Send Topic Print
SE84UFO Fest Video (Read 9623 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

SE84UFO Fest Video
10/06/15 at 17:35:14

There is a new video at the top of the forum (I change them every so often) taken from late Sunday afternoon's Fest.

This is the Zen Triode 2 watt amplifier (SE84UFO) connected to a pair of Randy's small open baffle speakers, using the ZDSD as a source.

At the 4 minute mark, the speakers were changed to the Zen Monoliths (DM947)

Then at the 7:13 mark, I hooked up the ZMA (Ice cold btw) in place of the 2 watt Zen and put on a tape and cranked the volume up to a live level.  This way you can see what the difference is between 2 watts and 40 watts on the same speakers.  It's there, but not as great as you would think as the video demonstrates.

Anyway, as I stated elsewhere, Randy's $350 or so speakers and the 2 watt Zen UFO are so good together that I wouldn't have any problem living with them as my only stereo, and I'm pretty spoiled so it's says a lot.  :)

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: SE84UFO Fest Video
Reply #1 - 10/06/15 at 17:38:30

And looking ahead, when this video is replaced with something else, here is a permanent link to the video I'm talking about:

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/keztvra0qb

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #2 - 10/06/15 at 21:40:24

Now that is impressive.  Sign me up for a pair.  

But would it play symphonic music well?

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #3 - 10/07/15 at 04:30:07

thanks for this video. it was hard to see exactly what was happening without staying in front of the lap top all weekend!  I'm excited about my UFO, thanks for the preview it sounds great..... Can't wait!

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/07/15 at 07:59:40

Sounds great. Thank you Steve.

I've been enjoying my SE84CKCS w/ the UFO mod for a few weeks now and IMHO, the UFO takes this little amp into uncharted territories. I believe if rock concert SPL is not a requirement, I don't think there is a better amp dollar for dollar in the world. The icing on the cake is the flexibility of having 2 impedance taps for different speakers. The 8 ohm setting combined with my Omega single driver speaker has taken the sound to a level that I didn't think was previously possible. I'm at a lost for words everytime I listen to this combo.

If you have time Steve, can you release short video of SE84UFO paired with the DNA? I believe you said that you were going to do this a few months back but never got the chance. Also, I just ordered the new DNA and was curious on this combo. Thanks

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #5 - 10/08/15 at 21:59:20

How do these speakers handle bass?  How deep?  How tight?  How tonefull?  I really want to hear a pair.

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/08/15 at 23:37:53

The DNAs?

Very low (lower than the monoliths, I feel)

Very tight

Very tuneful

My only caution about the DNA is that the MarkAudio drivers have a certain sound to them that is unlike other drivers I have used.  I'm sorry I haven't found the words for it.  Not different bad, different good.  I like it.  YMMV

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/09/15 at 01:31:58

The recent mentioning of the DNAs got me looking at the Decware pages and they look like a great DIY speaker project.  Does anyone know what the drivers cost?  The radius corners would be a challenge but given the size, solid wood cabinets might be an option, which would make radiusing the corners no big deal.  Not sure how the density of different cabinet materials might effect the ultimate sound though.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #8 - 10/09/15 at 02:08:43

I'm sorry I meant Randy's open baffles.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/10/15 at 14:01:15

Archie,

They are MarkAudio Alpair 10P.  I am pretty sure Madisound carries them.  I think they are around $120 for each driver.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #10 - 10/12/15 at 16:27:05

Hi Kboe,

I held back from commenting on this, not wanting to "toot my own horn" ... but can offer a few thoughts.

The primary driver used in these speakers is an 8" full range driver.
As you would imagine, "full range" is probably not the best description for an 8" driver since there will certainly be some limitations at the low end.

In this baffle (22.5" high x 18" wide) the bass goes down to around 80 to 100 HZ, depending on the placement and distance from the room boundaries.

The bass is reasonably tight to my ears and VERY tuneful.
Being a "full range" type of driver, the sound is very coherent from top to bottom and the sound staging is very good.

For most of the music I listen to, they do a good job and with well recorded CDs and vinyl they sound wonderful.  For more demanding music and CDs with a tipped up top end, I recommend adding a subwoofer crossed over at 60 to 80 HZ.

I can highly recommend a plate amp driven Hawthorne Audio Augie 15" driver in a 3rd baffle which is what I run in my home system.

If you are up for a trip to the Cincinnati, OH area you have a standing invitation to hear these speakers in my home.
In January, I hope to have a storefront open to showcase the speakers.

I am also sending a pair of the speakers to Steve so that he has a pair on hand to demo for anyone traveling to Peoria.

If you have further questions, please let me know.
You can PM me via the forum.

Best wishes,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #11 - 10/25/15 at 21:00:06

Thank you Randy.  Perfect.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print