04/25/24 at 05:16:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on ZDSD (Read 13882 times)
JeffS
Verified Member

Question on ZDSD
09/21/15 at 05:53:07

The specifications for the ZDSD state the playback format accepted is WAV. My music is stored as AIFF.  The music streamer I use has an SPDIF output so it doesn't matter what format the music files are stored in.  Is that correct and I can use the ZDSD as a DAC with my music streamer?

IP Logged
marcocolo
Verified Member

Re: Question on ZDSD
Reply #1 - 09/21/15 at 12:22:22

Hopefully Steve will chime in but it seems that the WAV only refers to music on USB and SD cards.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/21/15 at 12:58:42

Yes, I use my ZDSD as a DAC most of the time, streaming from my computer. It works very well in this capacity.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/21/15 at 13:42:09

Based on the TASCAM DA-3000 web:
Quote:
Recording and playback formats:
PCM BWF(rec/play) / WAV(playback only), 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192kHz,
16/24bit

DSD DSDIFF / DSF,
2.8224/5.6448MHz

This applies to the SD and CF cards for record/playback.
USB sticks cannot be recorded to directly but can be used for playback and anything stored on the SD and CF cards can be copied to the USB stick for moving to a PC, etc.
As a trial I have recorded to CF in DSDIFF, DSF and PCM formats.
I've also copied .flac and .DSF files from my PC to USB stick and played those successfully on the DA-3000.
I stream out of my PC via USB and have a U12 USB converter to AES SPDIF into the DA-3000 and it works great.
I've also used the coax SPDIF output of my PC directly into the DA-3000 before and that works with no issue.

IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/21/15 at 22:05:58

Thanks for the feedback.  That's what I thought, just wanted to verify.  I'll be putting my order in for a ZDSD this week. I'll be comparing it as a DAC to the the Modwright Transporter I'm using, which has a 6SN7 tube output stage with tube rectified power supply.  Using its SPDIF output into the ZDSD will bypass the nice tube output and the internal DAC.  But the ZDSD's better DAC chips plus Steve's transformer coupled output stage I expect to sound as good or better.  And, I will then start recording all my LPs.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 09/23/15 at 18:51:07

Let us know how your LP's sound to DSD on SD card.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/23/15 at 20:29:51

I will Stone.  Have read everything you and others have written here about the ZDSD, and recall you have plans to record LPs I think.

But so far you have been just enjoying the ZDSD as a DAC, which you interestingly prefer over a long list of other DACs.  Including the PS Audio DS, which after much research but no listening I concluded must be the one to own.  I even transcribed to Word docs two of McGowan's & Ted Smith's videos describing the technology, just so I could better understand what they were saying.  But the price puts me off a bit, so based on what you and a few others have said here, I'll give the ZDSD a try.

However yesterday almost changed course and almost bought a PS Audio DS with Bridge 2 for $2,995 off Audiogon.  Seemed like a steal at the price with the Bridge 2, which alone retails for $899.  But it was sold before I could decide, and in retrospect I'm glad someone else bought it.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/23/15 at 22:38:09

@ JeffS - I don't know if you're aware or not, but there's a member on the forums (ILance) who owns both a ZDSD and PSA DSD (or at least owned both at one time) and has good things to say about them in this thread:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1422222973/167#167

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 09/23/15 at 22:43:43

Hi Jeff, all the DACS I've booted from my Listening Room are good DACS as you know. For me though, their is more "right" about Steve's Output Stage, going on for me. Especially, tonal balance with bass definition. My preference.

If you do go for the PS Audio DS....do get it from a reputable Dealer selling it on AudiogoN. I don't know if their is any transferable warranty for it. If their is not-shame on PS Audio-that is a red flag. Most don't do transferable warranties on circuit/mother boards. But, they should.

Plus, pay no more than $2500 or $2995., with the Bridge as you noted. That DAC is not worth a penny more. Plus, this allows you to flip it on AudiogoN stating its history....with no loss or little loss of your $$.

PS-yes, I do plan on recording some LP's this winter. You might beat me to it though. Please do and let us know (if you decide on the ZDSD).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/23/15 at 22:51:18

Yes I read that Beowulf at least two months ago and was glad to finally read some positive comments from someone other than stone :~)

I'd like to have both just like I think ILance does.  DACs are getting to be like phono cartridges, the well heeled who appreciate the differences in sound between different ones own multiples.  Maybe in 6 months or more PS DS will be more available at good pre-owned prices, I'll have 2 DACs, possibly.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 09/23/15 at 22:58:40

Exactly, some people around here have thin skins about DACS. I tell it like I hear it. I probably will go hear The PS DSD DAC, at a CDApS meeting in a few months with Pikes Peak or whatever the latest is.....Lonely Raven owns one.  I might end up with one too....at $2795., eventually as well.

