Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 22:00:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware Torii Mk3 factory upgraded to Mk4 for sale (Read 21508 times)
Kevin

Decware Torii Mk3 factory upgraded to Mk4 for sale
10/11/15 at 16:38:02

For sale is a Decware Torii Mk3 factory upgraded to a Mk4. As you know, this amp can run your choice of EL34, 6CA7, KT77, KT66, 5881, 6L6, 7027, or 350B power tubes. I've used 807 and 6BG6 tubes on adapters as well. 6922 inputs and 5U4, 5Y3 or 5AR4 rectifiers.

This amplifier sounds superb and is in flawless condition. It comes with a quad of RFT EL34, Phillips PCC88 inputs and new in the box 1940s coke bottle Philco 5U4 rectifiers. This is a much upgraded tube set, and is far nicer than the tubes that ship with a new amp.

This amp has the stepped attenuator option and has had the second input defeated to make the purest signal path possible. This could easily be reversed if desired.

8/10 because I'm the second owner, but there is not a mark on this one and it operates perfectly.

$2400. Questions welcomed, thanks for looking.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware Torii Mk3 factory upgraded to Mk4 for sale
Reply #1 - 10/11/15 at 18:31:35

Hey Kevin, first let me say I love your website.  The photos of your 33 Amps and your many speakers are just awesome.

I remember when you bought this Amp in Feb. of this year. I had bought some Decware DSR cables from the same seller in Sept. 2013 when I was just getting back into High Fi.  We exchanged emails for a while and like many Decware members, he was very generous with his knowledge and took the time and effort to answer my tube newbie questions.

When I saw his original ad for this Amp, I tried to talk him off the cliff...let's just say he was in a bad place and I didn't want him to do something he'd regret.  Well he did it and yes he told me he regretted it.  I tried to help by buying a few tubes and herbies products that he didn't sell to you...at a fair price.  I haven't heard from him in a while but hope things are better now.  I'll send him an email soon.

Kevin, I would like to offer you the same deal the original seller gave you for exactly the items he sold. I know exactly what was sent and even have photos of all of it. If the original seller, whose name I will not disclose, wants to buy his Amp back, it would be with me waiting until he is ready and able to do so.  I personally need another Amp like another hole in the head and I already have multiple spares of all the tubes I need but I remember how badly I felt when this sale occurred and I would like to "pass it forward" so to speak.  It would be my pleasure to help one of the many who helped me.

I know that you have an abundance of audio toys so I know with you it's not about the money.  I would be willing to pay you $3300 including S&H and insurance, just as you did eight months ago. Let me know if you are interested.  Mark.

PS...was the modification to the inputs done by you?

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #2 - 10/11/15 at 23:14:44

Hi Mark,

First, thanks for the comments on the website. I don't currently own 33 amplifiers (thankfully!) but of all the amps I've owned, the Torii is definitely near the top!

Your offer is an incredibly generous overture, but I am not interested in selling back the other components that came with the lot I bought in February. They have become integral parts of my collection just as they were to the seller. I have also been in communication with this gentleman since my purchase and agree that like many here, he is a very open and honorable person. In the spirit of getting this back in his hands, I'll PM you soon and see if we can work out a better deal on the amp as listed.

Your offer and generosity are the kind of thing that makes the Decware community one I have enjoyed participating in for many years now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/11/15 at 23:19:30

Kevin wrote on 10/11/15 at 23:14:44:

Your offer and generosity are the kind of thing that makes the Decware community one I have enjoyed participating in for many years now.

Amen.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/12/15 at 11:43:11

Kevin,  I read your post here and your PM.  After a good nights sleep, I have come to the conclusion you are correct. In particular, it was this sentence from your PM that drove it home..."I paid what Steve asked in this deal...I didn't invent the sale, its included items, or its terms."  I now feel it was unfair to interject myself in your sale.  Regardless how I felt about what happened, Steve did receive exactly what he asked. I had tried to point out that he would do much better if he sold the Amp with one set of tubes and sold the other tubes, interconnects, power cable and tube tester separately. I haven't totaled up all the extras but at the time I thought they were probably worth the $3300 asking price without the Amp.

It was also presumptive of me to think that Steve would even want that Amp back.  When he has the funds, he may want something different.  After all there have been two new amps developed, not to mention the UFO transformers, since he originally bought it.  

You should not be asked to accept less than you can get on the open market for what is now your Amp.  I can help Steve by pointing out good deals on other used Decware Amps if he wants me to.  I have seen some outrageously low priced sales in the past.

