Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Smoking Transformers! (Read 9801 times)
hostler
Verified Member

Smoking Transformers!
03/16/15 at 22:55:48

Hi

I recently bought my first Decware Amp via Ebay - a mini Torii.

I'm new to tube amps, but fairly savvy when it comes to Hifi and all things electrical.

However, when I power up the Amp all I hear is mains hum, and after about a minute a strong burning smell and smoke coming from the transformers!!

The volume and tone controls do not respond/crackle or seem to change anything. The source is not amplified.

Some of the tubes glow (though not all) but i'm not sure which ones will/won't as i'm inexperienced.

The only positive thing that can be done is to enable/disable the left or right channels - which do switch on or off the mains hum to each channel.

It's a 240V unit according to the sticker on the bottom, being used on a 240CV supply. I connected the amp to some B&W 601's.

I have written to the vendor to see if they tested the unit prior to shipping, but meantime I wonder if the community here can help shed any light on what might be causing this. I only have the set of tubes supplied to hand, and non appeared damaged in transit.

I was so looking forward to hearing my first Decware Amp. Hope I get to soon!

Many thanks

Tom

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Re: Smoking Transformers!
Reply #1 - 03/17/15 at 10:36:40

Hi Tom
firstly: congtrats on a decware amp, i have the same one, a 240 volt since i live in Norway. Are you the one who won the auctioned minitorii on ebay?

all tubes are warm when functioning correctly, but the 12au7 isnt glowing, neither is the rectifier, atleast not like some of the tubes, i think you can touch them some, you are sure u have placed the tubes correctly? some may fit in more than one slot. To figure out if one tube is broken, switch from left to right channel.  Tubes can look ok, at least for untrained eyes like mine, but still be malfunctioning. If smoke comes out of the amp... dont turn it on..

some of us have a little hum in the speakers, usually not noticable when you are a few feet feet from speakers. I do, but not a problem, even with ok sensitive speakers.

Did you mean that if you turn of one channel, the other side works as supposed to?

A good advice would be to call Steve, at least i would do so, but some in here may have a better answer to what is wrong

IP Logged
hostler
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/17/15 at 13:41:04

Hi Jorgen

Thanks for your reply. I am the winner of that recent auction - I hope I didn't beat you Wink

The hum is audible, and volume does not change if you operate the controls.

I am in the process of checking tubes and double checking everything, and the vendor is being very helpful too.

Will let you know how I get on.

Tom

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/17/15 at 14:11:28

Tom,  Burning smell and smoke is not good...and you should shut everything off immediately.  The last time something like this happened...without the smoke, the buyer had the rectifiers and OA3s in the wrong tube sockets.  When you set the amp up you really need to look at the diagrams in the owner's manual and follow other directions.  I'm sure you've done all this but if not, I've given the users manual below.  If all else fails as everyone has suggested, call Steve.  Mark.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/Minitoriimanual.pdf

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
hostler
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/17/15 at 15:13:59

Thanks Mark

I will check and recheck tubes, I followed the visual guide from the vendor, and consulted the manual - but i'll double check the model numbers on the tubes themselves to be sure the photo wasn't incorrect.

Will let you know

T

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/17/15 at 17:07:03

Tom
No you didnt beat me in the auction, but I noticed itaccidently when it was about 90 minutes left and highest bid was less than 600, and was curious how it turned out. Lots of guys in here are very knowledgeable. There is a lots of good tips all ready in different topics. Bet you will love the MT once you get it started and running properly.

J

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 03/17/15 at 18:17:23

Tom - Call the mothership, the ZEN Master Steve. He will help. His products are AMAZING. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
hostler
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 03/17/15 at 23:57:50

Thanks everyone.

The vendor of the amp has been very understanding, and whats the chance to investigate and put this right himself. I need to respect that diligence and afford him the chance to investigate.

So, much as i'd love to chat to Steve, I first need to exhaust those channels.

So close to hearing a MT though!! Having now actually held one and felt the build quality, I am sorely tempted to double down and order a brand new one direct!!

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions. Look forward to re-joining the community soon.

Tom

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print