04/20/24 at 10:10:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help!!! (Read 2895 times)
RJR
Seasoned Member

Need help!!!
03/29/15 at 00:04:24

I have the Torii Mk3 and having unbalanced sound.  The left channel is louder than the right channel and the balance is uneven.  Here is what I have done to no avail: Sad

1) Switched all of the tubes from the left to the right side one-by-one.  Didn't help.
2) Made sure that the ohms are set equally.  Both switches are forward.
3) Switched the speaker cables.  When I do this, then the right speaker becomes louder because it is in the left post.
4) If I switch the sources RCA cables, then the right speaker becomes louder because it is now on the left side input jack.
5) The treble and bass knobs are set equally too.

Actually when I play a mono tune, the sound is also louder on the left side.

The right channel just doesn't seem to provide the appropriate power as the left and lags behind.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Need help!!!
Reply #1 - 03/29/15 at 00:41:49

I suppose to rule out the source and ICs might be good? If you switch the ICs going into the Torii, so the right is louder, and then if switching sides with the speaker cables at the amp only does not change it (the right remaining louder), this would rule out the amp, right?

If it is before the amp, moving the whole left IC to the right (both connections) and visa-versa, if the right becomes louder, wouldn't it be the ICs? And if the left stays louder, having ruled out the amp and ICs, it would seem to be the source? I don't know...this is a dyslexic's nightmare, which I am, but you get the idea.

Good luck.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
RJR
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/29/15 at 02:43:11

Will,

Thanks.  I think I figured it out.  I have two sets of outputs on my DAC and the one that I was using definitely has an issue.  Switched to the other side and it sounds normal.  Though, I swear that most music sounds louder on the left channel than the right.  Just by a little bit, yet enough to hear it.  

Thanks again!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/29/15 at 03:38:49

RJR,

I forget, but every time I remember to clean my connections, I do them all and am amazed. Don't know what conditioner you use, but I really like Deoxit Gold. I clean with deoxit cleaner then use the Gold. If I leave the gold on very long the sound gets a little muted, but if brushed on and wiped/buffed right away, I think it does its thing beautifully, theoretically filling fine pits and scratches, while enhancing the whole connection.

If you haven't lately, may be worth cleaning things anyway if you don't have a conditioner.

Glad things are closer! I have a slight difference in volume at times, but usually because I bumped a speaker, or some input tubes are a little off...BUT, the cleaning reminds me...

I have had tube sockets get dirty and create a slight volume difference between channels. If you don't have a cleaning kit, I think the Deoxit kit from Music direct is really good. It has cleaner and gold and a nice selection of different sized socket brushes and is now on sale!

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-1158-caig-vacuum-tube-survival-kit.aspx

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print