Send Topic Print
Rachael and Monolith (Read 8017 times)
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Rachael and Monolith
12/15/14 at 17:14:54

I need some opinions from all the knowledgeable people on this site. Out of all the speakers Steve has, it seems that the Monoliths would have the ability to work in my living room driven off the Rachael I got in October. Numbers wise, the low end seems to be present although that can vary on room placement. Any input? Who is using a Rachael to power Monoliths? Thanks, and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
BillO
Verified Member

Re: Rachael and Monolith
Reply #1 - 12/17/14 at 19:18:09

I can't speak to your exact combination - yet - because my monolith bases won't be delivered until after Christmas. But I have been using my Rachel with DM945's (on good stands) for several months. It is a marvelous combination. I have a powered subwoofer available but haven't  seen fit to hook it up because the bass is outstanding as is. I will post something when I get the complete combo but, for now, I couldn't be happier with my Decware rig.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 12/18/14 at 14:53:38

BillO- Thanks for the insights. I originally thought that the Monoliths might be the way to go, but rethinking the 94 db and 6 ohms it may be the HDT's with my Rachael. I have some serious thinking/research to do this coming week before the ''deal'' on the Monoliths runs out. Thanks, and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
BillO
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/19/14 at 20:56:51

I suggest you call Steve and discuss your room and preferences with him before you decide. He has always given me good advice. I know from personal experience that, because of their nature, full range driver speakers like the HDT's sound quite different from more conventional two ways like the DM945's.

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/10/15 at 14:41:50

I have a set of HDT's connected to a Rachel in my office.  For me, it's the reference sound I keep going back to compare to.  Even with shitty speaker wire they are an AMAZING combination.  I would STRONGLY recommend you consider the HDTs.  I just got Monoliths, and they are still breaking in, so I can't give you a true comparison yet.  As with all of my Decware stuff, the nice thing to remember is that you will never be disappointed - its just a matter of subtle differences and tweaks in awesome performance all around.  

DECWARE: SE34I.2, HDTs; CSP2, TABOO, Zen Styx, RL 1.5s; Mystery Amp, ZDAC-1, Klipsch KLF-30s; Bridged Raches with Klipsch Forte IIs and Monoliths
  IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/12/15 at 12:30:08

15 hours in on the Monoliths with the Rachel and they are super impressive.  They may have overtaken my allegiance to the HDTs.  More mid and upper detail here.  More attack.  Be patient on the break in, but you will not be disapointed with these!

DECWARE: SE34I.2, HDTs; CSP2, TABOO, Zen Styx, RL 1.5s; Mystery Amp, ZDAC-1, Klipsch KLF-30s; Bridged Raches with Klipsch Forte IIs and Monoliths
  IP Logged
BillO
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/30/15 at 01:10:59

UPDATE: I now have a month on my Monoliths (my DM945's were already well broken in - see above). I have gone back and forth between my Rachael (SE34I.4 with Jupiter II caps and 4 inputs) and my MINI TORII. Although the little guy is fantastic with these speakers (no bad choices with DECWARE), I prefer the Rachael. The bass is a bit tighter and cleaner and the soundstage wider (although the Mini has a bit more depth). Dynamics are a toss up with the Mini perhaps a bit better. But overall, the nod goes to Rachael. I've tried a pair of Golden Treasure KT-88's (great mid and lower bass), and Winged C EL34's. Although they are less expensive, my favorites so far are JJEL34's with Cryoset treatment. Can't wait to hear how it all sounds with a couple of hundred hours break in.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print