03/28/24 at 16:39:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo and subwoofer (Read 4416 times)
zen101
Verified Member

Taboo and subwoofer
02/20/15 at 07:09:27

How do you add a subwoofer to the Taboo?

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Re: Taboo and subwoofer
Reply #1 - 02/20/15 at 14:54:31

Quote:
SO WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON’T HAVE A PREAMP OUT?
Most subwoofers are designed to handle this situation. They have a high-level input (sometimes called speaker-level input) that hooks up to the speaker taps of your amp. All you do is run another pair of speaker cable from the output taps of your amplifier into the high-level input on your subwoofer. This connection works the same way as a preamp/subwoofer output: It takes the voltage from the amp as the signal and sends it into the subwoofer.

This does not cause a power draw on the amp you hook up to. It is merely sharing the signal with your main speakers, not the power of the amp. This means there is no power draw, and the impedances all remain the same.

In fact, even if your preamp or integrated has a preamp/subwoofer output, you may want to consider using the high-level connection method. The most prestigious subwoofers in the industry are made by REL of England. They are the “Gold Standard” of the industry and priced accordingly, topping out at $9,000! REL recommends using the high-level input for all of their subwoofers. The reason they recommend this type of connection is as simple as it is logical: it ensures your subwoofer is seeing the EXACT SAME SIGNAL as your speakers. If you use the preamp/subwoofer output from your preamp or integrated, the signal seen by your subwoofer does not include the tonal balance and timing cues created by the amp. By using the high-level connection, the subwoofer gets the same signal as your main speakers, keeping them in better synch with each other, thus improving sound quality.

One snippet of information: Often times subwoofers will allow you to hook them up to the speaker taps of the amp and to cross-over the main speakers, restricting how much low information they get. Don’t assume this is a benefit. It may allow the mains to play louder as they are not having to move as much air, but the downside is you can lose some clarity. Experiment as different products work different ways.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/pages/Using-a-Subwoofer-in-a-System-with-no-Subwoofe...

I have tried my Sub connected via Line Level (interconnects) and Speaker Level (speaker level connection). I prefer Speaker Level by far, Bass just seems to integrate with the mains more seamlessly.

I use CAT-5 computer network cable purchased from Lowe's by the foot. For the low frequencies this sounds good to my ear and is inexpensive.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Re: Taboo and subwoofer
Reply #2 - 03/12/15 at 00:19:04

Why do you use computer cable?  I'm assuming since I use banana plugs for my main speakers I'll have to use spades to connect to a subwoofer?  Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print