So I am sorry for acting impulsively on my feelings without putting myself in your shoes first.  I see that the option to delete my posts is still available.  If you want, you and I can both delete our posts.  Just let me know soon, I'm not sure how long this option remains available.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #5 - 10/12/15 at 16:03:41

No reason to be sorry or to delete these posts. They show what an amazing place Decware's community is.

So, this beautiful Torii amplifier is still for sale as listed above. Questions welcomed and thanks for looking.

IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #6 - 10/16/15 at 22:24:00

Dropping the price for responses on this forum to $2200. That's about as low as I'll go without just keeping this superb amplifier.

Thanks,
Kevin

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/17/15 at 15:09:46

Kevin,  why don't you add some photos to your ad here like you did at the other site?  I think photos inspire me to buy more than an ad with one or none.  I would suggest having at least one showing the connections and controls on the back in addition to the usual front shot with all the beautiful tubes. Even stock photos would be better than none. Good Luck, Mark.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/20/15 at 10:05:03

Hi
Yes it would be good fun to be able to see photos of the amp, im on the lookout for a second amp at the moment. I know you guys really enjoy your Torii amps, but also there are a lot of pepole in here who would say that SET amps are so awesome.. the Zen select is on the top of my shortlist at the moment, but (even though answered earlier, many times I guess) what would be the pros and cons of going to a PP like the Torii? Either way the amp would be hooked up to Omega speakers, i have both floorstanders and monitors with Alnico drivers, one system for TT playing and one for streaming lossless Tidal. One smallish room, 16x16`and one room 16x35, but listening position is 10 feet or so from speakers, and im wondering if a more powerful amp some days (not nights...) would be a better setup than my miniTorii (love it!). If more is better the MT would rund the monitors in the small room, and a Tori would be running my livingroom system with Tidal.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 10/20/15 at 12:31:06

I've had the Zen amps including the first version of the Select, the 27th amp Steve built converted to "Revision A", and a modded C amp. I've also had a 6 watt Integrated and a pair of 6 watt Monoblocks no longer made by Decware. And I have a Torii Mk II and two Torii Mk IIIs.

Without a doubt I prefer the Toriis for their flexibility in both controls and tube rolling, their superior (imo) bass performance, their wonderful headroom and (again imo) the better soundstaging I get from them. (This last others will probably differ from, but with the speakers I use I get better soundstaging from the more powerful Toriis).

Yes, there is a quality to the SEP/SET smaller amps that the Toriis don't have, and there's a quality the Toriis have the smaller ones don't. But they share a strong family resemblance. and the family sound is stunning. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/20/15 at 15:07:06

Jorgen,  I would recommend a Torii...either MK III or MK IV.  I have a Torii MK IV but I also have a pair of circa 2008 Zen Signature Monoblocks (2.3 WPC) that I will never sell but if I had to  chose only one it'd be the Torii...Lon describes things better than I do...I agree with his assessment. The Torii gives a bigger, more impactful presentation that I love...especially with my vinyl rig. But the small Zen is wonderful too...it runs only CDs for now.  Mark.

PS...I have used Omega speakers with Alinco drivers with both Amps...they do well with the caveat that they have a forward top end that is emphasized with both Omega speaker pairs I own. I can roll input or output tubes to moderate this effect but not completely to my satisfaction.   I think most people prefer this kind of sound hence the popularity of Omega speakers with Decware owners.

IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #11 - 10/20/15 at 16:20:16

Here is a shot of the amp:

There are many more (and with quite a variety of tube combinations in place) on my hifi website here:

http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/decware-torii.html

IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #12 - 10/20/15 at 18:54:26

I also have owned a range of Decware's offering including the Mini Torii, the SV83 C+, SV83 based "signature" monoblocks and this Torii Mk4. The good news is that they all sound fantastic, and miles better than a lot of tube amps out there!

In my opinion, if you have super efficient speakers, the SV83 based amps are hard to beat. They are very fast and clean with ruthless detail retrieval (some won't like that). The need for only one rectifier and one input tube makes tube rolling cheap and easy to do. Using 6922 tubes you can find a tremendous variety of great sounding tubes, each with its own little flavor, and there is no need for expensive matched pairs. Rectifiers make a big difference in these little amps, and they will take lots of different rectifier types, so another easy to roll socket.

