03/28/24 at 20:19:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just an opinion (Read 7554 times)
RJR
Seasoned Member

Just an opinion
04/29/15 at 02:17:40

I currently have Zu Omen Def MK 1b with nano drivers (I will not upgrade nor pay $5000 for their new MK2 with Radian 850 tweeter), Decware MK3 (awesome), Decware CSP2+ (love it)  Music Hall MMF5.1, Squeezebox Classic and Channel Island Audio DAC.  I am interested in buying a Schitt Gungnir DAC and Auralic Aries or getting the Sony Hi Rez Player.  I have to admit I am happy that I am not attending the Audio Shows or have any high-end audio dealers in Virginia Beach VA.  If I did, I probably would have bought something from them that is inferior to my set up, but paid double or triple.  But wait, my system IS just average because I bought it without listening to it.  Yep!  

Dagogo has an article out called, “Are you a beginner audiophile?”  http://dagogo.com/are-you-a-beginner-audiophile   It is a good read, but I don’t agree with everything or most everything.  The article points out, “But if you’re just getting started, the only way that you can possibly make the choices you need to make in order to put together a system that meets your tastes and expectations, as well as pieces that will actually work well together, is with the help of a knowledgeable audiophile and/or a very friendly and knowledgeable neighborhood audio dealer.”  Well I do not have an Audio Society in Hampton Roads VA nor do I have high-end audio stores here either.  I took a chance on Zu and Decware and the marriage is great.  Can I compare or have I compared to anything else…NO.  Is there better…YES.  At what cost.  Amplifier at $35k and speakers at $20k plus the other stuff???  

I don’t know if my system is good or great compared to others.  How can I tell if I have not heard other arrangements?  I have to believe and trust the companies I buy from, the reviews I read and the forums.  I really have no other choice.  There is no way on earth I can hear combinations, let’s just say, 20 amps paired with 20 pairs of speakers and then decide.  Sometimes you just have to take a chance.  But Dagogo or other high-end publications probably wouldn’t agree with me.  

Well I am very happy with my set up, though, I will make tweaks here and there, but not at the $$$ that some may recommend.  

Just my 2₵

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: Just an opinion
Reply #1 - 04/29/15 at 12:45:19

+ 1  ;)

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/29/15 at 13:12:01

You've described the dilemma many of us are in, and the importance of finding excellent, consistent, faith-inspiring designers/manufacturers such as Decware (and in my case also PS Audio, Herbie's Audio Lab, Cryoset and VooDoo Cable). Though in some ways these individuals are enablers that turn our hobbies into obsessions---that's hardly their fault! Wink

Or is it. . . hmmm.  :)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 04/29/15 at 16:41:32

Derive your peace of mind from the involvement you're getting from your System. My downstairs System is good...but no where near the involvement an pleasure of my full attention/Listening Room-period.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport ****(DVP-NS57P)****
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC
Decware DSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita/National PCC88/7DJ8.....in A12 an B12 Input Tube positions)
Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable

***Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/118, 119 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)

Decware SE84CS (NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) ...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

***Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-on Tweets/4.5 cross
Mr. Lee's superior custom - w/less distortion under-hung neodymium shielded woofer's designed to his specifications in Germany & his in-house designed and made tweeter's.....78lb's each and at 48 inches tall.....can cause a Quake in the Room through these Transmission Lines when desired. Bass: deep - tight & musical at any Volume level with tonal balance.
(Gutted: 3rd order Linkwitz/Riley's....with all crappy parts = gone).

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 04/29/15 at 17:05:43

I would add, I was also part of the MN Audio Society and listened to some of the best megabuck Systems from Audio Research, Magnepan and Bel Canto to name a few. I would own these Systems if they could match my Listening Room above....they can't.

I still have a sweet spot for Herron Audio's Preamplifier though and still might end up owning it to accompany my ZMA.
http://www.herronaudio.com/vtsp3specs.html

However, Steve will match it with the new Pre coming.....because I know how good the CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps is...and I own.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #5 - 04/29/15 at 17:44:36

I just began my audiophile journey Feb 2014' when I received my SuperZen amp. The wealth of info in these forums has made the journey, and equip choices, much smoother. Had I not discovered Decware and the forums God knows what mess I'd be dealing with. My additions and tweaks continue to bring the listening pleasure up and up.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #6 - 04/30/15 at 05:22:19

RJR - your post brings back so many memories for me.  My situation held many parallels, albeit I had access to dealers (but didn't/don't like them).  I have much to offer and yet so much to ask.  I'll devise a post tomorrow that delves more thoroughly into our shared experience and my path through; perhaps it can help.

