Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 20:56:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A request (Read 6733 times)
dvl

A request
06/02/15 at 23:44:43

i have been out of the high-end audio world for seven or eight years now. i had to focus on college tuition for my son, so the hobby got set aside for a bit. i'm ready to get back in, and i have been itching to listen to some Decware gear.

Before i dive in without hearing any of the amps or speakers, i thought i would check to see if there is anyone in the Chapel Hill, NC, area that owns some Decware gear and would be willing to let this humble soul have a listen. i would very much appreciate it.  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: A request
Reply #1 - 06/03/15 at 15:40:15

Good deal! I wish I was in the area to help out! Hopefully someone chimes in for you.

If not, check out some of the CDApS threads! We've been doing a lot of experimenting and playing around with various Decware amps and speakers and even various brands of DACs.

I hope we can help you get back into the groove!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 06/03/15 at 19:18:05

Ah Chapel Hill! I spent four studying years there, between 1983 and 1987, at UNC-Kenan Flagler School of Business. Nice place! The first CD's were coming up and I bought many of them, especially classical music (Beethoven and Mozart piano concertos were my staple at the time). Sorry I can't help, as I'm really far away from Chapel Hill now.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/03/15 at 19:46:08

Where is Ziggy.  He is NC, just not sure what city.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
dvl

Reply #4 - 06/03/15 at 21:50:29

Chapel Hill is a wonderful place to live. Came for graduate school 26 years ago and never left.

One question you guys might be able to help me with. On the website it says that the Monoliths will work in any room. My room is pretty small, 11x15. i'm worried they wouldn't have room to breathe. i don't know that i would be completely satisfied with the 945/946 by themselves, and radials are not to my liking. Do you think i could make the Monoliths work in such a small room?

Thanks for all your help, and all the information you guys provide in these forums. i've been reading this website for the past two weeks. Great education!

David

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 06/03/15 at 22:08:37

David,

I think Palomino's room is about that size, and he's got them working very, very well. But then, he's also placed some room treatments in there to help. Any room that small is going to have trouble with any speakers, but there should plenty of room "to breathe"

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/03/15 at 22:40:11

Ziggy is about 2 1/2 hrs from you.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 06/04/15 at 13:07:23

If it is of any help, my room is also quite small and I have the DM945's (with Mundorf Supreme Caps on it), on stands. If you combine these with a good SUB, the sound is great.

I replaced the DM945's with some Tekton Lore 2.0's, for its tangibly higher sensitivity (my amp is a measly 4 watts at 8 Ohms), and overall I wanted some more microdetail from just above and just under midrange bands, which I'm getting. At the time I had just some DIY absorption panels in my room which helped tremendously to tame the potential buzzing and booming you may get from a small, bare wall room.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
dvl

Reply #8 - 06/04/15 at 13:37:18

Thanks for all the info, everyone. Fortunately, the room is all mine and i can do anything i want to it short of changing the dimensions. i've played with it in the past and coaxed pretty good sound out of it. Hopefully, i can have the same kind of success again.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #9 - 06/04/15 at 14:30:52

dvl - If you have done it before, then I bet you can get good sound out of that room again. It just takes patience and a realistic expectation. Our Rachael/ZP3/Omega combo is giving us great joy. All the Decware products are fantastic (IMHO) and Steve and Company are great to work with and as you have found the forum has a wealth of info, opinions, experience and a lot of laughs. Enjoy and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print