Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 22:26:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preamp recommendations (Read 8909 times)
RJR
Seasoned Member

Preamp recommendations
11/28/14 at 14:28:22

I am considering purchasing a preamp.  I currently have the Torii MK3, Zu Omen Def 1B version, squeezebox classic for digital and Music Hall MMF5.1 turntable.  

I actually was considering selling my Omen Def's and upgrading to the new Omen Def MK2 with Radian 850 tweeter.  I felt the sound may be different and a bit better???, but I would be better served to invest my money in a preamp.  Actually the Omen Def that I have sound great. Eventually I am going to upgrade to a different digital system.  Sony has the HAP-Z1ES and Auralic has the Aries, but I want to wait until more systems become available.

I am interested in the Decware, yet I would rather have a white CSP2+ to match my white Torii MK3.  Though they are no longer available to purchase new and used are very tough to get.  So what preamps do you use that have added weight and dimensionality to your system?  Overall improved the sound of your system.

Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Preamp recommendations
Reply #1 - 11/28/14 at 15:18:04

I recommend the CSP3 or CSP2 or CSP2+ if you can get one, and if the black top is not a limiting factor. These are excellent preamps. I have three CSP2+ and a CSP2 in the old metal chassis! I am using a white top CSP2+ with a black top Torii Mk II and one day I might buy a CSP3 so that I have matching black tops and could sell the white topped CSP2+, but that day is in the misty future. . . don't have the dough right now for that cookie! The white topped ones do pop up now and then though if you want to and can be patient. . . .

I have tried a few other preamps over the last decade but none really does what the CSP series do, which is what you want done. . . . Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
RJR
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/12/14 at 04:22:37

I am now considering the CSP3, yet I have not ordered it because I am still looking for some feedback.  For those that use a CSP with the Torii MK model amps, here are my Q's.

Can the CSP3 actually improve upon the sound of a recording/music?  
Can it actually add weight to the music?
Overall, will there be a noticeable improvement or just an incremental difference?  

From the statement, "The CSP3 is a tube preamplifier that does two things:  It makes your DAC sound better - like twice as good - and it makes your amplifier sound better - a lot better."  I should have ordered it when I got my Torii MK3.  

Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/12/14 at 11:53:35

I would say "Yes" to your first two questions but to be honest I think the Mk III needs the improvement/will exhibit the improvement less than the other amps I've used with the CSP series preamps (Select, SET Monoblocks, C amp, Integrated, Mk II). I love the Mk III and my best sound from my digital source is with the source going directly into the Mk III. In part this is because I can use my very best interconnect (VooDoo Cable Stradivarius) of whcih I only have one pair.  It's possible that rolling cables may grant you the improvements you seek without a CSP3 if you do not need an additional input for an additional source.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/12/14 at 21:09:02

Quote:
RJR Wrote:

Overall, will there be a noticeable improvement or just an incremental difference?

I initially purchased a Zen (2 watts) some 15 years ago and paired it with Klipsch RF-7's (102db) which I still use today. After a year or so I did purchase a CSP+ production pre-amp primarily in an attempt to add weight. It did add some Weight on the Bottom but I have to say the improvement was incremental.

So the CSP did add some weight on the bottom and some added resolution on the top end. Cymbals for instance become a bit more prominent. Again somewhat incremental. One thing I found was that the CSP was sensitive to the type of interconnects used. The wrong interconnects would actually degrade overall performance.

A few years ago I added an HSU Mid Bass Module to my system connected via speaker level connections. This added a great deal of Weight to the bottom end and integrates seamlessly in my system. Since the MBM has it's own amplifier you simply dial in the amount of bottom end you want based on your room and listening taste.

I should mention I listen primarily to Blues, Blues Rock & Rock. I'm currently auditioning a Peachtree Integrated Amplifier with 220 watts. With this amp I get more Bass out of my Speakers compared to the Zen but the Mid Bass Module still adds a lot of detail to the bottom end. My point being, simply throwing more Watts at your speakers does not necessarily add enough Weight to the low end where in your case you are looking for it.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1360355711/0

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 12/14/14 at 21:24:29

As an aside, I tried a different pre-amp a few years ago that was incredible. I can't say it had the options of a Decware pre-amp, but it was quite an experience. It was a kit that was battery powered, tubed, and cheap. Bottle Head offers it, and the only thing that I would at this time is that I would build it again. Now, I HAVE to add that the parts contained in this pre-amp are not what I would prefer, so a LOT of upgrades were employed. For $99, it can be squeezed easily into a second system, but you would be amiss if you didn't try it out on your main system. Just a thought.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/14/14 at 22:27:44

There was talk about a new Preamp from Decware coming out sometime next year.  I'm not sure what timeline you are on, but this would probably be worth waiting for.

