Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 23:18:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Grounded power outlet? (Read 12788 times)
Phillip Griffith
Verified Member

Grounded power outlet?
01/12/15 at 23:15:24

I'm in an old house with mostly ungrounded power outlets.  From reading the plans for the Zen kits, it appears having a grounded power supply is necessary.  Does this mean I need to invest in a grounded circuit before I consider buying a tube amp?

There must be plenty of other folks here in old houses.  What do you do?

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: Grounded power outlet?
Reply #1 - 01/12/15 at 23:32:12

If its an old house it probably uses conduit to run the wires. All you need to do is buy a new outlet with the ground pin(3 holes). Once you put those in you are grounded. If you have romex, just hook up the green wire to the new outlet green screw. Anyway you look at it all you need is a new outlet. I like the 20 amp outlets. They hold the plug in better and they usually have a pressure clamp system to hold the wires so you don't have to loop it around the screw.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/13/15 at 00:22:07

What dk said! You'll be fine.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Phillip Griffith
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/13/15 at 22:20:35

I'll call an electrician.  My electrical expertise is mostly limited to changing flashlight batteries, and I don't always get that right.  Reading the Zen amp plans was a Walter Mitty fantasy for me.

Once I get my grounded power outlet, does that mean I can start exploring the world of power conditioning?  I'm thinking Tripp-Lite is the budget choice, with Furman for pro audio, Monster for home theater, and PS Audio for audiophiles.  Am I leaving anybody out?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/13/15 at 23:15:21

Add one more Conditioner to your list to research.  I use Running Springs Audio Conditioners in both systems.  A Jaco in the Listening Cave and a Haley in the Den.  A fellow Decware owner/poster recommended them.  I think they do a fine job.  Mark.

PS...here's a used one...looks like a deal.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/749200/running-springs-audio-haley-power-conditioner-6-...

http://power.apitech.com/audio-power-conditioners-and-cords.aspx

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/13/15 at 23:36:34

I had an old house in LA that used 2 wire Romex.  No ground.  It may not be as simple as installing a grounded outlet.  Although, it might be as simple as running a ground to a copper water pipe for the one circuit.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6 - 01/14/15 at 22:57:40

Hey all.  I've read many a good review on the , Blue Circle Audio - PLC thingee FX2 Xoe available with 4 or 6 outlets ( power conditioner).  Touted as a giant killer & priced right at $495 for the 6 outlet. I pulled the plug and just purchased one. Will give my impressions once installed and settled in. I currently have no power regeneration in my system.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7 - 01/14/15 at 22:59:08

PS. will be changing wall power recepticle to a Hubbell 8300.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 06/29/18 at 01:50:09

Ace, how did the blue circle thingee work out?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #9 - 06/29/18 at 19:26:18

Geno,  Very well. Absolutely no complaints. I may add a bit more once some $$ frees up. Good bang for the buck!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 09/12/18 at 20:16:08

In reference to the two wire grounding, I am hoping that conduit idea was used. Probably not, and if so, you still have to prove that it was connected... ALL the way to the AC panel. Anyway, the same may apply to the water pipe idea. Let's say that you find a copper pipe to connect to. That is fine, as long as that pipe isn't fed by a plastic pipe. Then there are those that will tell you to use a ground rod, separate from the power panel. Again, not the best idea, since you want ALL AC in the house referenced to the main AC panel. It would be great to think that you have access from an unfinished basement so that you could run a separate ground wire to your receptacle, but I am probably dreming.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print