Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 13:43:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OA3 Voltage Regulator dimmed (Read 5439 times)
RW82
Verified Member

OA3 Voltage Regulator dimmed
02/11/15 at 07:44:53

I've noticed that one of my OA3 voltage regulators has dimmed in the past couple of days.  When I started using the pair, they were equally bright.  I thought I read a post by Steve a while back saying that the VR tubes are rarely of equal brightness, but I can't find the post anymore.  

Is this a problem?

MBP 24 bit Audio via Oppo 103, PS Audio PWD Mk II DAC, Z-Stage, Pass Labs 30.8, Decware DM 947 Speakers.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: OA3 Voltage Regulator dimmed
Reply #1 - 02/11/15 at 14:13:35

Probably not. I had a Raytheon 0C2 take a dump on me one time but it just stopped lighting up. More likely than not the 0A3 you speak of is dying. Put another one in there and see what happens.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #2 - 09/13/15 at 13:38:57

Just a tip on the VR tubes.

Be sure to replace them after 2 years of usage.

Recently I noticed a dip in the sonics of my amp, the music sounded a bit lifeless and veiled. I also had to increase the main volume control by 1 more click on the stepped attenuator than usual.
I also noticed that the getter flashing on my 0C2 VR tubes seemed to have disappeared by more than 1/2.
The 0A3 also seemed to be dimmer than usual.

So I replaced all the VR tubes with completely NEW NOS ones.
OMG!!!
Now my Torii MK 4 seems to be reborn and sounding much better than I have ever remembered.
Those VR tubes can really make a big difference to the sonics of your Torii MK4.

IP Logged
RW82
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/14/15 at 04:50:10

Thanks for the advice.  I just had a second VR do the same thing in the last month or so.  I don't know if I can even hear a difference between channels, but I definitely think it is odd.  I'll probably just get a new pair since they're so cheap.  Thanks!

MBP 24 bit Audio via Oppo 103, PS Audio PWD Mk II DAC, Z-Stage, Pass Labs 30.8, Decware DM 947 Speakers.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print