The Torii and the Mini Torii have such a huge variety of tube combinations, making the Torii series what I jokingly call the swiss army knives of the amplifier world. Unlike the swiss army knife, which isn't "really" good at anything, both of the Toriis sound spectacular. The Torii MK4 has a lot of power, sounds big and open but "weightier" than the SV83s or the Mini did for me. It is not as detailed as either the Mini or the SV83, probably becasue it is push pull, but it still presents a lot of ambiance that many other amps miss and a wonderfully coherent soundstage. If you have speakers of less than say 92 db/wm, the Torii is going to please you more, I would think.

Most of my speakers are in the 98-100 db/wm range, so power is not an issue for me. I ultimately prefer the SV83 amps, and in cashing out of this Torii, I am looking to buy myself a new Select and a new UHD TV for the family.

I've had my fun with the Torii, and I just don't need the power.  Its going to be hard to part with this one though!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 10/20/15 at 19:36:46

You make good points Kevin. It really does boil down to speakers you might happen to love. I've never heard high efficiency speakers I really like, and I fell in love with the Decware omni-directional speakers, and Toriis drive these so well. I'm also less of a fan of "ruthlessly revealing" because the material I play sounds better with a little "forgiveness."

But you can't go wrong with these amps partnered with the right speaker and matching your personal favorite audio flavor of playback.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 10/21/15 at 04:47:02

Hi Kevin, I would like to buy it for $2200, including shipping and PayPal to St. Paul/Oakdale MN.

Which pair of Inputs are the ones that work (the other pair are defeated-which is cool)?

Does it come with the Pelican Case?

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 10/21/15 at 14:43:07

The Torii Jr., is to close to my ZMA (so I canceled that). The IV, should be interesting in comparison. Plus, the awesome Tube compliment you are selling it with.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #16 - 10/21/15 at 20:21:38

Unfortunately, I am retracting my offer Kevin. I need to fund another endeavor. I can't have everything. I would love to spend the Winter with the IV and my ZMA. Alas, the ZMA will just have to do!   Grin

Good luck with your sale....this should be sold already at $2200 + FR. -Stone

PS-if you keep it/as you stated/PM me next Spring or Summer.....and I should be able to swing it. I would clearly understand though...if it's gone...at this price/as I mentioned.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/21/15 at 22:40:17

This is a great deal for this amp.  The descriptions of the situations it would work best in are spot on.  It's just a year late for me as I purchased an MkIII in 2014.

Are the bass/treble controls still left in tact when you upgrade from a III to a IV?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #18 - 10/21/15 at 22:40:36

No worries Stone.

So, still for sale as listed, $2200 + shipping for forum members. I'll absorb the paypal fees.

Thanks everyone.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 10/22/15 at 00:11:06

From the photos it looks as if the controls have also been converted to a Mk IV version.

IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #20 - 10/22/15 at 03:49:52

This is the back panel of the amp. Treble adjust and reconstructive feedback are there like a regular MK4.

Note, I did not own the amp when it was converted from Mk3 to Mk4.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 10/22/15 at 12:00:13

Thanks.  I am going to switch to some jupiters to mine but wondered about the full conversion.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #22 - 11/04/15 at 16:14:50

Info update about the transformers and inputs, from the original owner:

"I am fairly certain the output transformers are 8 & 16 ohm. Should be how they come stock. The green input is direct straight to the input tube completely bypassing the volume attenuator.  I requested this as I placed the original order."

Thanks everyone.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 11/04/15 at 16:28:03

Stock on the Torii MK IV is 4 and 8 ohm transformers with 8 and 16 being a no cost option per the cart.  Call Decware, with the serial number and date of purchase, they will be able to tell you all options on that Amp.  Mark.

IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #24 - 11/30/15 at 00:09:51

Bump....still available. Interesting trades considered.

Thanks everyone.

IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #25 - 12/19/15 at 21:08:50

Price lowered to $2000 plus shipping. Local pickup in the DC area is welcomed.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 12/23/15 at 03:17:32

The MKIV is a beautiful amp and this is a great price! If it were 4-8 ohm (I use 4 ohm for my speakers) I would jump on it...but already have one in my main room!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
popthropologist
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 12/28/15 at 22:20:14

Hi Kevin--

I don't have enough posts on the forum to send you a PM, but I'm interested in purchasing your Torii. Can you PM me?

Jon

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #28 - 12/28/15 at 22:58:08

Same here will, I conversed on Audiogon with Kevin. I need the 4 to 8 ohm Tranny's. It would have been sold.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
popthropologist
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 12/29/15 at 15:56:22

I got your PM, thanks Kevin. Just my luck. Do let me know if your buyer falls through.

IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #30 - 01/01/16 at 19:17:54

Sold. Thank you everyone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print