Plus, people will not talk up a $1700 DAC when they bought a $4500 to 6k one (and made a big mistake for Redbook anyway).
Steve, likes to poke fun at the Audio weenies~especially with his killer output from the ZDSD for PCM from Transport and my SD cards. But, then, I prefer high end Cables..... . Go figure.....but they usually shut people up....after I demo.

But, remember it is a System.....I pull the best out of Steve's for PCM, with my gear and I am willing to hall it 5 hours away to show it off and see if it can be beat. But, also learn something in the process..... .

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Ztron Alpha Digital power cord....coming for ZDSD!
Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/176.4)
{also @ kept/-20 Ref Level & -.5db or -1.0 Input volume Level}

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)
10 of 10 for Input tube & 8 of 10 voltage for Output tubes
Volume adjustment used at 0 to 50%
WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
***NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions***
ZMA adjusted at 50% to 90% of Volume

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

REL T5 SUB, Neutrik connection from ZMA
{30Hz @ 35% of volume~0 Phase}
Auralex Subdude II

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 09/24/15 at 12:23:13

I haven't ordered a ZDSD for several reaons. One: I have a PS Audio DS and LOVE it. I let it mature and I have never heard anything else like it once it has (600 hours plus), and I just need one great DAC and have several. Two: I have run out of money for audio and I don't need to experiment, I have a system that makes me very happy. The  DS and the PerfectWave Transport I have have a special sound when the I2S via HDMI is used, and as my listening is disc based this suits me for most of my musical needs, and I can't believe the sound over all the material in my collection, I'm more than just happy. Three: I have had two digital sources of Steve's before and just was not satisfied with them. They were bright and dense in comparison to other sources that I like. I see that the high voltage weight and heft can be handy, but in my system I don't need it. . . I have even pulled my CSP2+ from the system getting better sound overall with my DS directly into the Torii, which doesn't seem to need a high input voltage. So no need for the ZDSD for me, and I suspect I personally would prefer the differing sound I get from the DS, and I've heard from one who owns both and one who has the DS and heard the ZDSD that they prefer the DS so I haven't been tempted. But I'm certain that for the price it's a killer DAC and I'm sure that many are going to be very impressed and happy with it! I'm interested to read more impressions from Decfest.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 09/24/15 at 13:44:20

1) To make the assertion that one can't make a decision whether they like a DAC, when having listened to it for over 120 hours is just ludicrous and asinine. So you know where you can put your 600 hours plus, Lon.   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

2) I will hear the PS DS again at the MN Audio Society.... . I doubt my opinion will change of it.

3) For the price and properly used; the ZDSD exceeds higher price spreads. So, to use the framing:"But I'm certain for the price...", is also asinine on your part.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 09/24/15 at 13:53:15

Plus, I've told you this at least twice Lon.....this is NOT a tube output stage this time.

You're a legend in your own mind....now arn't cha!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 09/24/15 at 19:05:43

Your whole post is what seems assinine to me. I made a perfectly reasonable, respectful post and you come back with a 12 year old's response. Ridiculous.

I know it's not a tube stage. It's still voiced the way Steve wants things voiced and I haven't prefered that way in the past. Why would I want to repeat disappointment? I'm allowed my preferences and decisions as much as you, and I posted because a) someone was considering the DS and I thought I would express my happiness with it as you express yours about the ZDSD, and b) you were inferring I am "thin-skinned" about DACs, and I'm not and expressed why I am not excited about the ZDSD, but you sure are exhibiting some thinness.

Aren't you the one raving about "giant slaying" abilities of your components? It is therefore not assinine to say "for it's price."

Grow up. You don't own this board, or this thread, and I am not the one making derogatory posts. I wasn't even addressing you.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 09/24/15 at 20:35:27

My goodness, you are so transparent. You continue to dig 12 year old style...not me.

I, call you out and you freak out.     ....that is on you.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 09/24/15 at 20:36:33

Sometimes I wonder if you even read what I write. Bye.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 09/24/15 at 20:37:58

I'm done-you're exhausting.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 09/24/15 at 22:42:39

I'm thinking that I can make some money from this disagreement!
'The "Rumble at the 'Fest" 2015. It will only cost you one tube per viewer!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/24/15 at 23:21:43

Quote:
It will only cost you one tube per viewer!

Great!  I'll use one out of the output sage from my ZDSD.   Cheesy

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #20 - 09/25/15 at 15:07:28

Okay....okay, break it up - break it up here now.  :D Grin

cease and desist
cease and desist

I'm taking my lead from the Pope, for now on. Man of Peace, no matter what your beliefs.

Peace and enjoy this great hobby!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063