Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 11:59:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware amp with Green Mountain Audio speakers? (Read 16313 times)
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Decware amp with Green Mountain Audio speakers?
10/05/15 at 20:56:23

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and am considering taking the plunge and giving a Decware amp a try.  However, I am not sure whether my speakers (Green Mountain Audio Eos HD) are a good match for something like the Torii.  As such, I am wondering if anyone has used any of the Decware amps with Green Mountain Audio speakers and, if so, if they could share their experience as to which amp/speaker combo they tried/used, and whether it was a good match.
Thanks so much,
Chris

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware amp with Green Mountain Audio speakers?
Reply #1 - 10/07/15 at 17:38:18

I haven't heard that combination, but if you can provide some details on room size, how loud you listen, etc.  Me or someone else might be able to make some helpful comments.

At 90db, they should be OK with the Torii in a moderate sized room.  Maybe others can look at the impedence information and tell you more.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/07/15 at 21:48:52

Hi Palomino,
Thanks, yet again, for your help!  My listening room is about 13'x17'.  I listen to a wide range of music; pretty much anything from classical to jazz to classic rock.  Most of my listening is near-field, sitting about 8-9' from the speakers, but my wife and I like to have music playing while we work at home or are in the kitchen a couple of rooms away.  I currently have a Michael Yee PA-1 power amp (100W/channel into 8ohms), and have the volume pot on my line amp (also a Michael Yee) at about "8-9 o'clock" for listening, and the volume is plenty loud.  I was planning on trying to use the Torii Mk III alone, without the line amp, for the purest signal. The specs on my specific speakers appear below.
Thanks so much!

Eos HD Performance details:

Application(s). Time-coherent 2-way speaker sounds best on stands or a bookshelf.

User adjustability (Soundfield Convergence™). Tweeter adjusts front-to-rear in its channel via easy-to-use thumb-nut.

Power (amplifier’s 8 ohm rating). 7 to 150 Watts.

Response. In-room, typically +/- 2dB from 50Hz to 20kHz; - 3dB frequencies below 47Hz and above 26kHz. 20 to 24-inch high speaker stands recommended.

Distortion. <0.5% harmonic 100Hz-12kHz, <1% intermodulation, both at 98dB at 1m (I.M.D. is for any two frequencies separated by a 10:1 ratio.)

Phase shift. +/- 2 degrees acoustically, from 200Hz to 8.5kHz for Eos HD. Does not vary with loudness.

Rise time. <10 microseconds, positive or negative input. Does not vary with loudness.

Polarity. Positive, over full bandwidth.

Dispersion. Omni at 47Hz, smoothly decreasing to cardioid at 12kHz.

Impedance. 4.8 Ohms, +/- 0.75 Ohms 100Hz to 20kHz. Does not vary with loudness.

Sensitivity. 90dB for 2.83V at 1m, at sea level. Dynamically linear within 0.5dB to 100dB.

Max SPL. 105dB peak at 3m from stereo pair, first-arrival (without room gain).

Pair matching. Amplitude +/- 0.25dB; impedance +/- 0.15 Ohms, 160Hz-8kHz; crossover parts +/- .15%.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/08/15 at 20:02:58

Due to the impedance of your speakers they are closer to 88dB 1w/1m
I'm a bit surprised that Roy recommends as low as 7 watts.

Also volume control settings are not a very reliable way of knowing how much power is being used or how much is left.
Have you ever measured your listening levels with a meter?

IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/08/15 at 20:12:22

Hi Lin,
Thanks so much; I had not thought about the impedance lowering the effective efficiency.  That is a great idea to measure listening levels with a meter.  Unfortunately, at the moment, my existing amp is out of commission for unknown reasons (one channel has static), so I don't really have any way to measure that at this point.  It was due to the failure of my existing amp that I thought it might be a good time to fulfill my dream of owning a Decware amp, but now I'm concerned that the 88db 1w/1m may not be enough to get by with the 26w/channel in the Torii MkIII.  Any thoughts?
Thanks so much again,
Chris

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/08/15 at 20:29:36

I have a similar situation with my new speakers (look left) at 85dB.
A call to Steve might help.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/03/15 at 07:41:43

Lin, I noticed that sensitivity on Chris' speakers was provided using voltage, not wattage, so the 90 db/w rating may be correct.  (Still may be inflated, but what speaker manufacturer doesn't exaggerate this anyway?)

