Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possible New Owner (Read 8229 times)
Kpfeifle
Verified Member

Possible New Owner
11/20/14 at 00:13:47

Hi All,
Couple of quick questions. I do most of my listening now with a Woo WA6-SE headphone amp and a variety of headphones.  As I'm in a small apartment, that seemed to make the most sense.  I would like to try a speaker setup to expand my enjoyment. To that end I was thinking of the SE84ckc. I like the price point and the looks, and from what I'm reading, it seems like a great amp.  If I want that route, what speaker would make sense?  I'm thinking something like maybe the Tekton Mini Lore?  Not sure if anybody has this.  I listen to all sorts of music, but really like female vocals (think Rickie Lee Jones) and most Jazz, with hard bop a real favorite.  My listening room is small, say 15 x 20 and the speakers would go on the long side of the wall.  I'm open to any suggestion, but would like to keep the price for the amp, speakers and cable under 2k.  Am I heading in the right direction?

Kevin

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: Possible New Owner
Reply #1 - 11/20/14 at 00:26:39

Hey Kevin, I have my SE84 hooked to a pair of Tekton Lores. Room is 11' x 16' x 8H.  I rarely turn volume knob past 10 o'clock.  If I push the bias toggle switch to face rear of amp then my volume know goes down to 9 o'clock. You can contact tekton and he will make recommendation..which is what I did. I do the above with both my CD player or turntable with great results. So, I'd say your on the right track.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/20/14 at 01:03:39

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 11/20/14 at 04:34:39

Wow, those M-lore look good for the money, and @95db!!

I wish I had so many options when I got my 2 watt Zen amp 16 years ago - I probably would have stuck with audio a lot more than I did.

I'm not familiar with the speakers, but the amp you chose is good!  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/20/14 at 13:11:36

Amp is a great choice. Also there is a nice pair of speakers for sale in the classifieds section that would pair up nicely. Shameless plug, sorry.  :-[

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1413900346

Shipping would be an issue price wise depending on where you live.
John

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 11/20/14 at 15:53:23

I'm very happy with my MG944 - that I can attest to sounding great with the Zen amp!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/20/14 at 17:28:52

I too am using MG944's with a Zen Mystery Amp.  Great speakers that hit well above their price point.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/20/14 at 18:28:24

Great amp choice, that's what i would go with in Steve's current line-up as well. Here are some compatible speakers within your price range:

Decware ~ DM947 (Monoliths),
Omega ~ Super 7 XRS
Omega ~ Super AlNiCo Monitors (IMO these may be an excellent match to your music preferences)
Zu Audio ~ Souls
Tekton Designs ~ Lores
Klipsch ~ most Klipsch horns are very efficient

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/20/14 at 18:32:07

I should have mentioned that I also use my SuperZen (CKC) with the MG944's, but it gets a lot less use these days with the ZMA in the mix.

IP Logged
Kpfeifle
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 11/25/14 at 17:18:15

What output transformer should I go with if I get the se84ckc and the mini lores?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/26/14 at 07:48:24

Kpfeifle wrote on 11/25/14 at 17:18:15:
What output transformer should I go with if I get the se84ckc and the mini lores?

Either option will drive the Mini Lore.  It's best to check with Steve, but the 4 Ohm OT (normal option) seems more sensible since I believe the Mini Lore has a crossover network.  

IIRC the 8-16 output transformer are meant for higher impedance speakers or 8 Ohm single driver speakers that lack a crossover.  For example the Zu Soul Superfly @ 16 Ohms and Omega 7XRS (8 Ohms, but no crossover) are good examples to use with the 8-16 OT.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print