe something really stupidly large, 6 or 7 foot tall speakers.
Who knows what will tickle my fancy?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 01/02/16 at 19:44:04

Oh man, new music is a given. . . don't even have to do resolutions for that! We're keeping the industry afloat!

6 or 7 foot tall speakers! Tallest I've heard the last few years was a pair of Maggies. Nice. . . but the ERR and HR-1 put them to shame.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #21 - 01/02/16 at 20:24:19

Lon,
You are right, I should knuckle down and buy some HR-1's.
They are by far the finest sounding speakers I have ever listened to.
I need to man up and get off of my wallet.
A nice pair in koa wood with a shellac finish would look pretty nice.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 01/02/16 at 21:24:49

They definitely would look nice in that finish!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print