SV83 ? (Read 8819 times)
Guy13
Verified Member

Audio should be
simple !

SV83 ?
01/31/15 at 03:54:20

Hi all,
I am the proud owner of a SE84C+ which was upgraded with the Hazen (?) upgrade.
As I understand it, to take advantage of that upgrade you need to use the SV83 tubes which is different with his connections inside the glass. I am now using Electro Harmonic EL84, with that tube do I get the advantage of the upgrade?
After some tube rolling, the EHEL84 sounds the best, but if I can get it to sound even better, but just buying the SV83 (Which are super inexpensive on the Internet) then I will be even happier.

Guy 13  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re:  SV83 ?
Reply #1 - 01/31/15 at 15:06:29

If I were to get SV83, I'd get them from Steve. They cost a little more through him, but he gets the cream of the crop shipped to him, gold grids and all that. Plus he tests and matches them himself with a maximatcher setup. It takes time, but the result is a better selection of tubes.

As for the Hazen mod - I feel it adds a bit of clarity to the sound. I noticed it immediately when mine was done. If you like the sound of the SV83, then you'll love it with the Hazen mod.

IMHO, some vintage EL84 can sound "better", but I do believe you lose the hazen feature...I could be wrong though. It's been a while since I've researched it. I happen to like the SV83 myself.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/31/15 at 15:09:49

You do lose the Hazen Grid mod with EL84.

I used to be "wowed" by the Hazen Grid sound but have found that in my Toriis I prefer the sound of tubes that don't see the benefit of the Hazen Grid mod, and that extra bit of "clarity" helps the very best recordings, but often hinders the mediocre ones from being better sounding. . . . So effectively I don't listen with the Hazen Grid mod in use.

I agree that buying the SV83 from Steve is a good idea. Lots of clunkers available otherwise. I have a modded (by Eddie Vaughn) C amp that does not have the Hazen Grid mod. I actually prefer EL84 in that machine to SV83 but it's system and source material dependent. . . for the ERR speakers and classical music I found the EL84 to be a better fit.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Guy13
Verified Member

Audio should be
simple !

Reply #3 - 02/01/15 at 03:27:36

Hi Lonely Raven and Lon,
thanks for your comments based on your experience.
I think my original SE84C came with the SV83,
a few years later I go the upgrade to SE84C+ (Hazen)
At the time, I did not check the model on the tube itself, therefore I can’t be sure of what model they were.
Later on when I did some tube rolling with the following tubes:
Electro-Harmonix EL84, Genalex - Gold Lion N709/EL84,
The EH EL84 was to me the best sounding tubes, lots of details and no aggressive sound, the Genalex Gold Lion is close but it’s missing the details at the top end.
However while doing tube rolling I dropped on the ceramic floor one SV83 with the consequences that you can imagine.
So, I kept the EH EL84 up to now.
But today I took the SV83 that survived the tube rolling and made a test, using it on the right channel and on the left channel, I kept the EH EL84.
I think the SV83 sounds a little better in the highs, but I’m not really sure, not easy since the two channels have different information, sometimes the cymbals are on the right side, sometimes on the left side. I’m sure you see what I mean.
Now, looking at the SV83 with a magnifying glass to confirm the model number, I was surprised to see the following number. Almost completely erased: 6U15U (The U letter in reverse, look like an N) 6N15N. (The date is 8502) no make.
Now, is it worth buying a pair of matched SV83 from Steve?
Yes, if the price is 50 USD for a matched pair.
Right now, I am in the process of moving back to my home country Canada after 20 years on planet Vietnam, so I’m sure you understand that I am not in a hurry to buy and test, especially that I am very satisfied with the sound I get from the EH EL84.
In addition the 6922 is now a EH 6922, the original was a 6H1N or 6H7N (The Russian N that looks like an upside down U)
I also have a Sylvania NOS 6922, but with my tests, the EH 6922 sounds as good as the two others, the Russian and Sylvania USA.
So, that’s it for now.
Next tube rolling will be later on this year.
Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Guy 13 on planet Vietnam,
but not for very much longer.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 02/01/15 at 17:50:49

Sounds like a good plan. If you're enjoying the sound, keep on enjoying! That's what it's all about.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/02/15 at 03:13:20

It has been my understanding that the original Zen amps were voiced to the Svetlana SV83 tube; however the more recent versions, such as Zen C+ and Super Zen CKC are voiced to the 6P15P-EV. These tubes are a little different from the SV83 and were made in different plants. So you might just obtain a good pair of 6P15P-EV from Steve.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print