I wanted a remote with volume and switching features that also could accomodate 4 inputs  that the CSP could not provide, so after some expreimenting I settled on a McIntosh C220 preamp that pairs nicely with the Decware Taboo MK II that I have.  I have also heard good feedback that the McIntosh C2300 and C2500 work great with the Torii and ZMA as well.

The Wyred4Sound STP-SE Preamp is also worth mentioning that pairs nicely with Decware.  Higher end preamps like the Aesthetix Calypso also provide an excellent match albiet expensive.

Finally I've heard really good things about Audio By Van Alstine and Croft Acoustics Micro 25R (UK brand).

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #7 - 12/20/14 at 02:09:18

RJR,

As a preamp,  my experience with the CSP3 has been mixed.

In my system, I prefer to leave the CSP3 out of the Torii MK4 audio chain due to my preference for transparency over more tube lushness, which is already present in my system.

I posted my detailed findings over here
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1386397153

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 12/20/14 at 14:48:46

Quote:
In my system, I prefer to leave the CSP3 out of the Torii MK4 audio chain due to my preference for transparency over more tube lushness, which is already present in my system.

In general, I feel the same way. The better my source gets (PS Audio DirectStream DAC currently), the more I want that transparency...the more transparency I have, the more I get *into* the music.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
RJR
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/20/14 at 16:25:49

Thanks so much for the replies.  I really appreciate your input.  

After having my system set up for over a year now, it sounds really good.  Though, I figured that a preamp would add "more" to my system overall and, of course, give me the opportunity to use headphones.  I actually really want to upgrade my Squeezebox Classic, but I am probably going to wait since there will be more devices introduced.  I looked at the Sony Hi Rez player since it has an internal hard drive.  I also looked at the Auralic Aries.  

I still wish there were more folks near me (Hampton Roads VA) with audio equipment that I can A/B test to see if a component really makes a difference.  The 30 day free trials are great, but shipping adds up quickly.

Maybe I'll just buy some tubes and see what differences they make.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/20/14 at 21:49:54

Hey RJR.

Quote:

Yes, yes and yes. Potential complications come in when you are starting with a very revealing system/room. And then there is the fact that everything depends on everything else…tubes, source, cables etc. If any one part is lacking, it will bring the whole system to that level. Or if the speakers or room are bright or dark, we avoid changes that accentuate those things.

I was pulling all I could from the MKIII system, and I found the CSP3 with a good power cord, good interconnects and feet really exciting. It changed the sound, but I really liked how it did it, and my system was super revealing relatively speaking.

Then I had Beeswax caps put in the CSP3, and in the meantime got a MKIV, which is more revealing than the MKIII, particularly in micro detail and with the Reconstructive Feedback on. And since I love complex detail, things got complicated for a while because the CSP3 with stock tubes was masking fine detail I had come to expect from the MKIV.

The MKIV (with the very revealing Tranquility DAC, how I had it cabled and tubed, and with its beeswax caps) was improved by the CSP3 with more adjustable weight, dynamics and body, and was nicely open and detailed, but the pre was capping the the micro detail and in turn, the tonal realism...enough to hurt for me. It's everywhere, but shows up a lot in ambient information, airy aspects of instruments and voices, cymbal shimmer, attack and decay, etc. and I did not want to sacrifice any of it. So I started playing around with cables, feet and tubes.

Starting with cables, the best combination for micro detail that I could come up with, the CSP3 was still a mixed bag for me too. Still the complaint was mainly reduced micro detail. But after everything was fully burned in, and finding the right tubes, I got to where there is no discernible loss and several areas of gain, so I definitely prefer the CSP3 in.

That said, the way I have it set up, and with both the MKIV and CSP having jupiter caps, their signatures are similar. Also the MKIV has more complex detail, solid tone, and dynamics than the MKIII, things the CSP does well. So what the CSP offers it is a bit less dramatic with the MKIV, but I still find it quite an asset here. It offers potential for adjusting the dynamics, weight, and body, but the coolest thing about the CSP3 to me is the OTL factor which is hard to explain. It gives a spacious clarity and tonal density at the same time, but the density has no sense of muddiness, the opposite in fact, the OTL clarification across the spectrum. So the density in just a more pronounced expression of tone. Here, these bring another level of lucidity and realism to the presentation.

I got a really good taste of this with more-or-less the stock CSP3 caps and tubes with the MKIII system, really nice…. The MKIV system, having grown more refined and complex tonally, needed more work. Also the difference (both with jupiter caps) with and without pre is less dramatic, but I just A-B'd again, and I am really glad to have the CSP3 in there.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print