Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:27:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
STEPPED ATTENUATORS vs SMOOTH ACTION (Read 5603 times)
DBC
Seasoned Member

STEPPED ATTENUATORS vs SMOOTH ACTION
11/09/15 at 13:49:27

I'm sending my Super Zen in for the UFO upgrade. For those of you that have had both Stepped Attenuators and Smooth Action.

Is there an audible improvement with Stepped or is it simply a matter of personal preference? I'm using Omega Super Alnico Monitors which are very revealing (in the best possible way).

Trying to decide if I should have the stepped attenuator installed while getting the UFO upgrade.

Do the Stepped Attenuator graduations ever create a problem where you would like to adjust volume up or down just a tad but the graduations are bigger than you would like.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Re: STEPPED ATTENUATORS vs SMOOTH ACTION
Reply #1 - 11/09/15 at 16:40:43

DBC,

I have the stepped attenuator.  I cannot comment on its transparency vs. the smooth action, but I was told by Steve it was very marginal and apparent only during an A/B.

The number of steps have not been a problem for me.  I also run balanced, which means I can only use 11 of 20 steps before clipping occurs, and also means that each step is a relatively large difference in volume.  I can see how it would bother people, but in a dedicated listening room where "close enough" is good enough, it's not a deal breaker.  If you run a preamp, this distinction becomes meaningless.

Rob

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 11/09/15 at 16:53:00

I honestly believe there is a slight increase in clarity and "openness" with the stepped attenuators on my Toriis and CSP2+s but it's not a huge difference.

I have not had a problem where the ideal volume level might fall in between the cracks of one of the steps on the attenuators, either on the amps or the preamps, either running directly into the amp or using a preamp with the amp.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/13/15 at 15:34:31

Had my Super Zen upgraded with the UFO mod and Stepped Attenuator installed at the same time.

I really like the Stepped Attenuator in all aspects compared to the Smooth Action. The Stepped unit has a larger usable adjustment range compared to Smooth Action using a 2 Volt source and 93 db speakers:

Smooth Action moderate volume =   9 O'clock setting
Smooth Action loud volume         = 12 O'clock setting

Stepped unit moderate volume    = 12 O'clock setting
Stepped unit loud volume            =  3 O'clock setting

The larger usable adjustment range of the stepped unit actually makes fine volume adjustments easier in my system. Now when I want to change volume it's pretty easy to judge how many clicks up or down I need to get the volume where I want it.

I actually find it easier to set Low Volume listening levels. This was my biggest concern having no previous experience with the stepped attenuator. For me this was well worth the cost and I would recommend it to others.

And the UFO mod, WOW !!!

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #4 - 12/14/15 at 18:58:03

most folks find stepped attenuator's to have move "rez", clarity, however you categorize it.  Some would say brighter, more forward.  Depends on your system, room, tubes you're using, personal preferences, yada, yada, yada and the synergy you're after.  There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing".....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/20/15 at 08:14:48

DBC, your initial impressions on the stepped attenuator made me very happy that I have sent in my Zen Select to get the upgrade. Not only is it slightly more transparent and open compared to the stock volume pot, I mainly decided to go for it based on the superior channel to channel precision tracking, especially at low volumes where I tend to listen at night. I mean whats the point of trying to match your tubes if the tracking is off due to inferior passive volume control?

Regarding the UFO, I had this upgrade done about 4 months ago and I'm floored everytime I listen to my amp. Its the only major thing left that could have been improved on this amp and I agree with Steve that this mod makes the little Zen amp dollar for dollar simply "untouchable". Not only is it a much more refined and better sounding transformer but it adds so much functionality/versatility to the amp. We no longer have to worry whether our speakers will be a good match as long as its anywhere in the 2 - 16 ohm range.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print