Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 18:28:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Checking In/Vacation Update/Torii Jr (Read 3863 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Checking In/Vacation Update/Torii Jr
07/16/15 at 16:19:40

I haven't been able to write anything recently, but appreciate you guys keeping things interesting to read.  

Very interested in the Tori Jr.  It seems worth jumping in the car to hear this for myself.  I also hope to get over to Raven's to hear the latest DS software.

I did do some listening at the cottage during vacation.  With the Belden ICs and the WE speaker wire in place, I have gained a new appreciation for my Zygi-fied DNAs.  The cottage has to be dead quiet (even unplug the fridge) but the soundstage that can be produced with the arched ceilings and rough wood walls is very enjoyable.

I took my Chord Dac, Illuminati D60 Coax and PS Audio power cords and brought them into the system one at a time, appreciating the difference they each bring.  Most startling was the difference between the Chord with and without the LPSU.

I liked the DNAs so much that I am thinking about building a new pair with the MarkAudio drivers.  They dig deeper than the Monoliths and I love those bullet tweeters.

I can say that the Belden/WE wire combo, while tone/timbre/musicality is great, they do not have the detail of the Decware silver ICs/Styx combo.

I also did some listening at the beach with my DIY boombox.  It really seems to be coming in to its own lately.  It helps that I position it on top of my empty "wood hauling" container.  Great bass resonating cabinet of sorts.  I watched a Nina Simone documentary before I left and had a peak listening moment hearing a song of hers on the beach.

When I got home I did go right to the "temple" to compare my audio memory to the cottage rig.  All I can say is the treated room and the Torii still rule.  The soundstage is just so real and vivid with this combo.  

Do I really need a Torii Jr????

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Checking In/Vacation Update/Torii Jr
Reply #1 - 07/16/15 at 17:32:54

I love the photo and system exploration, Tom. I think it's funny, you never were really happy with those DNA, and now you sound in love with them.

I have that spare bedroom now, but it's really, really small. Still, I'm looking forward to hearing the El Camino in it. Especially now that I have that Eico amp from Lon. It needs more work than I thought, but I think I can get it working without hiring (amp repair) help.

I still have all the gear and room treatment in the living room if you want to stop by for a listen. The house is so much cleaner now with Bri and her big dog gone!  ;D

Maybe you could bring those new ICs and speaker wire over and we can give it a listen in my system? Sunday is still looking good.

I'm jealous of your vacation by the way - that just looks so relaxing.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 07/16/15 at 17:34:46

Forgot to add - I've not had any Torii Jr time - and it's going to prove harder to visit Steve since I don't have someone to watch my dog on Tuesday nights. From now on I have to rush home from Peoria to let her out.  :-/

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/16/15 at 18:21:30

Bummer on the rushing home.  You have the ZMA qualities down cold and could give a good comparison to the Jr.  I am pretty content with my system right now, but hey, a step closer to the ZMA is worth looking at.  If I don't get down there soon, it could be a killer Zenfest this year with all the stuff Steve is cooking up.

I haven't begun sleeping with the DNAs or anything, but I did really appreciate them more this trip than I have in the past.  Actually, I also appreciated them more last visit as well.  I had the Belden/WE combo going then too.  The icing on the cake was probably the Chord and/or the Illuminati this time around.

There was a period where the DNA's fell out of favor.  The time you practically blew them up with the ZMA was an eye opener.  That sounded pretty bad.  So I took them to the cottage running with lower power Rachael and have been fairly happy.  I had always been thinking about a replacement though, but now I think I will run with them a while and/or try them with the MarkAudio drivers.

My pecking order is still Monoliths, El Camino's and then the DNA's.

I also want Rob to experiment with the Audio Nirvana's so I can hear them Smiley  I've always thought something open baffle would sound good up there.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/16/15 at 18:23:51

P.S. you love your detail.  I don't think you will like the Belden/WE wire combo.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print