BTW, my mom and sister live in Norfolk, nice area.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 04/30/15 at 12:43:21

At the end of the day, it's still a trial-and-error process, which can become more convergent (efficient) as one gets the right information at the right times (upgrading stages).

For me, first-hand experience from fellow enthusiasts, with reasonably similar setups, is worth much more than any professional review or commercial speech out there. Forums are a must in this hobby and one has to wisely choose the right sources of info even within selected forums.

The Decware forum, for example, aside from having so much collective experience and know-how, has the absolutely wonderful added benefit of genius Steve Deckert, who is always willing and ready to guide us through this sonic laberynth.

Just my humble experience ...

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #8 - 05/06/15 at 02:53:07

Well, I've been meaning to get back to my promised post for a while but kept forgetting, sorry RJR.  I'm sure you were waiting with bated breath at what I'm about too say... Wink

When I first read your post I missed your sarcasm; it was late and I processed that you thought it was, indeed, average.  Now that I see that isn't the case it changes my response slightly, but only to admit that when I first started building my system based on online reviews, I felt it was average!  If you haven't felt that way, bravo!

My experience was, sadly, a revolving door of boxes and cables to finally attain that synergy.  And, due to a character flaw (or whatever), even when I had attained something special it took confirmation from two regulars here to push me into the "satisfied" part of the audiophile spectrum.  Maybe I'm just hard to please?  I know how hard it is to put a system together without having heard a thing prior to purchase, but even still, I'm not convinced that even if you had heard something at a dealer that it will translate in your room, with your equipment, your power quality, etc.  I think it was in Jim Smith's book "Get Better Sound" where he described an individual that heard Jim's system in Jim's home, and was so enthralled that this person set about purchasing the exact system for himself.  When he got it home, it sounded nothing like what he had previously heard.  When I first read that several years ago I didn't understand.  Now?  Yeah that sounds right.

I was writing to my uncle not long ago, and told him that he was primarily responsible for my hobby, then proceeded to explain, at his request, every link in the chain, where I got it, why I picked it, yada, yada, yada... he responded "wow, how on earth did you ever put a system like that together on your own?!?".  He grew up with an audio dealer, prior to all these forums and direct-to-consumer companies and was completely flabbergasted how I could pull this off, and he hasn't even heard it!  Bottom line, I'm sure he and Ray Seda (author of your article link above) have something in common: the paradigm has shifted and many don't understand how it can be done.  Well, it can!

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/06/15 at 10:19:13

In my case it`s all down to LBI and LAI. Life before internet was all about `have cash check out dealer ads in mags and a trip to the local hifi shop`. This ended up with an evolving system which synergy was a word you might use if you`d swallowed a dictionary. Same with eveyone else I knew, and listening to music was a massive pasttime. You`d put a system together and `get into it`. I knew people that actually had those Akai tin boxes with rumble and scratch filters, and you could hear the woomp woomp woomp of the tt. What was that mysteriously sounding `wow and flutter` ?
Even if you had the money you could never audition a fraction of the gear available. One chain of hifi shops which sold the branded gear of their choice. Good gear but meant for people outside my paygrade. The Rega TT was stocked and I got one and used it for 25 yrs. I bought a couple of carts from them as well. Later on I bought my Rocksan deck through them and a pair of Focal speakers, and bits and bobs. So you could say I supported my local dealer well. And no regrets.
Life after the internet and for me, it`s like when The Wizard Of Oz goes from black and white into colour.
And it doesn`t mean you just look at used gear all day and then find the reviews of it. All my gear was bought new except for speakers and sp cable.
Now I still do have a problem with synergy and have to take a leap of faith. Thankfully I found Decware, and as with the old hifi shop that sold branded goods with their in house sound = their synergy, the Decware in house sound = their ( Steves ) synergy. So I took the easy way out and, I think the wisest, so all amps and cables are synergetic with front end and speakers complimenting them as best as I can....so far.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print