Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 11:50:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii with 89 db speakers? (Read 15959 times)
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Torii with 89 db speakers?
04/14/15 at 02:27:22

I am a newbie here.  I am not in the market for a new amp right now but may be in the coming 6 to 12 months. For reasons obvious to anyone on this forum, the Decware line looks very appealing.   Right now, I am using a pair of Fritz REV 7 speakers that are 4 ohm, 89 db sensitivity.  The Preamp is a Tortuga passive (no gain).

These are not exactly high efficiency speakers that would easily work well with a SET amp.  Of the Decware line, the Torii looks like my best bet.   (I can't afford the ZMA or monos).  Does anyone have experience driving speakers of a similar profile with a Torii ?  Any thoughts are appreciated.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii with 89 db speakers?
Reply #1 - 04/14/15 at 13:05:28

Hi Ellsworth,

TORII should be fine to drive those speakers.  I used to run my TORII mkII through 91dB - 8 ohm B&W DM630 speakers with relatively more complex crossovers.  When I tried to run it with 87dB ProAC D28s, I had some clipping.

A night-time listening experience should perfectly fine, but it would not be party-level volumes during the day time...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/14/15 at 13:27:07

If you can't afford a ZMA or the big monos (join the club!) the Torii is your best bet. I agree with Alper's assessment.

Welcome Ellsworth! One of my favorite musicians has Ellsworth as a middle name, Charles Ellsworth Russell, best known as Pee Wee Russell. Then there is the Deadwood character. Those are the only Ellsworths I've known about!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/15/15 at 00:57:44

Thanks for the welcome and the replies.  Ellsworth is my favorite character from deadwood but I also love Pee Wee Russell.  I didn't  realize that was his full name.

The Torii would probably work but it sounds like I am right on the border of what they can easily drive..    I like these speakers a lot but would probably be better off moving to ones that are easier to drive.

The other option is to wait until I can save enough for monos or the ZMA.  These seem like they would be amps that I could hold on to for 10 or 20 years.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/15/15 at 03:29:28

Glad you like the Deadwood character AND Pee Wee. Smiley

I guess it boils down to how much you love your speakers. I had the small Zen amp then fell in love with Steve and Bob's radial speakers and as a result. . . I moved all the way up to a Torii. I can't part with the speakers and the little amp just doesn't quite do them justice.

Waiting for the dollars for the bigger amps makes sense. . . if the wait isn't too long! Wink

The standard recommendation is a good one: talk to Steve. He knows best how the amps work with so many different speakers. . . he'll give you good advice.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/15/15 at 10:22:05

The ZMA should not be extremely different from the TORII as far as running the 89dB speakers apart from some slight gain in the headroom.  

What I would do is buy the TORII and wait till it fully breaks in.  If it does not run your speakers comfortably, I would look into a more efficient cross-over for your existing speakers.  My 91dB B&W's used to have extremely inefficient, complex cross-overs and TORII felt quite at home in running them fine.  Steve recommended me a very simple cross-over with just one cap at one point but I never had the energy to give it a shot.  This sometimes end up in a shouting speaker which gives listening fatigue, but it is worth a try.

If you are still not happy with the outcome and prefer keeping your speakers, you can sell the TORII which has a decent second-hand value and invest in the MONOs.  If you prefer keeping the TORII, you can move into a new set of speakers!  :)

Good luck...

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #6 - 04/15/15 at 18:32:14

Before I got my present Zu Audio Soul Superfly speakers, my Torii Mk 4 was able to drive my Alesis Monitor One MK2 passive speakers ( 88db 4 Ohms) with ease.

The Alesis $199 speakers can comfortably compete with any $1000 speakers out there.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alesis-monitor-1-mkii-passive-monitors-...

The "secret" lies in their flat frequency response, a hallmark of simple plain good engineering design.

IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/16/15 at 02:48:13

Thanks again for the replies.  Glad to hear that the Torii has managed similar type speakers.  These speakers have simple crossovers and a friendly impedance curve so my guess is that they will work with the Torii.

My current amp has good resale value so I could try the Torii and sell off one of the amps after doing an evaluation (or switch speakers).

A couple more questions if I may:
1). Does the Torii run hot?
2)  if running it with a passive pre, would a Zbox be worth considering?

Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 04/16/15 at 03:04:38

1) Yes, no getting around it, four big power tubes, two big recgtifiers, even the input tubes get pretty darned hot.

2) It may or may not make a big difference. . . hard to say definitvely. In general I think it may not be needed, the Torii's input stage will help many front ends imo.

IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/16/15 at 03:29:19

My rack has 10 inches of space top to bottom but is open front and back.  Not sure if that  would cause a problem as I have no experience with a full tube amp.  My Rogue hybrid amp just has two 12 au7s and runs very cool.

It would be great to try a Zbox but my front end is pretty decent so will probably pass on it.  Thanks again for the hospitality on this forum.  It has been appreciated.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/16/15 at 07:57:49

I used my TORII mkII without pre for quite some time.  It sounded pretty good that way.  Yet after I added the CSP, it crossed to a different league.  I have never tried it with a passive pre, but before investing in one, I would use it without and see if you are happy or not.  It is best to try/observe/change components one by one, IMO.

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/16/15 at 22:06:37

Hey Ellsworth (from SH Forums I presume?).  Welcome to the forums! Cool

IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/17/15 at 01:57:25

Thanks for the welcome (I am the Ellsworth from the Hofmann forums).  The heat issue might be a deal breaker.  I could possibly sacrifice part of my rack and drill holes in the top to allow for more airflow but am not sure how practical that is.

The passive vs active preamp question is one I want to explore further (funds permitting).  I have never had a good tube preamp so I am not sure what it would do for me.  Unfortunately, a remote control is essential for me so the Decware pre is not an option.  So many choices but it should be fun exploring

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/17/15 at 02:39:38

If you don't have rack space, perhaps an amp stand that would sit separately on the floor?  I've seen a lot of guys use that type here.

Also I don't know if you're aware, but Steve is currently designing and building a new Preamp where a remote would be an option and transformer based for a truly balanced option.

I'm a remote guy too and it is an essential part of my listening (all I need is volume), but nonetheless it is an important feature to me.  I currently use a McIntosh C220 Preamp with a Decware Taboo MK II SEP amp and its been a great combo.  As much as I only need volume, the Mac remote does just about everything you could think of including source switching, tone controls, etc.

That being said I believe Steve's new Preamp is going to be something really special and I may need to have one of those as well.

IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/17/15 at 03:09:08

I wasn't aware that a remote controlled preamp was in development.  Very interesting.  That could be really helpful.

I would like to do an amp stand but with 6 year old twins running through my living room, it would take about two days before they crash into the amp!  They are trained to stay away from the speakers but I would have have a heart attack if the amp were out on the floor.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/17/15 at 18:20:43

Given how hot the tubes get I think your twins would learn pretty quickly what "Do not touch." meant!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/21/15 at 02:42:06

Yes, they would learn very quickly not to touch Dad's funny glowing box of light bulbs on the floor! Grin

But yes, I agree tubes and munchkins don't mix unless they are high up and out of the way.  Anyways, you read more about the new Preamp in development by clicking here.

IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/26/15 at 23:38:00

The upcoming preamp with remote might offer a very nice upgrade over a passive and give me more of the imaging and holographic sound/ presence that I am looking for.

Another option is to start from scratch and look for high efficiency speakers to go with a smaller amp or just keep what I have and splurge for the Torii.  (And erect a fence around it to keep the kids away)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print