Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 13:08:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
15ohm speakers on Mini Torii (Read 2547 times)
chalun823
Verified Member

15ohm speakers on Mini Torii
04/01/15 at 07:32:48

Hi Decware community!

I am thinking about running a pair of Lowther drivers @ 15ohm on the mini torii. Other than the amp not providing full power, are there other drawbacks?

Or...should I not worry about it and just go ahead?

Thanks guys!

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Re: 15ohm speakers on Mini Torii
Reply #1 - 04/01/15 at 08:07:17

From my very simplistic electronics understanding:

less resistance/ohms means more current flow > burns up wires too small to handle the current.

more resistance/ohms means less current (less sound too) > no problem.  should be the same as adding a resistor in series with a "normal" speaker.

Now I have no idea if parts of a tube are affected by seeing higher resistance on the output.  Does some part of a tube get hotter because fewer electrons are flowing?  don't know. don't think so.  plus the output transformers are in the way, scaling the change somewhat.  

99% sure you'll be fine.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: 15ohm speakers on Mini Torii
Reply #2 - 04/01/15 at 13:10:15

I know the Mini Torii maxes out in power at 8 Ohms nominal Impedance. Anything below or above it, brings it into an exponential decreasing curve in power. So, you are right, the power (SPL) will suffer, ceteris paribus.

I'm not familiar enough with the topic to comment on possible side effects other than power, but I bet the Mini Torii can go all the way to 16 Ohms, without trouble.

There is a special transformer for the Mini that is apt for using it with speaker impedances over 8 Ohms (as opposed to the std 2 - 8 Ohm offering), which I think would suit the Mini much better in these circumstances. I would ask Steve about that possibility or reconsider the speakers choice.

Good luck!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print