The thing that caught my eye was that it included "dynamically linear within 0.5 db up to 100 db."  Half a decibel of compression at 100 db, which, if the sensitivity spec is to be believed, comes at about 10 watts.  Curious that they would disclose such a spec.  It's typically the sort of spec you see from big arena and cinema speakers, which are flogged hard.  But I'm rambling here.

Chris, your room is small enough that a Torii would drive them to adequately loud levels.  

As for Lin, 25 watts would only take your insensitive speakers so far.  I'm sure it would sound nice, but won't rock out too loudly if the room is big and with distant listening position.  Nearfield setup?  That has a very good chance of working fabulously well.

IP Logged
Montobo
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 11/15/15 at 22:36:25

My room is the same size and listening distance the same.  I am using GMA Europa which is listed as 89 db.  Surely we are in the same boat here. The first amp I tried was transistor, rated at 35 watts.  I think it was FAR too much power and sort of a waste.  It was like "block party" loud when turned up.  Crazy.  Now I am using a 20 watt 6L6 push pull (with potentiometer) and with a preamp.  Lots of sound.  No problem.  In fact, I dial my power amp back to between 11 and 12 o'clock so that I can use the complete range of volume control on the preamp.  The preamp puts out 12 dB, which is very medium range.  If I had a 7 watt amp (driven by preamp) and I was not interested in LOUD, just fairly loud, then it would be fine.  Actually, I agree with Roy.  However, some people might want more. In short, 20 - 25 watts is plenty for the setup, for a typical listening range, unless you are keenly into CRANKING IT UP!!.  Btw, I listen to classical and jazz.

IP Logged
novice ear
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 12/14/15 at 05:13:32

For several months, I used a Torii Mk3 with Eos HXs.  The match was wonderful with plenty of headroom.  As an experiment, I tried to match the Eos with a Rachel.  For my tastes, there wasn't enough there with the Rachel.  I would find a Torii and enjoy the music.

ZKIT60
  IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/02/16 at 14:30:17

Thanks for your helpful reply.  
I did indeed take the plunge and purchase a Torii MkIII from someone on this forum, and the music that it is making with my Eos HDs is simply intoxicating Smiley
Chris

IP Logged
novice ear
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 03/02/16 at 22:25:28

Chris,

Glad to hear it.  You may want to check in with Roy.  He has several new speakers brewing.  ;)

Ron

ZKIT60
  IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/02/16 at 23:47:54

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the heads-up!  Is there any info on the web yet about his newest creations?
Best,
Chris

IP Logged
novice ear
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 03/03/16 at 12:32:02

Chris,

I would recommend a call.  The website tends to be significantly behind Roy's current capabilities.  For example, I just saw mention of the Eos HX upgrade (you should discuss this with him) on the website this fall.  At that time, I had already owned my Eos HX for over a year second hand.  ;)

Hope this helps,

Ron

ZKIT60
  IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/03/16 at 13:26:58

Hi Ron,
Thanks; will do!  I've spoken with Roy about the HX upgrade, and am trying to see how I can scrape together the money to move up from the HD version.  Out of curiosity, have you had a chance to hear/compare the HX to the HD version to see how significant the upgrade is?
Best,
Chris

IP Logged
novice ear
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 03/03/16 at 18:55:39

Chris,

Unfortunately, I was not able to compare the two Eos versions.  However.... (And you may not like me for saying this)... I thought the Chroma was VERY SIMILAR in sound Eos HX, except for the flexibility in adjusting the tweeter to your listening position and little "air".  So, have you considered the Chroma HX or Chromatose?   Wink

Ron

ZKIT60
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print